Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sam Ensley
    replied
    Not to criticise bamajak, he has much more knwlege and experience in the NC club than I have, but I thought the term used was, "Work in Progress." Last yer at Lake Junaluska I should have entered the "Under construction/Work in progress" class, but I didn't know about it at the time. If I had done that, I don't think my car ('64 convertible) would have made the top three. As it happened, there was no other car in my class so I got first place. I've felt guilty all year.

Leave a comment:

• jclary
    replied
    Originally posted by Pat Dilling View Post
    I really think this is a great idea. Run What Ya Brung, or Have sounds good. Adding to the list there could be a Flintstones award.

Think this would qualify for the "Flintstone" class? Old headlight switch mounted on the wing mount for an ignition switch, ammo box for a seat, and a lawnmower gas can for a fuel tank.

Leave a comment:

• Pat Dilling
    replied
    I really think this is a great idea. Run What Ya Brung, or Have sounds good. Adding to the list there could be a Flintstones award.

Leave a comment:

• DEEPNHOCK
    replied
    Originally posted by rockne10 View Post
    Maybe "Best Unbegun"?
    Originally Posted by fastfritz
    For "Best Unfinished" you would first need to have STARTED something! I like the "Best Driver" category.

I like that...
    How about an "Well, It Made It Here.." award

Leave a comment:

• rockne10
    replied
    Originally posted by Chris_Dresbach View Post
    I agree that there should be no judging for authenticity.
    Just the opposite on my end, Chris. My "unbegun" example had not a single authenticity point deducted when judged at Lancaster by none other than Rick Peterson, a legend in my own mind.

Leave a comment:

• Chris_Dresbach
    replied
    Originally posted by 56H-Y6 View Post
    Hi

Excellent Idea! AACA has two classes which encourage show participation for owners of driver type collector cars. One is DPC, Driver Participation Class, daily driver of all 25 years and older. The other is HPOF class, Historic Preservation of Original Features which encourages preservation of those survivors that have 60% of the original finish, upholstery, chrome etc.

Maybe name the class "Life's Hard Knocks Survivors". For Meets, hold an afternoon potluck picnic get-together for fun with no judging, enjoy a nice, relaxed time. There is plenty of time devoted to the wonderfully restored cars which we all enjoy already. Sometimes the show day becomes too uniform year to year as the same restored cars appear and little else new. Nice as they are to see annually, the variety would spice things up a bit.

Anything that encourages greater participation by all members, especially if it attracts younger people needs to be aggressively pursued.

Steve
    I like your ideas there and I think we could even expand on this a little. At meets the "beaterbakers" would have their own area. Since it's hard to judge these road warrior type cars, I agree that there should be no judgine for authenticity. However, I have learned from racing that just about everybody likes to win something. No six foot high trophy, but I think we could have stuff like what (S) listed above. We can have a longest distance traveled award, most original car, peoples choice, hard luck, etc. I think this could really be a lot of fun, and most importantly get more people involved and try to get cars that wouldn't otherwise be there to show up.

Leave a comment:

• Deaf Mute
    replied
    Chris' gas cap holder is a sight to behold! I took a photo of it at SI... but it's in my camera, which is misplaced somewhere in the shop (along with my missing fuel pump, I'm sure)

Leave a comment:

• 56H-Y6
    replied
    Hi

Excellent Idea! AACA has two classes which encourage show participation for owners of driver type collector cars. One is DPC, Driver Participation Class, daily driver of all 25 years and older. The other is HPOF class, Historic Preservation of Original Features which encourages preservation of those survivors that have 60% of the original finish, upholstery, chrome etc.

Maybe name the class "Life's Hard Knocks Survivors". For Meets, hold an afternoon potluck picnic get-together for fun with no judging, enjoy a nice, relaxed time. There is plenty of time devoted to the wonderfully restored cars which we all enjoy already. Sometimes the show day becomes too uniform year to year as the same restored cars appear and little else new. Nice as they are to see annually, the variety would spice things up a bit.

Anything that encourages greater participation by all members, especially if it attracts younger people needs to be aggressively pursued.

Steve

Leave a comment:

• Mrs K Corbin
    replied
    How bout a Rusted out '58 Transtar Automatic? Worth restoring, but RuUUsty!
    Door bottoms gone, floors holey, bed floor rusted out, one rear fender AWOL, the other with a shotgun hole...
    Get the picture? Driven Weekly....LOL

Leave a comment:

• K-Hawk
    replied
    excellent idea many of us are proud of our Studebakers and the love we give em.

Leave a comment:

• Chris_Dresbach
    replied
    Originally posted by (S) View Post
    Fire fighting basics. How to quickly put out all types of car fires.
    Do you get bonus points for carrying around fire fighting equipment? (Matt can finish this story....)

Leave a comment:

• rusty65
    replied
    I love it!! Finally, a class that Sarah can compete in! I would personally call it the "hound dog" class.
    @ (S) I like your ideas, too!

Leave a comment:

• 55s
    replied
    I'm afraid I have already been the recipient of the Ontario Chapter's prestigious "Most Bugs on the Grille" award and "Messiest Back Seat" award. Won hands down, easy with two kids.

Leave a comment:

• 52hawk
    replied
    How about calling it "someday class" -I'm gonna restore it some day!

Leave a comment:

• (S)
    replied
    Special prizes for:

How full is the drip pan/s at the end of the day.

How deep is the crud on your x member?

What did all those cables and wires hanging down used to go to? 1 pt each

Bumper stickers or decals that may be 'structural'

"I got pulled over on the way here, but the cop felt so sorry for me -- he let me go" special award

The biggest tool box

the smallest tool box

"I brought the most spare parts"

" I brought no spare parts"

The oldest set of tires, sure they can (and should be) miss matched for max points.

Shortest distance to pop start my car. Pairs and individual competiton.

My car has no spare tire

My car has a spare, but I don't have a jack

Brown, rusty water slowly dripping from anywhere.

Most present gas odor. 3 catagorys: (inside) (underhood) (gas tank area/fuel lines)

Activities:

And hey, if it rains later, can I borrow a wiper arm to go on the tour? and how to drive and wipe/ using rain x .

How to pull the air cleaner and set the choke in a cold windblown snow storm and be underway in 5 minutes

I did all this with Krylon!

How to make a signal fire.

Syphoning gas!

Fire fighting basics. How to quickly put out all types of car fires.

How to: make linkage, springs and brackets out of common roadside debris.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X