No announcement yet.

Broken down in Battle Mountiain

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thanks for sharing this, Pat. It reinforces my preference to haul my Stude long distances with a late model truck and just enjoy it when I get there. We had good fun with my Lark all around SB, but it was sure a relief to put 'er on the trusty tow dolly when it was time to go home. I drove the 9 1/2 hours in near 100 degree heat the same way I came to SB- in air conditioned comfort, comfy seats, great stereo..... and zero issues. I did have a front brake pad break apart on my Ford Conversion van in SB, but it was a stop at a parts store for pads (in stock) and a quick pad slap in the hotel parking lot. Rest of the time she ran just fine on modern gas, no vapor lock, and good manners in city traffic.

I respect those of you who drive your Studes on long trips. But no matter how carefully prepped they are, you're still dealing with parts- metal, rubber, etc.- that are around 50 years old. For me, I am just not up to putting my vacation in the hands of that.

Pat- I've seen cars that have been lowered eat up tires like you experienced- even when they've ostensibly been properly aligned. Sometimes the unnatural angles make it hard to hold the proper settings. Could that be what happened in your case?
    Proud NON-CASO

I do not prize the word "cheap." It is not a badge of honor...it is a symbol of despair. ~ William McKinley

If it is decreed that I should go down, then let me go down linked with the truth - let me die in the advocacy of what is just and right.- Lincoln

GOD BLESS AMERICA

Ephesians 6:10-17
    Romans 15:13
    Deuteronomy 31:6
    Proverbs 28:1

Illegitimi non carborundum

Comment

Had been hanging back because of embarrASSment. My brandx Ford p/u with the Mckinnon 283 on it stopped twice on me coming home. Long story on the first one, but found a great shop that fixed it and didn't charge me, that was in INDIANA. 30 miles from home a heater hose blew and had to have it towed home. Don't know how much damage yet. Had a wonderful time at the meet though.

studedick from the lower Ozarks

Comment

Sorry you had trouble but hope you get back on the road soon

Denny L

Comment

just do it!!!

Sorry to hear of your troubles Pat. Stuff only wears out if you drive it-
          and that ride doesn't just sit around on it's duff. Be proud.

Originally posted by Bob Andrews View Post
          It reinforces my preference to haul my Stude long distances with a late model truck and just enjoy it when I get there.
          You are really really really missing out by not driving your Studebaker on a long distance trip. Even just once. You'll be very glad you did it~ trust me!!!

Been there, done that- in more then one Stude- and way too many times to count, thanks.

I had a ball each and every time.
          StudeDave '57
          US Navy (retired)

3rd Generation Stude owner/driver
          SDC Member since 1985

past President
          Whatcom County Chapter SDC
          San Diego Chapter SDC

past Vice President
          San Diego Chapter SDC
          North Florida Chapter SDC

Comment

Sh;t can happen when you actually drive a studebaker most of your life. I wonder how many miles my family have driven Studebakers? Incidents like this are almost as rare as what we drive compared to the miles we have driven tham......

Vapor lock, and other probleams are generally lack of maintainence, nothing to worry about if you take care of your car and learn how to drive it , know any sign of trouble.

Yes, I have had bad moments, but I would not trade them for anything. I know my brothers, and the rest of my family agree.

"Studebakers forever!" RIP David Mc Donald......

And Bob, until you try it, you have no idea what its like.

MIKE million mile club
            Last edited by (S); 08-08-2012, 08:22 PM.

Comment

I just got home after flying back from the meet to L.A. with my uncle. I drove through Battle Mountain about 6:00 am yesterday. Must have just missed you. I didn't have a spare master cylinder with me anyway.
              Rob

Comment

Didja see the sign just outside of town, "BattleMountain--the Arm Pit of America"? The Washington Post named it that in 2001.

I too had a breakdown in that area. A car I bought at the Sacramento convention a few years back, had sooo much rust and crud in the cooling system, it finally just blew all the coolant out and gave up. Highway patrol cop came by as we were transferring the good stuff into the other car. He asked, "How long are ya planning on leaving it there?"

"Heck, I just thought I'd set fire to it and collect the insurance."

He didn't think that was one bit funny and advised us if it wasn't gone the next day, he'd have it towed. Friendly kinda guy.

We spent the night in Elko and the next day found a place to store it in BattleMountain

We left it there almost a month while we went home the 1800 miles to San Antonio.
                Boulder Dam and through Las Vegas. And we still went over mountains

John

Comment

Originally posted by (S) View Post
                  Sh;t can happen when you actually drive a studebaker most of your life. I wonder how many miles my family have driven Studebakers? Incidents like this are almost as rare as what we drive compared to the miles we have driven tham......

Vapor lock, and other probleams are generally lack of maintainence, nothing to worry about if you take care of your car and learn how to drive it , know any sign of trouble.

Yes, I have had bad moments, but I would not trade them for anything. I know my brothers, and the rest of my family agree.

"Studebakers forever!" RIP David Mc Donald......

And Bob, until you try it, you have no idea what its like.

MIKE million mile club
                  Maybe I just need a nicer Stude. Can't imagine going the 630 miles to SB in a 6-banger stick Lark. The 50 miles round-trip to Syracuse is plenty for me...

Even still, this doesn't address the problems you get with a car that's lasted decades longer than it was designed to. There are such things as metal fatigue, dry rot, and modern fluid non-compatibility.

Friday at the drags it was outrageously hot. As I was leaving a lady I had never met came to me and asked if I was going to SB. I said I was, and she asked if I had room for 4 riders. It was unusual, but I said yes.

Turns out, she was at the drags with her husband and 3 kids. The had arrived in a Wagonaire which spent the entire time I was there with the hood up and the husband under the hood, doing something. Everyone was hot and cranky, and stranded. The husband and wife were arguing, and it turned out she was overheated and frustrated, and asked me- a total stranger- for a ride for her and the kids. Although it felt awkward, I agreed.

So she introduces herself and she and the nervous, hot, long-faced kids pile into the van. Away we go, husband still under the hood of the Wagonaire. As we go along, the A/C starts making everyone feel better, and they loosen up. Under her arm is a box, which she plunked on my cooler. It was a brand new battery charger. It seems they both drove Studes to the Meet. Hers was a very nice, restored 53 coupe that was parked at the hotel, where it would not run, even with a new battery. She was hoping to find a way to plug in the charger and get at least one of the cars going; but mostly, she wanted to get back to the room. I hope they got both Studes running without spending the entire meet time working on them...

I guess it's perspective. To me old cars are art objects, artifacts that give me a chance to take a step back in time. If I can avoid sweating and rattles and changing parts roadside, I generally try to do that. I may just be a party-pooper
                  Proud NON-CASO

I do not prize the word "cheap." It is not a badge of honor...it is a symbol of despair. ~ William McKinley

If it is decreed that I should go down, then let me go down linked with the truth - let me die in the advocacy of what is just and right.- Lincoln

GOD BLESS AMERICA

Ephesians 6:10-17
                  Romans 15:13
                  Deuteronomy 31:6
                  Proverbs 28:1

Illegitimi non carborundum

Comment

Its only 50 years old if you leave it that way. If you know cars , you should know what to look for. Also keep in mind, there is no perfect science for driving these old things. You do take your chances. In my case I literally left the exhaust shop and hit the road on a 2200 mile journey. I trusted they did a good job. Note: they did not.

I was lucky to have had help to rebuild this car when I was 14-17. Rare? yes, so That is something to think about.

By the way, newer cars rattle way more than my old 'junk' Studes ....... My brand X's will never see the 50 year old mark. My trusty Studes already have.
                    Last edited by (S); 08-08-2012, 09:12 PM.

Comment

My wife and I are here in Albuquerque picking up the Cruiser that we had to leave 2 weeks ago after blowing (it turns out two) power steerig hoses. The local shop had the two made up and also found that my AC condenser was about ready to fall off (electric fan and all). So am glad we stopped. The car runs great now, but debating whether to ship it home or drive it. Only 983 more miles to go, through the Mojove....

Mark

Comment

This event does not reduce how impressed I am with your trip to SB. I hope repairs go well tomorrow and HAN goes well.
                        Perry
                        \'50 Business Champion
                        \'50 Starlight Champion
                        \'60 Lark Convertible,
                        \'63 GT R1,
                        \'67 Triumph TR4A

Comment

Pat, you da man! After my travails on the way to the Glendale meet, I want ( maybe need) to drive my 63 to Colorado next year. sign me up for that convoy. Glad you'll make it to Hot August Nights!!

Jeff
                          1951 Custom
                          1958 Packard Hawk < resto project
                          1962 Champ
                          1963 Standard R1 4 speed
                          1963 Avanti R1
                          1963 GT Hawk R2 4 speed
                          2006 Avanti Convertible

Comment

I've driven to all points WA, Idaho, Or, CA, Wy, Mt, Sd, Id, Nv, N m, N d, S D, Az, Co, and BC Canada in my Studes and beyond in 'family studes'.

MIKE
                            million mile club
                            Last edited by (S); 08-09-2012, 12:30 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Pat Dilling View Post
                              Trouble shooting the brakes we finally figured out that the master cylinder was not releasing when the pedal was lifted, taking it apart and cleaning did not solve it. Not sure why it is happening it is a fairly new unit.
                              Sorry to hear that.

Don't forget that clogged brake hoses can have exactly the same effect.

Best of luck.
                              sigpic

Comment

The problem with the 53 in the Comfort Suites parking lot was a starter solenoid....was fixed in twenty minutes for $15.00...

Hell...I once towed a car home from Tupelo Mississippi, when the Hawk decided to have a hissy fit and I was too 'uninformed' at the time to get it repaired adequately for such a long trip.
                                I'm still 'uninformed' but still willing to learn and risk the possibilities.

Can't wait for Colorado Springs
                                Bill Foy
                                1000 Islands, Ontario
                                1953 Starlight Coupe

Comment

Working...
                                X