Helluva Good Deal in Meet Packet

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Helluva Good Deal in Meet Packet

Those attending the IM last week would do well to carefully look through all the items in the goodies bag:

In the packet is a $10 rebate coupon for the original Sta-Bil Fuel Stabilizer.

'Most all of us use (or should use) this product when storing our vehicles (or mowers or chain saws or ???), and here's a chance to get up to $10 back for buying what you're gonna' buy anyway.

The coupon is inside this folder:

Good stuff; good opportunity to save $10 on it. (BTW: Gold Eagle says Sta-bil itself lasts two years.) BP
    We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

Ayn Rand:
    "You can avoid reality, but you cannot avoid the consequences of avoiding reality."

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Which is better,the regular or marine type?

Comment

Originally posted by Dave Bates View Post
      Which is better, the regular or marine type?
      I dunno, Dave; I don't really have an opinion on that.

Here's my reasoning for buying and using the original Sta-bil product: I've used it successfully for decades with few, if any, fuel system problems on stored cars and, especially, the boat I bought new in 1970 and owned 39 years.

When I sold that boat in 2009, the Mercury 800 80HP outboard had lost only 100 RPM at Wide Open Throttle since brand new. It would tweak the tachometer at 5,000 rpm when new under load with a 19" 3-blade prop, but couldn't quite peg that when I sold it. Those carburetors had never, repeat never been apart in 39 years...with regular Sta-bil used religiously every fall.

Since I had such a good experience with that, and since Marine Grade is almost twice the price of regular Sta-bil per ounce, I'm sticking with the Old Original....but I wouldn't discourage anyone from using Marine if they wanted to. BP
      We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

Ayn Rand:
      "You can avoid reality, but you cannot avoid the consequences of avoiding reality."

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Comment

Originally posted by BobPalma View Post
        I dunno, Dave; I don't really have an opinion on that.

Here's my reasoning for buying and using the original Sta-bil product: I've used it successfully for decades with few, if any, fuel system problems on stored cars and, especially, the boat I bought new in 1970 and owned 39 years.

When I sold that boat in 2009, the Mercury 800 80HP outboard had lost only 100 RPM at Wide Open Throttle since brand new. It would tweak the tachometer at 5,000 rpm when new under load with a 19" 3-blade prop, but couldn't quite peg that when I sold it. Those carburetors had never, repeat never been apart in 39 years...with regular Sta-bil used religiously every fall.

Since I had such a good experience with that, and since Marine Grade is almost twice the price of regular Sta-bil per ounce, I'm sticking with the Old Original....but I wouldn't discourage anyone from using Marine if they wanted to. BP
        I'll have to check my bottle of Marine Sta-bil, but I think you use less than half as much and it addresses ethanol where regular Sta-bil doesn't. Just back from South Bend and I'm too tired to go look for the bottle right now.
        Paul Johnson, Wild and Wonderful West Virginia.
        '64 Daytona Wagonaire, '64 Avanti R-1, Museum R-4 engine, '72 Gravely Model 430 with Onan engine

Comment

Sta-Bil is my friend. Heard about it right here in the forum.
          Dave Warren (Perry Mason by day, Perry Como by night)

Comment

Plan on taking full advantage of that offer BP!

Even wrote myself a note on the Jasper's note pad to buy 1 item from the Museum at 35% off!
            61 Lark

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by 53k View Post
              I'll have to check my bottle of Marine Sta-bil, but I think you use less than half as much and it addresses ethanol where regular Sta-bil doesn't. Just back from South Bend and I'm too tired to go look for the bottle right now.
              Geeze, Paul; I 'spose I ought to read the label(s)!

Here's the back label of the bottle I just bought today to mail in the rebate. Note the last sentence in the first paragraph:

Still, if Marine is twice as concentrated, it would be a better buy because it is not fully twice the price of the original product. BP

Ayn Rand:

Comment

Originally posted by Dave Bates View Post
                Which is better,the regular or marine type?
                It is hoped I can locate the article. I read that while the original Sta-bil is effective, Marine Sta-bil was considered even better for automotive use.
                "Growing old is mandatory, but growing up is optional." author unknown

Comment

Ive been using the marine formula for about 3 years. No noticeable difference compared to the original formula, except the dosage is 1/2 as much with the marine. The marine also is marketed to be more effective with ethanol additives in gasoline. B.V.

Comment

Don't get too excited....

Last year they were promoting Sta-Bil Ethanol Treatment to "dry out" gas. To quote their website:
                    "Our New STA-BIL EthanolTreatment will prevent corrosion/white rust caused by ethanol blended fuels infuel lines, carburetors and injectors. This product is recommended forall gasoline cars, trucks and small engine equipment used on a daily or regularbasis."
                    Knowing the effects of ethanol on our old cars rubber parts I asked their marketing dept. if Sta-Bil would help that.

Here's their reply...

Hi John,
                    Unfortunately STA-BIL cannot protect components that are notcompatible with ethanol. Actually there is not a product out there thatcan. The only thing you can do is to replace those parts as needed withethanol compatible components.
                    Regards,
                    Dawn

They still offer their Ethanol treatment, its recommended dosage is 4 oz per 10 gallons.of fuel.
                    The red stuff, as shown above, says 2 oz per 10 gallons.

But considering it's not going to help our cars rubber bits, is it worth the expense?
                    Last edited by JBOYLE; 08-06-2012, 05:19 AM.
                    63 Avanti R1 2788
                    1914 Stutz Bearcat
                    (George Barris replica)

Washington State

Comment

Good words, John; thanks for the report.

There is a difference between preventing rust and corrosion, versus protecting rubber parts that are not compatible with ethanol-enhanced gasoline, a distinction worth noting and one they made clear.

The bottle in Post #7 is a new container of "the old orginal" Sta-bil product, purchased 8/5/2012. The yellow highlighted instructions say to use 1 ounce in 2.5 gallons, so that would be 4 ounces to treat 10 gallons, same as the Ethanol treatment dosage you cited? BP

Ayn Rand:

Comment

Bob

Look at the next line on the doseage part in the same photo.
                        It says: "For fuel system clean up and everday prevention: use 1 ounce in five gallons"...or 2 oz in 10.
                        63 Avanti R1 2788
                        1914 Stutz Bearcat
                        (George Barris replica)

Washington State

Comment

Originally posted by JBOYLE View Post
                          Bob

Look at the next line on the doseage part in the same photo.
                          It says: "For fuel system clean up and everday prevention: use 1 ounce in five gallons"...or 2 oz in 10.
                          Right, John; they make a distinction between the dosage required for long-term storage versus short-term.

The lower dosage I would assume is for periods of a couple months at the most. For example, if I have occassion to fill my truck at a low price, but probably won't use all that gas for a couple months, I splash in the lower dosage of Sta-bil when I get home from the gas station, knowing that gasoline will be used before winter.

For genuine over-the-winter storage, though, I presume everyone would want to use the higher dosage....or should! BP

Ayn Rand:

Comment

Another deal in the meet packet was the free mug from SI.
                            Gary L.
                            Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
                            Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

I got the free mug! cool!
                              Oglesby,Il.

Comment

Working...
                              X