X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rerun
    replied
    Originally posted by Jim B PEI View Post
    I didn't drive a Studebaker--but a 1960 Vauxhall Victor Super with extremely skinny tires, truly frightening brakes (even when they were in perfect operating shape), and a three on the tree. A 59 Lark V1 is a huge powerful roadcrusher in comparison.
    My father had a light blue '60 Vauxhall Victor Super. Pontiac dealers sold them here in the States before GM began building "compacts". Not a bad little car. Fortunately, he traded it on a '60 Lark w/259 before my driver's test.

Leave a comment:

• Chris_Dresbach
    replied
    I had a choice when I took mine. It was either the Studebaker or an early '80s Ford dump truck. I have to wonder what the BMV would have said about the dump truck...

Leave a comment:

• Greenstude
    replied
    Took my test in a heavy snowstorm on a February evening in 1959, with Dad's 1952 Dodge Mayfair 2-door hardtop (Canadian equivalent of a Plymouth Belevedere). The day before the test, a woman turning an icy corner too fast with her Morris Oxford ran into the Dodge while I was stopped at a Stop sign, so the Dodge had a smashed left front fender and no left headlight. In those days, it was the Fredericton City Police who gave the test, rather than professional provincial driving examiners, so this minor detail was ignored. Since I had an instruction permit, Dad also had to show his driver's license to the police officer (RCMP Oromocto Detachment) investigating the above collision. Neither of them noticed that Dad's driver's license was a year out of date --- when he renewed it almost a year earlier, he apparently tore up his new license instead of his old one.

Leave a comment:

• Tom Bredehoft
    replied
    Talk about those were the days... in '55 I got my license driving a 48 Packard. Glow in the dark instruments and all, no turn signals, open window in January.... I guess it worked, I'm still driving.

Leave a comment:

• Skinnys Garage
    replied
    My '59 Lark sat at home waiting for me to get my passenger car rating (already had a drivers license for motorcycle only), but didn't get to use it for the test. Completion of the drivers-ed course counted as the driving portion for my license. Don't really remember the cars used, but it was several different 1980 models including a Nissan with a stick.

Leave a comment:

• showbizkid
    replied
    I took my driving test in this '69 Caprice 4-door HT. Middle-class luxo all the way, baby! AM/FM 8-track... I was in heaven.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Caprice_April81.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	97.0 KB
ID:	1675132

Leave a comment:

• kurtruk
    replied
    Took and passed my driving test in a 1978 Dodge Omni. Those were the times.
    Attached Files

Leave a comment:

• old digger
    replied
    In 58 I took mine in my sisters new 57 Chev powerglide. Never having driven a automatic before, I rolled thru 2 stop signs before the tester told me to keep my foot on the brake pedal when I came to a stop. He asked me what I normally drove and I told him I had a 53 Stude Starliner with 3 speed and overdrive but the brakes were kind of poor and I was afraid I'd flunk if I took my test in it. He said he kind of felt sorry for me and passed me with a 75. Chevy had great brakes but I still think I had the better car. old digger

Leave a comment:

• 57 Classic
    replied
    1951 Commander Starlight, three on the tree in 1955.

Leave a comment:

• Bamajak
    replied
    I took my test in a 1963 Corvette convertable 4 speed, 300HP 327CID. The DMV man mispelled Corvett.

Leave a comment:

• Jim B PEI
    replied
    I didn't drive a Studebaker--but a 1960 Vauxhall Victor Super with extremely skinny tires, truly frightening brakes (even when they were in perfect operating shape), and a three on the tree. A 59 Lark V1 is a huge powerful roadcrusher in comparison.

Leave a comment:

• wayne
    replied
    1950 Champion in 1953

Leave a comment:

• 9echo
    replied
    I took my test in a 1950 Ford that was my father's demonstrator at his Ford dealership.
    My first car, the 1929 Willys-Knight was the one that I backed into the 50 Ford and put a dent
    in the grille.
    Not one of my happier days.

Leave a comment:

• Rerun
    replied
    1960 Lark in 1965.

Leave a comment:

• rockinhawk
    replied
    My wife didn't drive when we got married. I couldn't teach her in Jacksonville Fla traffic. The summer of1971 I did a job for my cousin in rural Georgia. We spent 6 weeks with my mother,and she taught my wife to drive a 61 Valient Wagon. When we got back home she took her test in a 62 Lark 4dr that had been enhanced with R1 Dist. cam & AFB. It was jacked up in the back, had glass packs and Scavenger pipes. The instructor kept saying "Slow down Lady,Slow down!" She was only going 25 mph..

Leave a comment:

Working...
X