No announcement yet.

Broken down in Battle Mountiain

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

It wouldn't be a good road trip without a bit of adversity! Like a good car guy you could see the trouble coming before it stranded you. All part of the adventure. Good luck on the rest of your trip! We all checked out your car at the IM, but I can't see anyone noticing the tire wear patterns with so much else to look at.

Comment

I certainly understand the perspective of towing versus driving. In my case I embarked on this as an adventure, it is a bucket list thing. I thought I was well prepared to drive in comfort. Hopefully we will be on the road later today. Michidan, you make a very good point about not noticing the tire wear pattern. I took time to clean the car during the trip, even the white walls. I was that close to the tires several times, had my hands on them! Tire inspections will be a religiously adhered to part of my routine in the future. Bob's point about lowered cars being hard on tires is valid and I will be doing a careful inspection when I get home and seek out some custom suspension expertise. They can be done properly and work right. Whether I drive it to the Colorado Springs meet is still to be decided. My wife announced yesterday, stressed and frustrated,that she is not going on that road trip. She really has been a trooper on this trip and it is a joy to have here along. I will thoroughly test before going on that one, if I do, with several trips up and over Donner pass. Also hope to have a convoy to travel with with a less aggressive schedule. We have been averaging over 500 miles a day and actually drove 620 on Monday. That becomes too much to be fun. Thanks again everyone for the support, advice and encouragement.
      Pat Dilling
      Olivehurst, CA
      Custom '53 Starlight aka STU COOL

LS1 Engine Swap Journal: http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/jour...ournalid=33611

Comment

Pat the trip to Colorado Springs should be a piece of cake after the distance you went for SB, hope youre up and running this mornig and all is going well.
        Tom
        sigpic

Comment

Embarrassed? Ridiculous. When you have a departure-from-controlled-flight and write it up analytically as a warning to the brethren, that's Experience On The Hoof. Something to be proud of (and, if my experience means anything, famous for).

I once lowered the front end of an Alfa sedan a teensy little bit -- which, on the torsion bar models, was done with a slide rule -- and went through a new Pirelli P7 in ten days of easy suburban driving. Broke the carcass, too. And...I learned from that!

Comment

In '97, I was sweating getting Pete ready in time to drive him to SB. I'd taken him for his first test run just two weeks earlier after starting with a bare frame about a year and a half earlier. To be fair, the engine had been motoring for a few years prior to Pete being totalled in a wreck in June of '95. Still, it was a good USED engine that had started life in a '64 Cruiser. HAving Pete scattered all over the back yard, I figured it was prudent to have a look-see at the engine's innards while everything else was apart. Lower end looked good, so I tossed in new rings and cleaned and lapped the valves. With that and some Detroit Diesel green paint, it was ready to go back to work. That just left the rest of the truck.
            Between working and everything else that needs doin' around here on a regular basis - AND waiting on others to do seperate body parts rehab for me, it was down to the wire as the big meet approached. As I said before, it was just two weeks before my projected departure date that I took Pete for his first rebirth shakedown run - still unassembled, for the most part, bodywise at that point. But the engine sounded good, OD worked and the "new" Turner brakes seemed to be fine. So it was back to getting the thing ready to drive to SB and back.

I finally got away late Wednesday before the meet's start. I drove like a madman and the two things that were hindering me were my raging leg infection and the J.C. Whitney cruise control I'd installed. Otherwise the 40-year old truck performed flawlessly to SB - onto Toledo and then back to California. On the way home, I finally got the bug outta the cruise control. I gotta tell ya - the ol' homestead NEVER looked better than when I eased into our driveway! My point in the account is that I made it without much of a "hitch". So many of us treat these vehicles like a curio or a museum exhibit - what the hell did folks DO when these were all they had to drive??? In all the years before I had a drivers license, I remember ONE time a family trip was delayed because of car trouble - and my folks never could afford a brand new car. If you're having to trailer your Stude any distance - it isn't the Stude's fault.
            No deceptive flags to prove I'm patriotic - no biblical BS to impress - just ME and Studebakers - as it should be.

Comment

We drove in air conditioned comfort, comfortable seats and good conversation, all in a 54 year old Studebaker. Did we have "issues"? Yes we did but we considered it part of the adventure. There were no problems coming home and Christine was pushed harder and longer than we have ever driven her. Personally, if I am going to a meet, I'm driving a Studebaker. This is a drivers club. And by the way Bob, that poor little Lark hauling all of those Aussies around the proving grounds made the rear axle scream for help. Hope you get it fixed.

Round trip 1900 miles.
              Last edited by starliner62; 08-09-2012, 01:19 PM.
              Jamie McLeod
              Hope Mills, NC

1963 Lark "Ugly Betty"
              1958 Commander "Christine"
              1964 Wagonaire "Louise"
              1955 Commander Sedan
              1964 Champ
              1960 Lark

Comment

Originally posted by Bob Andrews View Post
                Maybe I just need a nicer Stude. Can't imagine going the 630 miles to SB in a 6-banger stick Lark. The 50 miles round-trip to Syracuse is plenty for me...

Even still, this doesn't address the problems you get with a car that's lasted decades longer than it was designed to. There are such things as metal fatigue, dry rot, and modern fluid non-compatibility.

Friday at the drags it was outrageously hot. As I was leaving a lady I had never met came to me and asked if I was going to SB. I said I was, and she asked if I had room for 4 riders. It was unusual, but I said yes.

Turns out, she was at the drags with her husband and 3 kids. The had arrived in a Wagonaire which spent the entire time I was there with the hood up and the husband under the hood, doing something. Everyone was hot and cranky, and stranded. The husband and wife were arguing, and it turned out she was overheated and frustrated, and asked me- a total stranger- for a ride for her and the kids. Although it felt awkward, I agreed.

So she introduces herself and she and the nervous, hot, long-faced kids pile into the van. Away we go, husband still under the hood of the Wagonaire. As we go along, the A/C starts making everyone feel better, and they loosen up. Under her arm is a box, which she plunked on my cooler. It was a brand new battery charger. It seems they both drove Studes to the Meet. Hers was a very nice, restored 53 coupe that was parked at the hotel, where it would not run, even with a new battery. She was hoping to find a way to plug in the charger and get at least one of the cars going; but mostly, she wanted to get back to the room. I hope they got both Studes running without spending the entire meet time working on them...

I guess it's perspective. To me old cars are art objects, artifacts that give me a chance to take a step back in time. If I can avoid sweating and rattles and changing parts roadside, I generally try to do that. I may just be a party-pooper
                That was my friend Kathy Leenhouts!
                Chip
                '63 Cruiser
                '57 Packard wagon
                '61 Lark Regal 4 dr wagon
                '50 Commander 4 dr sedan

Comment

Yes, Chip, she said she knew you. Small world! Glad I could help.

I read above that the problem was the solenoid. I don't know what her husband was tearing into at the drag strip on the Wagonaire, but he had stuff scattered all over the place.
                  Proud NON-CASO

I do not prize the word "cheap." It is not a badge of honor...it is a symbol of despair. ~ William McKinley

If it is decreed that I should go down, then let me go down linked with the truth - let me die in the advocacy of what is just and right.- Lincoln

GOD BLESS AMERICA

Ephesians 6:10-17
                  Romans 15:13
                  Deuteronomy 31:6
                  Proverbs 28:1

Illegitimi non carborundum

Comment

Originally posted by starliner62 View Post
                    And by the way Bob, that poor little Lark hauling all of those Aussies around the proving grounds made the rear axle scream for help. Hope you get it fixed.
                    Don't know what that means, but she made it home on the dolly and is puttering around here just fine. She probably was just scared she was going to end up on the wrong side of the road<G>
                    Proud NON-CASO

I do not prize the word "cheap." It is not a badge of honor...it is a symbol of despair. ~ William McKinley

If it is decreed that I should go down, then let me go down linked with the truth - let me die in the advocacy of what is just and right.- Lincoln

GOD BLESS AMERICA

Comment

That means you have a pinion bearing or carrier bearing going bad, probably the pinion bearing.

Originally posted by Bob Andrews View Post
                      Don't know what that means, but she made it home on the dolly and is puttering around here just fine. She probably was just scared she was going to end up on the wrong side of the road<G>
                      Jamie McLeod
                      Hope Mills, NC

1963 Lark "Ugly Betty"
                      1964 Wagonaire "Louise"
                      1955 Commander Sedan
                      1964 Champ
                      1960 Lark

Comment

Glad your ok pat zack,thaught he lost his favorite car.

Comment

he probably was just scared she was going to end up on the wrong side of the road
                          A--a--and upside down!!1!

Comment

Originally posted by starliner62 View Post
                            That means you have a pinion bearing or carrier bearing going bad, probably the pinion bearing.
                            You must mean the T-96 whine. This is the third one I've had and they all make that noise. This is the second one in this car. I changed it because of O/D issues with the original one. This one works perfectly, including the O/D, but still makes some noise. Of course, before I pulled it I checked the pinion bearing and lash in the rear end and all looked good; and checked it again before heading to SB. I pulled the cover off this trans. and looked everything over before I put it in, and it all looked good. But trans. internals are not an area where I have a lot of knowledge. As you probably know, no carrier bearing on a Lark.

It's been about 18 months since I switched the trans. It hasn't gotten any better or any worse in that time. So I just chalk it up as part of her charm
                            Proud NON-CASO

GOD BLESS AMERICA

Comment

. As you probably know, no carrier bearing on a Lark.

I would hope you had two carrier bearings in your Lark. That would be differential carrier bearings. Maybe that's why it is making noise!!

I've heard some noisy transmissions in my lifetime, but that noise sure sounded like differential noise.
                              Jamie McLeod
                              Hope Mills, NC

1963 Lark "Ugly Betty"
                              1964 Wagonaire "Louise"
                              1955 Commander Sedan
                              1964 Champ
                              1960 Lark

Comment

Ok, I thought you meant a two-piece drive shaft center carrier bearing

If she's still around next Spring maybe I'll look further into it. But I've gotten used to it over 3 years of driving. Of course, if it gets worse I'll know for sure, right?
                                Proud NON-CASO

GOD BLESS AMERICA

Comment

Working...
                                X