Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Skip Lackie
    replied
    Not a coincidence that that was in that list . . . . .

Leave a comment:

• BobPalma
    replied
    Originally posted by Skip Lackie View Post
    Jim- I guess I'd draw a distinction between the thugs and shysters in nice suits you guys "out there" send to DC, and those of us who live and work here as waiters, car mechanics, house painters, chefs, plumbers, and cops.
    Right, Skip; let's hear it for the DC CHEFS! <GGG> BP

Leave a comment:

• Skip Lackie
    replied
    Originally posted by 52 Ragtop View Post
    "When I was a law enforcement officer, some of the biggest crooks I ever dealt with wore 3-piece suits".

Yep, just look at ALL of them in washington d.c.! Social Security is the BIGGEST Ponzi scheme going!

Jim
    Jim- I guess I'd draw a distinction between the thugs and shysters in nice suits you guys "out there" send to DC, and those of us who live and work here as waiters, car mechanics, house painters, chefs, plumbers, and cops.

Leave a comment:

• 52 Ragtop
    replied
    "When I was a law enforcement officer, some of the biggest crooks I ever dealt with wore 3-piece suits".

Yep, just look at ALL of them in washington d.c.! Social Security is the BIGGEST Ponzi scheme going!

Jim

Leave a comment:

• jclary
    replied
    Originally posted by oldkystude View Post
    Yep. A lot of that theft was by my brother in laws brother who I unfortunately recruited to help. We got most of the stuff back to Dennis but certainly not everything. Dennis gave the guy a break by not prosecutiing, a break he did not deserve. (There were rumors that he was selling some stuff at a later swap meet). I gave up a week vacation to help Dennis and the guys but the memory will always have that cloud. He has since disappeared and nobody in the family cares.
    Wow...the things you find out on the forum. This is the first I have heard of this. After seeing the condition of the building and how unorganized and shelf worn some of the parts were, I kind of felt that some of Dennis' troubles was of his own doings. However, talk about kicking a guy when he was down...I'm glad much of the stuff was recovered. Often you'll find that a thief like this has had enablers along the way. Not prosecuting them sometimes just makes them bolder.

Leave a comment:

• oldkystude
    replied
    Originally posted by DEEPNHOCK View Post
    I remember stuff went missing from the first SASCO move, too............................
    Yep. A lot of that theft was by my brother in laws brother who I unfortunately recruited to help. We got most of the stuff back to Dennis but certainly not everything. Dennis gave the guy a break by not prosecutiing, a break he did not deserve. (There were rumors that he was selling some stuff at a later swap meet). I gave up a week vacation to help Dennis and the guys but the memory will always have that cloud. He has since disappeared and nobody in the family cares.

Leave a comment:

• Roscomacaw
    replied
    At the '03 meet in Sacto, I was carrying in armloads of stuff to sell off Rebelstude's tables. My truck was just outside the building where we were vending. Last trip out to get stuff, the nice set of truck hubcaps I'd brought had disappeared from the bed. POOF! Whoever it was had to have been watching me make repeated trips and snatched them as I went in with a bunch of stuff. I hope they all popped off his wheels since then!

Leave a comment:

• studebaker-R2-4-me
    replied
    What ever happened to the 1930's something window wings that were stolen right off someone's car during a international meet. I believe they had someone on camera stealing them from a hotel parking lot.

Allen

Leave a comment:

• jclary
    replied
    If there could be a "positive" from this discussion...it is a testament to the resilience of the object of our affection. Just think...way back in the day, there was a time when you'd almost have to pay someone to dispose of anything Studebaker. Not long after the active business shut down, Studebaker was ridiculed, viewed as the lowest of the low, and, by some, treated with hostility as a symbol of failure.

I knew of one junk yard where there was a great number of Studes that were hauled in for the cost of picking them up and dragging them in. In hind sight, most of them were what I would now call restorable drivers with only minor problems. The left inner fender now in my restored '48 coupe was found hanging in an old chicken house. It was perfect NOS condition with the factory primer, and part tag still intact. In that old building, were a few additional unwanted NOS parts, long ago given to a former dealer employee who himself had passed on. It was purely by accident that I encountered the son of that man who made an off-hand remark, "I think there might be some old Studebaker parts behind my mom's house." Like a scene from the movie, "Raiders of the Lost Ark," we hacked through kudzu and found the long forgotten and abandoned parts.

It is experiences like this that make it even more amazing that any of this stuff has survived. That anyone would now want to steal any of it...how ironic.

Leave a comment:

• DEEPNHOCK
    replied
    Originally posted by oldkystude View Post
    I had no problems with theft at all, and my items were almost completely unmonitored. I have developed a sure fire method to eliminate all theft.
    Bring stuff nobody wants.
    I remember stuff went missing from the first SASCO move, too............................

Leave a comment:

• oldkystude
    replied
    I had no problems with theft at all, and my items were almost completely unmonitored. I have developed a sure fire method to eliminate all theft.

Bring stuff nobody wants.

Leave a comment:

• Commander55
    replied
    Originally posted by Gunslinger View Post
    When I was a law enforcement officer, some of the biggest crooks I ever dealt with wore 3-piece suits.
    They still wear 3-piece suits...wife-beater shirt, saggy-baggy pants and a do-rag!

Leave a comment:

• BobPalma
    replied
    Geeze, Steve; I, too, am sorry to read of this. What can be said? What a terrible way to ruin a vendor's enthusiasm, especially a nice guy like you. Phooey.

I hope the perp sufaces sometime, some way, and gets his "due." BP.

Leave a comment:

• JRoberts
    replied
    Geeze Steve I am so sorry to hear this. I always enjoy a visit with you when you are vending. I a few minutes I plan to put down the computer and get to work reading the book I bought from you.

Leave a comment:

• unclemiltie
    replied
    Steve,

I was selling in the other building and another vendor had a 52 dealer inside facts book walk off.

I am not aware of anything walking from my spot and I was gone at times.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X