No announcement yet.

Driving test in a Studebaker

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Talk about those were the days... in '55 I got my license driving a 48 Packard. Glow in the dark instruments and all, no turn signals, open window in January.... I guess it worked, I'm still driving.

Comment

Took my test in a heavy snowstorm on a February evening in 1959, with Dad's 1952 Dodge Mayfair 2-door hardtop (Canadian equivalent of a Plymouth Belevedere). The day before the test, a woman turning an icy corner too fast with her Morris Oxford ran into the Dodge while I was stopped at a Stop sign, so the Dodge had a smashed left front fender and no left headlight. In those days, it was the Fredericton City Police who gave the test, rather than professional provincial driving examiners, so this minor detail was ignored. Since I had an instruction permit, Dad also had to show his driver's license to the police officer (RCMP Oromocto Detachment) investigating the above collision. Neither of them noticed that Dad's driver's license was a year out of date --- when he renewed it almost a year earlier, he apparently tore up his new license instead of his old one.
      Bill Jarvis

Comment

I had a choice when I took mine. It was either the Studebaker or an early '80s Ford dump truck. I have to wonder what the BMV would have said about the dump truck...
        Chris Dresbach

Comment

Originally posted by Jim B PEI View Post
          I didn't drive a Studebaker--but a 1960 Vauxhall Victor Super with extremely skinny tires, truly frightening brakes (even when they were in perfect operating shape), and a three on the tree. A 59 Lark V1 is a huge powerful roadcrusher in comparison.
          My father had a light blue '60 Vauxhall Victor Super. Pontiac dealers sold them here in the States before GM began building "compacts". Not a bad little car. Fortunately, he traded it on a '60 Lark w/259 before my driver's test.
          Jim Bradley
          Lake Monticello, VA
          '78 Avanti II
          sigpic

Comment

Working...
          X