Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• candbstudebakers
    replied
    I never go with out the trailer in tow, just don't want the chance that something can go wrong, but always take a Stude with me to drive around the meet, this year it was the 67 Avanti and we stayed at a hotel out by the airport so each day we drove over to the fair grounds, my friend Ian from Australia did most of the driving back and forth, even with hm owning a couple of Avanti's he said that is the most time he has spent behind the wheel driving one ever, we really enjoyed the meet and the daily driving of the Avanti, end of the meet it was back on the trailer and into the motor home and down the road for the 2400 miles home.

Leave a comment:

• JRoberts
    replied
    I too am glad to see back on the road and having fun with that beautiful car.

Leave a comment:

• Roscomacaw
    replied
    Good to hear you made it to Hot August Nights. One thing that's occurred to me about your saga is that you might be lucky to have found a shop willing to deal with your modified antique. I've heard more than one tale of a person driving a Stude long distance and unable to find a shop willing to even LOOK at their ailing old car. AND.... this shop's willingness to collaborate in modifying a part to make it work. Wow! Had to have been some car-loving sorts to look past the possible liabilities they were wading into.

As to the other posts here, after reading them I mused over the old publication: "You can drive a Studebaker Forever" Seems like that's turning out to be as much of a fantasy as Atlantis. And damned few seem to want to bother to keep that ideal alive. Of course, I guess "forever" may reference a human's lifetime, eh?

In spite of my determination to drive a Studebaker as long as I was/am able - with regular breezing past $4 bucks here again, I only drive Pete when I need the services of a truck. It hurts because I take pride in driving him when I do. But reality dictates that I take, more and more, to a econo-box 4 cylinder. It's gonna cost $70 bucks for a fill-up again soon. That's not much of an incentive when one can effortlessly burn off most of a tank on a casual crusin' day.

Leave a comment:

• BobPalma
    replied
    'Good to "see" you back on the road, Pat. Nothing like a good attitude! Carry on. BP

Leave a comment:

• jclary
    replied
    Well Pat...I was hoping to see you at the meet but due to my hurried visit and lack of time spent there...couldn't make it happen. However, I made it a point to meet your car. I appreciate you posting here and sharing the trip. I'm with you in spirit and, thanks to my over active imagination, it is a vicarious thrill. Your car, your money, and your enthusiasm keeps me looking forward to the updates. Best wishes for the rest of the journey.

If you kept the carcases of those expensive ruined tires...award them to the guy who aligned the car. Let him know that even though you don't mind paying top dollar for good work...you can't afford him.

Leave a comment:

• Pat Dilling
    replied
    Master cylinder arrived this morning. Required some minor modification to make it work. I helped the mechanic bleed the brakes then it was on the alignment rack. Caster and camber on the right side off significantly, will have a word with my alignment shop when I get home. On the road about 1 pm, arrived in Reno safe and sound at 5. Car ran smooth as silk all the way. Checked into Hot August Nights, tomorrow swap meet and clean up the car then have some more fun!

Leave a comment:

• rockinhawk
    replied
    After riding in the car and hearing the noise close up, I agree with Jamie. My old scotsman truck had the same noise. The sound originates in the diff, is transmitted up the drive shaft to where it sounds like the trans. After awhile the pinion got loose. While I was in there I decided to try replaceing the 4.27 gear set with a 3.53. I had only been into a diff. once before but it worked very well except it was kinda high for a Champion engine with OD.
    The next TW I recieved after I got it all back togather and running,had an article that said it couldn't be done. I'm glad I did it before that article came out.

Leave a comment:

• Bob Andrews
    replied
    Ok, I thought you meant a two-piece drive shaft center carrier bearing

If she's still around next Spring maybe I'll look further into it. But I've gotten used to it over 3 years of driving. Of course, if it gets worse I'll know for sure, right?

Leave a comment:

• starliner62
    replied
    . As you probably know, no carrier bearing on a Lark.

I would hope you had two carrier bearings in your Lark. That would be differential carrier bearings. Maybe that's why it is making noise!!

I've heard some noisy transmissions in my lifetime, but that noise sure sounded like differential noise.

Leave a comment:

• Bob Andrews
    replied
    Originally posted by starliner62 View Post
    That means you have a pinion bearing or carrier bearing going bad, probably the pinion bearing.
    You must mean the T-96 whine. This is the third one I've had and they all make that noise. This is the second one in this car. I changed it because of O/D issues with the original one. This one works perfectly, including the O/D, but still makes some noise. Of course, before I pulled it I checked the pinion bearing and lash in the rear end and all looked good; and checked it again before heading to SB. I pulled the cover off this trans. and looked everything over before I put it in, and it all looked good. But trans. internals are not an area where I have a lot of knowledge. As you probably know, no carrier bearing on a Lark.

It's been about 18 months since I switched the trans. It hasn't gotten any better or any worse in that time. So I just chalk it up as part of her charm

Leave a comment:

• comatus
    replied
    he probably was just scared she was going to end up on the wrong side of the road
    A--a--and upside down!!1!

Leave a comment:

• crazylark
    replied
    Glad your ok pat zack,thaught he lost his favorite car.

Leave a comment:

• starliner62
    replied
    That means you have a pinion bearing or carrier bearing going bad, probably the pinion bearing.

Originally posted by Bob Andrews View Post
    Don't know what that means, but she made it home on the dolly and is puttering around here just fine. She probably was just scared she was going to end up on the wrong side of the road<G>

Leave a comment:

• Bob Andrews
    replied
    Originally posted by starliner62 View Post
    And by the way Bob, that poor little Lark hauling all of those Aussies around the proving grounds made the rear axle scream for help. Hope you get it fixed.
    Don't know what that means, but she made it home on the dolly and is puttering around here just fine. She probably was just scared she was going to end up on the wrong side of the road<G>

Leave a comment:

• Bob Andrews
    replied
    Yes, Chip, she said she knew you. Small world! Glad I could help.

I read above that the problem was the solenoid. I don't know what her husband was tearing into at the drag strip on the Wagonaire, but he had stuff scattered all over the place.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X