Driving test in a Studebaker

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Took My Driver's Test in a '59 Lark

I took my drivers test in a '59 Lark, made in Hamilton, Ontario. I believe it was in 1962. It had no power steering or brakes, no automatic and no radio. My late father worked at the plant he ordered it as bare as he could get it. That car was great on gas.

Click image for larger version

Name:	SusanandChristinesummer'59.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	89.4 KB
ID:	1675116
    ‚Äč
    Susan Lusted, What's Happening Turning Wheels
    studenews@outlook.com

Comment

In 1971 I took it in a '62 GT w/ 4-spd.

Comment

Looks like '59 Larks were used in a lot of the driver's tests. I used my dad's '59 Lark VI three speed OD for my test in 1963.
        Rick
        Kingman, AZ

Comment

I took my driver's test in my dad's '50 Nash Ambassador. However, the car was only 5 years old at the time. The big task for me was to parallel park that car. Not easy, but I aced it.
          Rog
          '59 Lark VI Regal Hardtop
          Smithtown,NY
          Recording Secretary, Long Island Studebaker Club

Comment

My wife didn't drive when we got married. I couldn't teach her in Jacksonville Fla traffic. The summer of1971 I did a job for my cousin in rural Georgia. We spent 6 weeks with my mother,and she taught my wife to drive a 61 Valient Wagon. When we got back home she took her test in a 62 Lark 4dr that had been enhanced with R1 Dist. cam & AFB. It was jacked up in the back, had glass packs and Scavenger pipes. The instructor kept saying "Slow down Lady,Slow down!" She was only going 25 mph..
            Neil Thornton

Comment

1960 Lark in 1965.
              Jim Bradley
              Lake Monticello, VA
              '78 Avanti II
              sigpic

Comment

I took my test in a 1950 Ford that was my father's demonstrator at his Ford dealership.
                My first car, the 1929 Willys-Knight was the one that I backed into the 50 Ford and put a dent
                in the grille.
                Not one of my happier days.

Comment

1950 Champion in 1953

Comment

I didn't drive a Studebaker--but a 1960 Vauxhall Victor Super with extremely skinny tires, truly frightening brakes (even when they were in perfect operating shape), and a three on the tree. A 59 Lark V1 is a huge powerful roadcrusher in comparison.

Comment

I took my test in a 1963 Corvette convertable 4 speed, 300HP 327CID. The DMV man mispelled Corvett.
                      Jack White
                      Charlotte,NC
                      North Carolina Studebaker Drivers Club

Comment

1951 Commander Starlight, three on the tree in 1955.

Comment

In 58 I took mine in my sisters new 57 Chev powerglide. Never having driven a automatic before, I rolled thru 2 stop signs before the tester told me to keep my foot on the brake pedal when I came to a stop. He asked me what I normally drove and I told him I had a 53 Stude Starliner with 3 speed and overdrive but the brakes were kind of poor and I was afraid I'd flunk if I took my test in it. He said he kind of felt sorry for me and passed me with a 75. Chevy had great brakes but I still think I had the better car. old digger

Comment

Took and passed my driving test in a 1978 Dodge Omni. Those were the times.
                            Attached Files
                            KURTRUK
                            (read it backwards)

Nothing is politically right which is morally wrong. -A. Lincoln

Comment

I took my driving test in this '69 Caprice 4-door HT. Middle-class luxo all the way, baby! AM/FM 8-track... I was in heaven.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Caprice_April81.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	97.0 KB
ID:	1675132

Clark in San Diego | '63 Standard (F2) "Barney" | http://studeblogger.blogspot.com

Comment

My '59 Lark sat at home waiting for me to get my passenger car rating (already had a drivers license for motorcycle only), but didn't get to use it for the test. Completion of the drivers-ed course counted as the driving portion for my license. Don't really remember the cars used, but it was several different 1980 models including a Nissan with a stick.
                                Skinny___'59 Lark VIII Regal____'60 Lark Marshal___

Comment

Working...
                                X