Thrill of a life time!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Thrill of a life time!

You couldn't wipe the smile off my face after our 2 laps at thr Proving grounds!
    Only 98 MPH on the first lap.
    But on our second lap I knew where I was going and came out of turn 2 with thr GPS reading 84 MPH......took her to 3 didgets down the back stretch, entering the high bank in turn 3 at 100 MPH right on the pin. Then some hard braking to make the skid pad, as the guy had put out cones to close the track.
    Not so bad for a 66 year old truck who had not been back in 66 years??
    We did have 2300 miles to get her warmed up......but the bugs on the front may be starting to cause a little drag.
    Good Roads
    Brian & Sandi
    Brian Woods
    woodysrods@shaw.ca
    1946 M Series (Shop Truck)

Was a real pleasure meeting you guys! I'm not sure what I liked most about your truck.. The bugs covering the front, or the ear plugs...!

Comment

Please Please enjoy and remember! It has been 28 years since my truck won first place at an international meet. These are the fun times life is made of. I have several precious wonderful "memory post cards" in my memory bank. Like as a young pre-schooler setting in Santa's lap and telling him how good I had been and what I wanted for Christmas (Not realizing that Santa was my dad in costume!). That meet in Florida is certainly one of them.
      John Clary
      Greer, SC

SDC member since 1975

Comment

The laps around the track in my GT Hawk rank up there with some of the most fun automotive things that I have done in my life. Knowing the history of the track and being surrounded by Studebakers out there was a thrill. I can only hope that I get to do it again someday.

Randy
        Randy Ridenour
        Frostburg,MD
        1964 GT Hawk
        sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by woodysrods View Post
          We did have 2300 miles to get her warmed up......but the bugs on the front may be starting to cause a little drag.
          Jeez Brian, I betcha if you disconnected Miss Piggy you'd easily pick up 30mph!! lol That sounds like so much fun, wish I was there! BTW, on your return trip if you're coming through Calgary, PM me so we can get together!
          Regards, Junior
          sigpic
          1954 C5 Hamilton car.

Comment

Originally posted by woodysrods View Post
            You couldn't wipe the smile off my face after our 2 laps at thr Proving grounds!
            Only 98 MPH on the first lap.
            But on our second lap I knew where I was going and came out of turn 2 with thr GPS reading 84 MPH......took her to 3 didgets down the back stretch, entering the high bank in turn 3 at 100 MPH right on the pin. Then some hard braking to make the skid pad, as the guy had put out cones to close the track.
            Not so bad for a 66 year old truck who had not been back in 66 years??
            Good Roads
            Brian & Sandi
            Wow! Were you late getting on the track? Up in the pack we were only allowed about 20-25 mph on the first two laps then 40-45 on the last two? I'd have loved to play "catchup" too.
            Anyhow, it was great meeting you and Jerry in the parking area after the run.
            Paul Johnson, Wild and Wonderful West Virginia.
            '64 Daytona Wagonaire, '64 Avanti R-1, Museum R-4 engine, '72 Gravely Model 430 with Onan engine

Comment

The last picture

Here is the very last picture I took at the Meet this year (at the Proving Grounds). Behind Woody's Rod is Jerry Forrestor and his nicely modified '55.
              Attached Files
              Paul Johnson, Wild and Wonderful West Virginia.
              '64 Daytona Wagonaire, '64 Avanti R-1, Museum R-4 engine, '72 Gravely Model 430 with Onan engine

Comment

Wow, Brian I am envious, I had to settle for some 20-60 mph blasts while in the midst of the pack. Really enjoyed meeting up with your guys. By the way I think I solved my tail/brake light problem, you were right it was the ground. I jammed a paper clip in between the bulb and the socket and 1000 miles down the road she is still shining brightly :-)
                Pat Dilling
                Olivehurst, CA
                Custom '53 Starlight aka STU COOL

LS1 Engine Swap Journal: http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/jour...ournalid=33611

Comment

Glad to hear evryone had as much fun as I did.
                  Workiing our way home now.
                  Did "All" the museums in Michigan.
                  If you have yet to visit the Gilmore Museum near Kalamazoo you should put it on your bucket list!
                  Wow!!!
                  Still motoring west.....woke up this morning in Wisconsin.
                  Good Roads
                  Brian & Sandi
                  PS
                  Glad to se posted pictures of my M
                  I will post my pictures when we get home.
                  Brian Woods
                  woodysrods@shaw.ca
                  1946 M Series (Shop Truck)

Comment

It was nice meeting you and Sandi as you drove in after the parade. We missed the proving grounds by minutes with the miss communication of the literature stating it was open until 1:00 pm. We arrived just as the cars were starting to come off the track,...a real bummer.

Allen
                    1964 GT Hawk
                    PSMCDR 2014
                    Best time: 14.473 sec. 96.57 MPH quarter mile
                    PSMCDR 2013
                    Best time: 14.654 sec. 94.53 MPH quarter

Victoria, Canada

Comment

Working...
                    X