Farewell everyone....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Farewell everyone....

Because of bad economy, I was forced to downsize some old cars at home. My grandfather's 1957 Silver Hawk was sold to a new owner from Minnesota yesterday. They are very nice couple who are old car collectors, too. I am sure my Hawk will have a good home. I have encouraged them to join SDC and gave them some Turning Wheels magazines.

I have fond memories of when I was a college kid in Oklahoma and drove the Hawk with a bunch of girls cruising down the street in 1968.

My grandfather's family car has served our family so well without an engine rebuilt.

I would like to thank everybody in this SDC Forum including Bob Palma and StudeRich for excellent technical advisers. It helped make my Hawk run so much better since I inherited it from my mom 10 years ago.

I might re-visit this forum and will help to answer newbie's questions as I can.

So long... Steven Barker

1957 Studebaker Silver Hawk (now gone)
    1967 Corvair coupe w/ 110hp, auto & factory air
    1969 Corvair coupe w/140hp , 4 spds & smog air

'Sorry to hear of this, Steve, but 'glad to have been of assistance.

'No need to take flight, though, even without a Hawk. That's the beauty of SDC; you can readily participate without a car, through the Forum and Turning Wheels.

'Hang tight and don't forget to top off the Corvairs' anti-freeze before the coming Wisconsin winter! BP
    We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

Ayn Rand:
    "You can avoid reality, but you cannot avoid the consequences of avoiding reality."

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Comment

Sorry to hear this, but remember that the SDC and this forum isn't exclusive to Studebaker owners. All you need is an interest in the vehicles.
      Chris Dresbach

Comment

Indeed! I didn't own a (running) Studebaker until a few months ago, and look over at my join date

Stick around. I for one would benefit from your insight and expertise. And hopefully you'll one day have another SilverHawk to tool around in

(PS-If you want a basket case Lark hardtop restoration project, I'll give it to you for free. Really!)
        '63 Lark Custom, 259 v8, auto, child seat

"Your friendly neighborhood Studebaker evangelist"

Comment

Originally posted by BobPalma View Post

'Hang tight and don't forget to top off the Corvairs' anti-freeze before the coming Wisconsin winter!
          Ever the consummate tech adviser, Bob would never issue perplexing directives.

Steve,
          Our shared interest in Studebakers has brought us together. Being together is more than what we choose to drive. Be never absent here.
          "All attempts to 'rise above the issue' are simply an excuse to avoid it profitably." --Dick Gregory

Brad Johnson, SDC since 1975, ASC since 1990
          Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
          '33 Rockne 10,
          '51 Commander Starlight,
          '53 Commander Starlight "Désirée",
          '56 Sky Hawk

Comment

I'd like to echo what the others have said............ "Just cause you don't have one in your garage - that's no reason to sign off."
            No deceptive flags to prove I'm patriotic - no biblical BS to impress - just ME and Studebakers - as it should be.

Comment

Dad (a.k.a. 'StudeRich') would reply much the same as the others,
              but he's stuck in Chicago right now...
              StudeDave '57
              US Navy (retired)

3rd Generation Stude owner/driver
              SDC Member since 1985

past President
              Whatcom County Chapter SDC
              San Diego Chapter SDC

past Vice President
              San Diego Chapter SDC
              North Florida Chapter SDC

Comment

Steev, I too was Stude-less from 1967 to 1988 & if I had the forum back then, I know it would have been alot shorter gap & would have enjoyed the friendship with ones here for many more years than what I have now. Stay & enjoy the fellowship.
                59 Lark wagon, now V-8, H.D. auto!
                60 Lark convertible V-8 auto
                61 Champ 1/2 ton 4 speed
                62 Champ 3/4 ton 5 speed o/drive
                62 Champ 3/4 ton auto
                62 Daytona convertible V-8 4 speed & 62 Cruiser, auto.
                63 G.T. Hawk R-2,4 speed
                63 Avanti (2) R-1 auto
                64 Zip Van
                66 Daytona Sport Sedan(327)V-8 4 speed
                66 Cruiser V-8 auto

Comment

I didn't have a car when I joined the forum (I think) at least not when I joined my club, now chapter, and it made no difference. Through joining the local club I purchased my car, if I had to sell it I'd stay involved and get another later. Stay with us - this forum has done much to inform and educate me on our great Marque, and I wouldn't have missed it for anything.
                  John Clements
                  Christchurch, New Zealand

Comment

Sad to hear (read), but Studebakers stays in our hearts, so you're not getting away that easy!
                    & there might be a Studebaker waiting for you somewhere in the future, & the future is looong...
                    sigpic

Josephine
                    Champion V8
                    4d sedan

Comment

I joined SDC a full four years before owning a Studebaker. Don't leave. The people here are as good or better than the cars!!
                      1962 Champ

51 Commander 4 door

Comment

Originally posted by BobPalma View Post
                        ... don't forget to top off the Corvairs' anti-freeze before the coming Wisconsin winter! BP
                        And check to see if the factory put that extra engine in the rear trunk. They did that sometimes...dunno why.

John

Comment

Originally posted by Johnnywiffer View Post
                          And check to see if the factory put that extra engine in the rear trunk. They did that sometimes...dunno why.

John
                          The OP may be a candidate for a book on those extra engine cars....

Comment

[QUOTE=57 Silver Hawk;667612][SIZE=3] Because of bad economy, I was forced to downsize some old cars at home. My grandfather's 1957 Silver Hawk was sold to a new owner from Minnesota yesterday.

Sad news, I understand the downsizing thing, but I hope the Corvairs are family heirlooms as well. Keeping two Bowties over GRANPA'S STUDEBAKER, OUCH!!!!! Hope you will stick around, maybe you'll get your "Common Sense" back someday. 'Cause as you know, Studebaker is "The Common Sense Car" :-)
                            JS
                            I was STUDEBAKER, when STUDEBAKER wasn't "KOOL".

Comment

Bummer though I understand 57 Silver Hawk's pain--------and how.
                              --------------------------------------

Sold my 1962; Studeless at the moment

Borrowed Bams50's sigline here:

"Do they all not, by mere virtue of having survived as relics of a bygone era, amass a level of respect perhaps not accorded to them when they were new?"

Comment

Working...
                              X