Stu Cool is Home!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Stu Cool is Home!

19 days, 4,688 Miles, 209 gallons of gas, 8 passes down the drag strip, a master cylinder, two front tires, a front end alignment, 1038 songs on the IPOD, some stress and anxiety, and a whole lot of fun and satisfaction!

Also catching up a couple other stops along our journey. Here we are in Lovelock Nevada, just had to stop at "2 Stiffs Selling Gas." I remember seeing signs for those gas stations when driving across the Nevada Desert with my folks more than 40 years ago.

And here is Stu Cool representing the marque at Hot August Nights in Reno. The miss matched tires only brought a couple comments. Many more comments we all know, "Ahead of their time, don't see many of those, Which Hawk is it? and during the cruise nights overhearing people say look at the Thunderbird."

Pat Dilling
    Olivehurst, CA
    Custom '53 Starlight aka STU COOL

LS1 Engine Swap Journal: http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/jour...ournalid=33611

Drag strip tires for next year..........

Comment

Pat,
      I am thankful you made it home safe and sound, even though a little worse for wear.

It was my peasure to meet you at the national meet, and talk about your LS engine installation a little bit.

Your pictorial history of the making of your car on another site has ben quite helpful.

Best regards as always,
      Gene Robb
      sigpic 1963 Studebaker Avanti: LS1 motor and T-56 transmission have been moved rearward, set up as a two seat coupe with independent rear suspension. Complex solutions for nonexistant problems.

Comment

4,688 Miles and 209 gallons of gas............

That's better than 22 miles per gallon! Way to go Pat!
        Paul
        Winston-Salem, NC
        Visit The Studebaker Skytop Registry website at: www.studebakerskytop.com

Comment

Your figures represent 22.43 miles per gallon! Not bad at all !! In fact VERY GOOD with your racing included in there. Thanks for your great pictures of the Big Meet in SoBend and happy to see you're back home where the women are strong, the men are good looking, and the children are above average.
          JimsLeadCommander

Comment

Pat

Let me echo Gene's thoughts about meeting you and watching you at the drags. Hope you get the A/C issue sorted out quickly.

Looks better in person than pictures. The Stude that is.

Bob

Comment

So, how come you didn't go to Napa today?
              Jon Stalnaker
              Karel Staple Chapter SDC

Comment

Pat,I stopped on way to South Bend to snap a picture I thoughjt was cool! Randy Wilkin
                Randy Wilkin
                1946 M5 Streetrod
                Hillsboro,Ohio 45133

Comment

Glad you made it home with no more excitement. Zack was worried about your car. He came to the shop Sat. And worked on his. First thing he did was install a master cylinder. I'll try to get Sabrina to post a picture of his 54 so you can see the family resembalence.
                  Neil Thornton

Comment

Glad to see you home and STUCOOL resting comfortably.
                    Tom
                    sigpic

Comment

Good to hear you made it back ok with only a few issues. Now you've got 11 months to get the issues settled for a shorter trip to Colorado Springs next year! It was nice meeting you at South Bend. Good Roads!
                      sigpic[SIGPIC]

Comment

Good to see you again Pat. See you in Colorado.

Denny L

Comment

Quite the driving adventure you experienced, good to meet you, although short, next time I 'll visit after you've had breakfast and the judges have left.

Curious what you found out about the master cylinder problem?
                          61 Lark

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by 4961Studebaker View Post
                            Quite the driving adventure you experienced, good to meet you, although short, next time I 'll visit after you've had breakfast and the judges have left.

Curious what you found out about the master cylinder problem?
                            As near we could figure out, the seals in the master cylinder must have rolled over and jammed the front piston in the cylinder and the spring was not strong enough to push it back. Since it could not retract, no fluid was being applied to the calipers. Still not sure exactly why that happened. With the new cylinder, the brakes are working great now, but I don't want a repeat. I am going to revisit my brake pedal linkage geometry and make sure the return spring for my pedal is doing its job.

I thought I was going to get a chance to chat with you some more during the parade to town, but you must have found another ride. Next time maybe.
                            Pat Dilling
                            Olivehurst, CA
                            Custom '53 Starlight aka STU COOL

LS1 Engine Swap Journal: http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/jour...ournalid=33611

Comment

Congrats Pat,
                              Hopefully I will get a chance to chat with you more in the future. I may drive my hawk from Lancaster ca next year.
                              Take care and see you then

Comment

Working...
                              X