No announcement yet.

To the IM Thief

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Geez, sorry to hear that, Steve. I've heard far too many things like this at other big Stude meets and even at a smaller meet in our Ohio Region SDC. It stuns me that we'd have such a louse among us Studebaker people, but on the other hand, I think...well, in any town of 10,000 there are probably 150 or 200 thiefs or liars, so I guess our club is just a microcosm of society today, sadly.
    Bill Pressler
    Kent, OH
    (formerly Greenville, PA)
    Currently owned: 1966 Cruiser, Timberline Turquoise, 26K miles
    Formerly owned: 1963 Lark Daytona Skytop R1, Ermine White
    1964 Daytona Hardtop, Strato Blue
    1966 Daytona Sports Sedan, Niagara Blue Mist
    All are in Australia now

Comment

Sorry to hear this. I'd also like to hope it was somebody not in the club. Either way, theves just p*** me off!!!
      Chris Dresbach

Comment

Well...I am proud to announce that I am finally unpacked and it wasn't me! I have accounted for my forum badge, forum tee-shirt, and my new S.I. catalog. All paid for. I thought about swiping some of Matt's stuff...but he was closed up and walking his cute little dog last time I saw him.

Seriously, I can't relate to what must possess the mind of a thief who would pilfer things at an event like this. Has to be a pretty pathetic thought process.
        John Clary
        Greer, SC

SDC member since 1975

Comment

Steve,
          After manning your display over lengthy days to make a few bucks you experience some low life with sticky fingers. That seriously saddens me to hear of your experience. On a brighter note, I look forward to receiving the 2013 calendar that Johann picked up for me.

\"QUIGLEY DOWN UNDER\"
          MELBOURNE.

Comment

The thief was probably not a club member....
            Probably some Grazer bottom feeder there just to grab what he/she could.
            I've seen people break a $500 windshield to steal a $50 used garmin that they'd get $20 for...PUNKS

Comment

Originally posted by Mrs K Corbin View Post
              The thief was probably not a club member....
              Probably some Grazer bottom feeder there just to grab what he/she could.
              I've seen people break a $500 windshield to steal a $50 used garmin that they'd get $20 for...PUNKS
              Don't assume it is a punk kid. The year...1969...I was not long home from Vietnam, had finally gotten into college and taken a job as a sales clerk in the most exclusive shoe store in town. A well dressed man walks in and buys a $130 pair of Florshiem wing tip shoes. While I was packaging up the shoe box, out of the corner of my eye, I saw him pocket a pair of socks from a free-standing display.

This was before the days of computers and we were required to hand write sales receipts in triplicate (remember carbon paper?). As I was writing the sales slip, I asked, "do you want the socks on a separate receipt?" Redfaced...the customer said, "just add it to the bill." When he opened his wallet, he withdrew a couple of hundred-dollar bills from many that were there. This creep had just attempted to steal a four-dollar pair of socks while buying a pair of shoes that cost a third of my college tuition for a semester.

Again...a pathetic thought process I have a difficulty relating to.
              John Clary
              Greer, SC

SDC member since 1975

Comment

When I was a law enforcement officer, some of the biggest crooks I ever dealt with wore 3-piece suits.
                Poet...Mystic...Soldier of Fortune. As always...self-absorbed, adversarial, cocky and in general a malcontent.

Comment

Steve, I sent you a PM on a different matter.

thx

Comment

Steve,

I was selling in the other building and another vendor had a 52 dealer inside facts book walk off.

I am not aware of anything walking from my spot and I was gone at times.
                    Milt

1947 Champion (owned since 1967)
                    1961 Hawk 4-speed
                    1967 Avanti
                    1961 Lark 2 door
                    1988 Avanti Convertible

Member of SDC since 1973

Comment

Geeze Steve I am so sorry to hear this. I always enjoy a visit with you when you are vending. I a few minutes I plan to put down the computer and get to work reading the book I bought from you.
                      Joe Roberts
                      '61 R1 Champ
                      '65 Cruiser
                      Eastern North Carolina Chapter

Comment

Geeze, Steve; I, too, am sorry to read of this. What can be said? What a terrible way to ruin a vendor's enthusiasm, especially a nice guy like you. Phooey.

I hope the perp sufaces sometime, some way, and gets his "due." BP.
                        We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

Ayn Rand:
                        "You can avoid reality, but you cannot avoid the consequences of avoiding reality."

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Comment

Originally posted by Gunslinger View Post
                          When I was a law enforcement officer, some of the biggest crooks I ever dealt with wore 3-piece suits.
                          They still wear 3-piece suits...wife-beater shirt, saggy-baggy pants and a do-rag!

Comment

I had no problems with theft at all, and my items were almost completely unmonitored. I have developed a sure fire method to eliminate all theft.

Bring stuff nobody wants.
                            34 Dictator
                            47 M5 Pickup
                            48 Commander Convertible
                            50 2R10 Pickup
                            56 Packard Patrician
                            63 Avanti

Herb Phillips: A lesser known product of the Studebaker Corporation.

Comment

Originally posted by oldkystude View Post
                              I had no problems with theft at all, and my items were almost completely unmonitored. I have developed a sure fire method to eliminate all theft.
                              Bring stuff nobody wants.
                              I remember stuff went missing from the first SASCO move, too............................
                              HTIH (Hope The Info Helps)

Jeff

Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

Note: SDC# 070190 (and earlier...)

Comment

If there could be a "positive" from this discussion...it is a testament to the resilience of the object of our affection. Just think...way back in the day, there was a time when you'd almost have to pay someone to dispose of anything Studebaker. Not long after the active business shut down, Studebaker was ridiculed, viewed as the lowest of the low, and, by some, treated with hostility as a symbol of failure.

I knew of one junk yard where there was a great number of Studes that were hauled in for the cost of picking them up and dragging them in. In hind sight, most of them were what I would now call restorable drivers with only minor problems. The left inner fender now in my restored '48 coupe was found hanging in an old chicken house. It was perfect NOS condition with the factory primer, and part tag still intact. In that old building, were a few additional unwanted NOS parts, long ago given to a former dealer employee who himself had passed on. It was purely by accident that I encountered the son of that man who made an off-hand remark, "I think there might be some old Studebaker parts behind my mom's house." Like a scene from the movie, "Raiders of the Lost Ark," we hacked through kudzu and found the long forgotten and abandoned parts.

It is experiences like this that make it even more amazing that any of this stuff has survived. That anyone would now want to steal any of it...how ironic.
                                John Clary
                                Greer, SC

SDC member since 1975

Comment

Working...
                                X