South Bend "self-tour" #1: UAW Local 5

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• South Bend "self-tour" #1: UAW Local 5

The Wednesday of the meet at South Bend, Local #5 of the UAW was on my list of 'must see before I leave'. Last time I was there was 1983, just after the big mural was unveiled celebrating the union's 50th Anniversary which includes a lot of Studebaker content. The mural is in two parts on opposite walls of the main auditorium. Next year, the union celebrates 75 years, and there is talk of a 'part 3' sequel to add to the existing mural, but of course, there won't be any Studebaker content in the part unfortunately.

The building was built in 1961. It seems apparent even the union was confident Studebaker was still going to keep on building cars and trucks.....

Selected photos of the murals on the walls.

As most everyone knows, the union was both Studebaker's friend and foe. When the going was good, they got along well. During the war, the Studebaker donated this piano to the Local. It is included in the mural, being delivered by a Studebaker truck, even though one cannot see the front!!

Next stop: The Foundry

Craig

Craig,

Thanks for the photos. Like virtually everyone else who was in South Bend I drove right by the union hall on my way to the fairgrounds. Thanks to you, BP and Mr. Biggs for stepping out and poking around to see the items on the less traveled road.

Gary

Join me in removing narcissists, trolls, self annoited "experts" and general idiots via the Ignore button.

The official SDC Forum heel nipper ���

�Middle age is when your broad mind and narrow waist begin to change places.� E. Joseph Cossman

For every mile of road, there are 2 miles of ditch. ���

"All lies matter - fight the kleptocracy"

Comment

Craig,

Thanks for the photos. Like virtually everyone else who was in South Bend I drove right by the union hall on my way to the fairgrounds. Thanks to you, BP and Mr. Biggs for stepping out and poking around to see the items on the less traveled road.

Gary

Join me in removing narcissists, trolls, self annoited "experts" and general idiots via the Ignore button.

�Middle age is when your broad mind and narrow waist begin to change places.� E. Joseph Cossman

Comment

quote:Originally posted by 8E45E

The Wednesday of the meet at South Bend, Local #5 of the UAW was on my list of 'must see before I leave'. Last time I was there was 1983, just after the big mural was unveiled celebrating the union's 50th Anniversary which includes a lot of Studebaker content. The mural is in two parts on opposite walls of the main auditorium. Next year, the union celebrates 75 years, and there is talk of a 'part 3' sequel to add to the existing mural, but of course, there won't be any Studebaker content in the part unfortunately. <snip>

The building was built in 1961. It seems apparent even the union was confident Studebaker was still going to keep on building cars and trucks.....

Craig
        Thanks Craig! Apparently, the Union (UAW Local #5) STILL has confidence in Studebaker ...Studebaker people that is... as the local Chapter of SDC is welcome to hold their monthly meetings in that main auditorium.

<h4>Last Man Standing in Studebaker Indiana</h4>

Comment

quote:Originally posted by 8E45E

The Wednesday of the meet at South Bend, Local #5 of the UAW was on my list of 'must see before I leave'. Last time I was there was 1983, just after the big mural was unveiled celebrating the union's 50th Anniversary which includes a lot of Studebaker content. The mural is in two parts on opposite walls of the main auditorium. Next year, the union celebrates 75 years, and there is talk of a 'part 3' sequel to add to the existing mural, but of course, there won't be any Studebaker content in the part unfortunately. &lt;snip&gt;

Craig
          Thanks Craig! Apparently, the Union (UAW Local #5) STILL has confidence in Studebaker ...Studebaker people that is... as the local Chapter of SDC is welcome to hold their monthly meetings in that main auditorium.

<h4>Last Man Standing in Studebaker Indiana</h4>

Comment

I have to admit checking with the local hall would not have been on my list of things to see while in South Bend. Glad you made the effort, Thanks.

Randy_G
            1959 Lark Sedan
            www.AutomotiveHistoryOnline.com

Comment

I have to admit checking with the local hall would not have been on my list of things to see while in South Bend. Glad you made the effort, Thanks.

Randy_G
              1959 Lark Sedan
              www.AutomotiveHistoryOnline.com

Comment

Brought Tears to my eyes to realise how many men from that small area and one local died in the 2nd war. How easy for us that remain to forget what gives us our freedom. IT SURE AIN'T OUR GOVERMENT.

Comment

Brought Tears to my eyes to realise how many men from that small area and one local died in the 2nd war. How easy for us that remain to forget what gives us our freedom. IT SURE AIN'T OUR GOVERMENT.

Comment

It looks like the names at the bottom of each of the three middle columns were added later. Were they potentially MIA and later confirmed as killed in action?

Comment

It looks like the names at the bottom of each of the three middle columns were added later. Were they potentially MIA and later confirmed as killed in action?

Comment

Craig, Thanks for sharing.

63 Twin Supercharged Avanti
                        64 Avanti R3w/NOS
                        88LSC Avanti 350 Supercharged w/NOS

Comment

Craig, Thanks for sharing.

63 Twin Supercharged Avanti
                          64 Avanti R3w/NOS
                          88LSC Avanti 350 Supercharged w/NOS

Comment

quote:Originally posted by Guido

Comment

quote:Originally posted by Guido

Comment

Working...
                              X