Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

1958 Studebaker sedans are due an apology...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by warrlaw1 View Post
    The first series Acura NSX is a classic. Pictures of it and Studies provided my encouragement in law school.
    Tom Kellogg's (Avanti designer) favorite car was his first series Acura NSX. Tom died in a car accident, but not in his Acura NSX. Tom was in a Mercedes-Benz.
    Gary L.
    Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
    Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

I do like a few "new" cars out there, but not surprisingly, they are "retro" design themes. They are in not particular order -- current generation Mustangs, the Ford Flex, the latest VW beetle, and the Mini Cooper. Somehow these designers were able to pull off interesting designs without suffering what I call the blob syndrome, where drag coefficient is more important than looks.
      sigpic

1950 Commander Starlight Coupe
      Regal Deluxe Trim
      Automatic transmission
      46k original miles, 4th Owner

Comment

Originally posted by showbizkid View Post
        The Bentley is really not that offensive,
        It's not that offensive if it was a Volvo on steroids but...it's supposed to be a Bentley!
        John Steed would disapprove.
        "All attempts to 'rise above the issue' are simply an excuse to avoid it profitably." --Dick Gregory

Brad Johnson, SDC since 1975, ASC since 1990
        Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
        '33 Rockne 10,
        '51 Commander Starlight,
        '53 Commander Starlight "Désirée",
        '56 Sky Hawk

Comment

Since none of us are going to buy any of them, it is probably all moot anyway....

Comment

While my wife and I were meandering around in Amish country east of South Bend, (we were in her Camry near Middlebury I think) I actually saw a fellow drive by in a white Bently convertible. He had the top up. It was a rather late-model and I thought what a gaudy contrast to all the pre-war Studebakers on the lawn of the Essenhouse Restaurant he was driving by and the humble Amish buggies on the same road. In some ways...that gaping grill and dual headlights looked a bit cartoonish.
            John Clary
            Greer, SC

SDC member since 1975

Comment

I like the Acura, and the Avalon grill ended up better than this. I work at the Toyota Camry/ Avalon plant in KY and think our current Camry is half boring, half ugly. Great car though, and luckily when your inside you don't have to see it.

Toyota apparently agrees as we are doing a major body redesign at the end of the second year! Absolutely unpresidented. We always run a body for 5, with a tiny tweak at year 3.

As for the Lexus LS, it is a horror. We've got a sweet 2004 LS and if I ever want to put a racoon catcher on it I'll just weld on a bucket.
              34 Dictator
              47 M5 Pickup
              48 Commander Convertible
              50 2R10 Pickup
              56 Packard Patrician
              63 Avanti

Herb Phillips: A lesser known product of the Studebaker Corporation.

Comment

"When you're inside you don't have to see it"...Reminds me of the late-1800s art critic from Paris who violently disliked the then-new Eiffel Tower; he frequently dined in the small cafe halfway up the Tower, when asked why he did so, he replied, quite logically, that the cafe was the one place in Paris he could go and not see the Tower!

It's not a Golden Age for car design right now, is it. Here's a '58 Commander 4dr for comparison. Wasn't the prettiest '58 in America; wasn't by a long shot the ugliest, either, and the new local owners of this pristine Commander sure are pleased with it...

S.

Comment

This has nothing to do with 58's and should be in stove huggers along with 'airbags' and 'ABS'..............

Comment

Originally posted by 52-fan View Post
                    The way some of these designs are evolving you may be able to tell the cars apart, but you won't want to look. I wonder what the young folks think of these cars?
                    Hee hee hee, I'm one of those "young folks" and I can tell you... I've been driving my Honda Accord for 11 years now and haven't bought a new car because I wanted something that would do more than just "get me around" like it has. I wanted something with a little style and flare. That's actually what brought me into the Studebaker realm. My friends and family kept bugging me to get a new car before the wheels fall off of the Honda and I finally said, if I have to get something new, I'm going to get something I like and there's not a new car on the road that excites me - you're right, they really do all look pretty much the same. Enter Studebaker... as soon as the Lark is finished, I'm selling the Honda and going full time Stude! With 20+ miles to the gallon, no smog, and an engine that's actually something I can work on, how can you go wrong?!?! Plus, I spent less on restoring this car than I would have on a new one and it's probably worth more than what I have into it. To top it all off... no car payment - woo hoo! I think more young people should invest in saving these cars to preserve the history as well as make a good investment. It's a win all the way around.

Thanks for the fun thread!

Michelle
                    '60 Lark Hardtop, Red Bluff, CA
                    sigpic

Comment

Thanks for reminding me, Michelle.
                      When I had my first Studebaker, almost forty years ago, many of them were still around and plying their task. When mine finally bit the dust and I was faced with getting a new dependable ride, I came to the realization that this little Lark made more sense, and was more fun, than anything on the used car lot.
                      That led to the '60 convertible, '53 Starlight, '50 Land Cruiser, '63 Cruiser, '33 Rockne and '51 Starlight. It also led me to join the local SDC chapter. Over those forty years I have spent so much quality time with so many dear friends through an introduction by our favorite shared marque.
                      When you get to be my age you start to realize, your life is about the friends you have made; Studebakers are just the vehicle.
                      "All attempts to 'rise above the issue' are simply an excuse to avoid it profitably." --Dick Gregory

Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
                      '33 Rockne 10,
                      '51 Commander Starlight,
                      '56 Sky Hawk

Comment

Well, the 1958 Studebakers at the International Meet made lots of folks take back everything they had said negatively about them. There were only three or four there that I saw, but they all looked as if they had just been driven off the showroom floor. Until recently, I have thought all 1958-59 cars were ugly. I expect nostalgia is working on me, but I found myself really admiring the overall beauty of the 1958 sedans.

Comment

They were actually some of the best designed and best built of all Studebaker models. Their plain jane appearance produces less flash appeal. So much the benefit to the owners; until they want to sell.

Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
                          '33 Rockne 10,
                          '51 Commander Starlight,
                          '56 Sky Hawk

Comment

Let's face it: is it anything else to complain about on a -58 Studebaker than the front light design?
                            (leaving out the dashboard on 56 - 58's)
                            A Toyota Lexus (yes, that is what it is just as a Mustang or a Continental is a Ford or a Clipper is a Packard) is always a bore, I was just driving through Holland, Germany, Denmark & Sweden & back & did not meet one single interesting car, exept in Sweden where folx take out their nicer rides when the sun is shining, but for the other 3 countries: NOT ONE single car I'd care to own, it was THAT boooring!
                            On the other hand, we DID meet a fat 50's BaderMeinhofWagen on the highway but it was on a trailer...
                            & we drove a 42 years "old" Citroen DSuper.
                            Without a problem.
                            [SIGPIC]
                            Josephine,
                            -55 sedan

Comment

Hi

".......in the eye of the beholder." Though, that Bentley SUV would make W.O. turn over in his grave. The Acura NSX is the most attractive of this small sample, so much in the current sports car idiom. It has nice surface development.

Toyota Avalon and Lexus? Who cares? Name any of their cars that have garnered collector interest since they entered the U.S. market. Competent, boring and bland rarely engenders much passion for preservation.

Steve

Comment

Originally posted by 56H-Y6 View Post
                                Toyota Avalon and Lexus? Who cares? Name any of their cars that have garnered collector interest since they entered the U.S. market. Competent, boring and bland rarely engenders much passion for preservation. Steve
                                You'd think so, Steve...but I'll never forget one of the final iterations of Special Interest Autos before it ceased publication until replaced by Hemmings Classic Car after Hemmings' new owners took over.

The subtitle of Special Interest Autos by that time was, "Cars That Matter."

What I'll never forget is an SIA cover car right below that subtitle; a white 1960 Ford Falcon 4-door!

'Talk about generic...yet here it was, right below a subtitle extolling Cars that Matter. (Nothing against early Falcons; they did what they were supposed to do -sell by the gazillions- but the irony of Cars That Matter right above a 1960 Falcon has stayed with me.)

'You never know. BP

We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

Ayn Rand:
                                "You can avoid reality, but you cannot avoid the consequences of avoiding reality."

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Comment

Working...
                                X