56 coming---58 Starlight going

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hey Mr Bill

You just described what I'd build with this car too! The only addition I'd make is to fit it with Packard 320 ci or 352 ci V8 and Ultramatic transmission......if there is enough space to accommodate.

Steve

I do believe that would be one sharp car. Regarding the Packard V8 and Ultramatic, as evidenced in the '56 Golden Hawk, that set-up might be a little heavy on the Studebaker front suspension and frame. I'd transplant the 289/Supercharger/Flight-O-Matic from the '57 Clipper donor car.

Bill Sapp (Mr. Bill)
    Hamlet, NC
    Last edited by Mr. Bill; 08-12-2012, 07:52 AM.

Comment

To: Mr. Bill & 56H-Y6,-------I agree, the 'dream car' that You're describing, with that final tweak in post #16, done up properly, would really be an outstanding Studebaker/Packard (in my opinion)

Comment

Originally posted by Mr. Bill View Post
        Hey Mr Bill

You just described what I'd build with this car too! The only addition I'd make is to fit it with Packard 320 ci or 352 ci V8 and Ultramatic transmission......if there is enough space to accommodate.

Steve

I do believe that would be one sharp car. Regarding the Packard V8 and Ultramatic, as evidenced in the '56 Golden Hawk, that set-up might be a little heavy on the Studebaker front suspension and frame. I'd transplant the 289/Supercharger/Flight-O-Matic from the '57 Clipper donor car.

Bill Sapp (Mr. Bill)
        Hamlet, NC
        There is very little difference in the weight of the Packard V8 and the Stude.....This is a fact. Studes weigh 685 lbs (without the supercharger system). The most I have ever seen a Packard listed was 720 lbs, and that was a fully dressed Carribean dual four engine. All of the criticisms were marketing hype. A Supercharged Stude V8 is within 15 lbs of a Packard V8.
        The Ultramatic was heavier though. Here is another point to ponder....the Packard V8 produced 405 ft lbs of torque@2800 rpm . The supercharged Stude 333@4500 rpm. The Packard V8 was balanced both staticly and dynamically. just stating known facts.
        Bez Auto Alchemy
        573-318-8948
        http://bezautoalchemy.com

"Don't believe every internet quote" Abe Lincoln

Comment

Just a few weeks ago I looked over a '56 Studebaker Golden Hawk with a Studebaker 289 conversion. The original fan shroud for the Packard setup was still in place. There must have been 4-5'' between the
          Studebaker 289 engine fan and that fan shroud.....and there lies the problem bezhawk. The Packard engine perhaps doesn't weigh that much more than the Studebaker....but it's significantly bulkier. In the 'dream car'
          described in the previous posts, the supercharged Stude would DEFINITELY be the better all around choice.

Comment

Working...
          X