Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

1958 Studebaker sedans are due an apology...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 8E45E
    replied
    Originally posted by BobPalma View Post
    They were all made by the same company anyway...weren't they, Craig? BP
    Indeed! Just ask almost anyone on the street!

Craig

Leave a comment:

• BobPalma
    replied
    Originally posted by 8E45E View Post
    Then Studebaker would have been accused of copying Nash. Craig
    They were all made by the same company anyway...weren't they, Craig? BP

Leave a comment:

• 8E45E
    replied
    Originally posted by BobPalma View Post
    One curiosity of '58 Stude sedans I've considered is this: It wasn't fashionable yet, but Duncan McRae and his team could have stacked the quad headlights vertically, ala Pontiac for many years in the 1960s, and would not have had to widen the tops of the front fenders.

The grille treatment could have reverted to a narrower, more 1956-looking grille.
    Then Studebaker would have been accused of copying Nash.

Craig

Leave a comment:

• Corvanti
    replied
    Originally posted by studegary View Post
    I can't imagine that they will be priced at $3XK. I have read that they will be about $100K. I could be in the market for one at the former price, but not the later.
    i agree, Mr. L.

i believe the "author" left the 1 out as the first digit before the $ 3XK!

Leave a comment:

• studegary
    replied
    Originally posted by Corvanti View Post
    looks like the NSX will be available as a 2013 model:
    http://carissued.com/acura/2013-acur...e-reviews.html

and if the price in the article is accurate, they'll sell everyone built. (in Ohio btw)...
    I can't imagine that they will be priced at $3XK. I have read that they will be about $100K. I could be in the market for one at the former price, but not the later.

Leave a comment:

• Noxnabaker
    replied
    Yep, -58 was the times to be wide & low or at least look it... but/& big ugly grills wasn't even new then; look at a few years earlier Hudson, for example -55... or don't!

Leave a comment:

• Mr. Bill
    replied
    Mr. Palma: I have thought about the idea of stacking the headlights vertically as well. The '57 Ambassador and '58 Lincoln (and the '57 Lincoln with the supplementary stacked driving lights) would have given some idea as to how this might look on the Studebaker. While it may not have been as acceptable as positioning the quad headlights horizontally, stacking them vertically, in my opinion, would have been a better option for the narrow Studebaker body.

One day in my spare time, I'm going to experiment to see how a '58 would look with vertically stacked headlights.

Bill Sapp
    Hamlet, NC

Leave a comment:

• BobPalma
    replied
    One curiosity of '58 Stude sedans I've considered is this: It wasn't fashionable yet, but Duncan McRae and his team could have stacked the quad headlights vertically, ala Pontiac for many years in the 1960s, and would not have had to widen the tops of the front fenders.

The grille treatment could have reverted to a narrower, more 1956-looking grille.

Of course, vertical stacking wasn't "acceptable" in 1958, when everyone wanted to see their quad headlights positioned horizontally. BP

Leave a comment:

• parts2
    replied

Seems modern "design" is a combination of Anime and transformers cartoons..

Leave a comment:

• michelle
    replied
    Originally posted by rockne10 View Post
    Thanks for reminding me, Michelle.
    When I had my first Studebaker, almost forty years ago, many of them were still around and plying their task. When mine finally bit the dust and I was faced with getting a new dependable ride, I came to the realization that this little Lark made more sense, and was more fun, than anything on the used car lot.
    That led to the '60 convertible, '53 Starlight, '50 Land Cruiser, '63 Cruiser, '33 Rockne and '51 Starlight. It also led me to join the local SDC chapter. Over those forty years I have spent so much quality time with so many dear friends through an introduction by our favorite shared marque.
    When you get to be my age you start to realize, your life is about the friends you have made; Studebakers are just the vehicle.
    So true, rockne10! The people are what make this all so great!!!!! The cars are the icing on the cake.

Leave a comment:

• oldkystude
    replied
    Finally figured out what the new Lexus reminds me of:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PV0-j...e_gdata_player

Leave a comment:

• JGK 940
    replied
    Originally posted by rockne10 View Post
    John Steed would disapprove.
    Perhaps. But considering his willingness to wear side-zip, pointy-toed blue suede boots while working with Tara King, I am forced to believe he would at least be amused.

Tastes change, folks. I'd rather adapt and go looking to find something to praise where possible than sit around and pitch and moan because the world isn't exactly the way it may or may not have been two generations or more ago. I'm with Rich: I really like this year's Hyundais. Then again, I also think this NSX looks WICKED.

Jus' sayin'...
    Last edited by JGK 940; 08-10-2012, 05:51 PM.

Leave a comment:

• Bish
    replied
    The Bentley SUVs front end looks like a modern 61 Lark. I dont care if you all hate me!
    Bish

Leave a comment:

• Corvanti
    replied
    looks like the NSX will be available as a 2013 model:
    http://carissued.com/acura/2013-acur...e-reviews.html

and if the price in the article is accurate, they'll sell everyone built. (in Ohio btw)...

Leave a comment:

• Mr. Bill
    replied
    In my opinion, the '58 models are not that bad a design provided that one just looks at the car and does not study all the little details and nuances that make a '58, a '58. For example, once one studies the headlight pods and the combinations of parts that went into this set up, the car loses out aesthetically. In addition, it appears to me that the side trim is all wrong and it doesn't flow correctly, especially from the front door onto the fender, it appears to take on a sharper angle on the fender and appears awkward, especially when the car is viewed down the side from a rear angle. Furthermore, and this is my opinion, continuing the chrome strip onto the side of the headlight pod only emphasizes the add on appearance of the pods.

To me, Studebaker could have produced a better looking car if they had concentrated more on trim, two toning options on affected models, and final assembly. One day when I have time, I'm going to sit down with a picture of a '58 (a President, since that is my favorite) and do some trial rearrangement of trim and two toning to see what I come up with and I am going to have to do something about those tailights. Maybe substitute the '56 or '57 tailight treatment in place with the fins??

Now having said that, I still love the '58's and feel that one has to consider what Studebaker was up against at the time. And, I am sure, no one involved with these cars back in the day felt that they would be talked about so much 50 + years later!

Bill Sapp
    Hamlet, NC
    Last edited by Mr. Bill; 08-10-2012, 01:55 PM. Reason: spelling

Leave a comment:

Working...
X