Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Just discovered GT Hawk 64V8006 SED64VK6 California car within 35 miles of the house

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

That could explain it.

Originally posted by studegary View Post
    Unless I am not thinking right tonight, I do not remember power windows as being an option on 1964 Hawks.
    edp/NC
    \'63 Avanti
    \'66 Commander

Comment

Thanks, but it's gonna take some work, time and money on this GT Hawk project - but all the basics are there and sans rust :-). I've always wanted a '63 or '64 GT Hawk. To pick up a good one, local and cheap was certainly a blessing.

I've been working on my Avanti for over 3 years now. Most recently had the supercharger rebuilt by Jon Myers. My brother removed and re-installed it and detailed under the hood at the time. I have had the back seats recovered and a new headliner, but now it's time to spring for the front seats to be covered and new carpet. Plus my Tach appears to be completely worn out. It's acting totally erratic. However, the Avanti runs good, is totally presentable "as is" and in 100x better condition than when I bought it.

Originally posted by maxpower1954 View Post
      Nice score! Looking forward to seeing it at NCSDC meets. As for the A/C, I lived in the San Francisco area for years and never missed not having it! Russ Farris
      edp/NC
      \'63 Avanti
      \'66 Commander

Comment

I feel the main thing is you have the Hawk and it will be safe until you can work on it, so many just left outside to rot.
        John Clements
        Christchurch, New Zealand

Comment

I love these kinds of stories. We look and look for that special vehicle, and it turns up right under our nose...... My Champ was less than 10 miles from my house. Anyway, it looks like you have the start of a great project. The GT Hawk Is a fine road car and a beautiful one also.
          1962 Champ

51 Commander 4 door

Comment

If you do a frame off you'll have about what its worth just in parts but if your not going to try to flip it who cares. You'll have a new hawk when done. Thats where I'll be with mine but I plan to own it untill I can't drive anymore.

Comment

Take a look at my signature picture every time you start to loose interest, it will lift you up some, 64's are the best ones and the AM/FM is hard find, unless you look in mine, nice find have fun with it.
              Candbstudebakers
              Castro Valley,
              California

Comment

Oh, great Edwin....
                Now the GT Hawk people are going to start every thread with a serial number, too?

(You know I'm just kidding you, right?)
                HTIH (Hope The Info Helps)

Jeff

Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

Note: SDC# 070190 (and earlier...)

Comment

Silly real job has prevented virtually any work on my new toy. We did get it cleaned out and it appears that all chrome, trim, bolts, air breather, and even extra pieces like new Gates molded radiator hoses are present. And we got all the lug nuts broke loose so I can get some real tires on it to replace the flat rotted goo that's left on the wheels now. One big disappointment was discovery of a rust hole in the upper right floorboard on the passenger's side. I thought I had actually found a non-Avanti rust free Studebaker (lol). But, the rest of the floorboard, fenders, quarters, doors and trunk are pretty darn solid. So I'm not complaining too much. We also discovered the car has front disc brakes.
                  edp/NC
                  \'63 Avanti
                  \'66 Commander

Comment

Yep. Tens of thousands of bucks might get her looking that nice someday. But I can't ever match that little oval Avanti Powered symbol with this GT. I think I'm just gonna slap some tires on it, get it painted, the interior fixed, have gas tank cleaned and have my brother address all the unknown mechanical/electrical issues. I may even add on A/C. It won't be show quality, but I should have a heckuva nice, comfortable driver with a little 4 bbl oomph! And, it shouldn't bust my wallet like the Avanti did.

Originally posted by candbstudebakers View Post
                    Take a look at my signature picture every time you start to loose interest, it will lift you up some, 64's are the best ones and the AM/FM is hard find, unless you look in mine, nice find have fun with it.
                    edp/NC
                    \'63 Avanti
                    \'66 Commander

Comment

Not a whole lot of progress to report on this pup. We did get the rotted gooey tires off and a new set whitewalls on in their place. At least the car can be rolled now. The front brake calipers had been removed and stored in the parts boxes. The rotors look ok. My brother removed the carb to clean out all the insect larvae that got in and on it even though it was covered with plastic. It will definitely require an AFB rebuild kit. Again, the air cleaner was stored in the parts boxes. Seems like it would've been better to have left it in place. We removed the plugs, which didn't look too bad, and lubricated the cylinders. I want to get the engine checked to see if it is free or locked up next. And, I also want that rust hole in the upper corner of the passenger side floorboard fixed pretty quick. The car really does have very little rust - which is peculiar for a Stude.
                      edp/NC
                      \'63 Avanti
                      \'66 Commander

Comment

Working...
                      X