Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• swvalcon
    replied
    Even if you could get from the top mldg. out it would work for the 62-64 cars.

Leave a comment:

• rkapteyn
    replied
    It is not the inner fenders.
    The front fenders were only the outer fenders as sold by Studebaker.
    In the early 1953 front fenders there was an extra hole in the fender to cowl flange.
    Front fenders were sold as an assembly with inner fender and front airbox attached.
    These assemblies were hard to ship so they only sold these parts separate for the buyer to assemble.
    Tooling up for these would cost a fortune.
    When Studebaker closed they sold the molds to Hurwich , who cut them up for scrap iron.

Leave a comment:

• swvalcon
    replied
    For todays use all that would be needed in most cases is the outer skin on the c-k fenders. If someone tooled up for that you could easy split the inners off and weld it to a new outer panel. Just a thought for anyone thinking of it.

Leave a comment:

• Roscomacaw
    replied
    What about that boatload of C-K stuff that was lost on it's way thru the great lakes in late '52 - the load of stuff that was destined for Hamilton?

Leave a comment:

• DieselJim
    replied
    Originally posted by rkapteyn View Post
    Reading my last post I realized that many members do not know who Hurwich was.
    It was or maybe still is a huge scrap yard close to the Studebaker South Bend plant.
    Robert Kapteyn
    Like Studebaker, it is gone.

Leave a comment:

• rkapteyn
    replied
    Reading my last post I realized that many members do not know who Hurwich was.
    It was or maybe still is a huge scrap yard close to the Studebaker South Bend plant.
    Robert Kapteyn

Leave a comment:

• rkapteyn
    replied
    I know several people have made that statement but as far as I can see S.I. has kept a lot of Studebakers on the road.
    Prices are bound to go up.
    Can you imagine the real estate taxes , payroll , rent in South Bend, a huge sum every month and casos wanting parts for 1963 prices.
    Go to your Ford or Chevy dealers and order comparable parts for their cars.
    I know for a fact that C/K fenders were never scrapped. I bought some slightly bend front fenders from Veldman on the West side of South Bend in 1968
    that had come in from Sasco as damaged sheet metal.
    I bought the last right hand C/K/ fender from Sasco and it had the part number for the 1963/64 C/K fender on it.
    It was the earlier fender and it had a note that minor modifications had to be made to fit the 1963/64 cars.
    At that time (1969) there were probably 40 left fronts both in early and late C/K/'s
    Herman Hersch was the parts man at that time and when I asked why there were so many parts of which one side was plentiful.
    and the other side N.L.A. He told me that they were to supply parts for seven years and if they ran out of left fenders before the seven years were over
    Studebaker ordered an other batch of the left fenders but the right fenders did not run out until after the seven years were over , they were not reordered.
    They ran out of right fronts for the late Hawks before the seven years were over but had plenty of early right front C/Kfenders so they remarked some with the note that they had a slight modification to be made, rather than tooling up to make new late model C/K fenders in their own stamping plant
    Left rear fenders were plentiful and Hurwich got quite a few and were selling them at $15.00 ea.
    Hurwich never had front fenders nor right rear fenders for the C/K.
    I still have plenty of early front and rear C/K fenders for sale but only restoration shops buy these because they pass the high cost onto the insurance companies. I failed to mention that Studebaker's stamping plant made these fenders but later Lark fenders were made by Budd.

Robert Kapteyn

Leave a comment:

• StudHawk60
    replied
    Originally posted by Dan White View Post
    Those Stude shop carts are for sale at SI for $350 ea.
    They were considerably cheaper (free) when they were sitting outside. Besides, it will be a Loonnngggggggg time before I buy anything else from SI. (If ever)

Leave a comment:

• Dan White
    replied
    Those Stude shop carts are for sale at SI for $350 ea.

Leave a comment:

• StudHawk60
    replied
    I knew I should've grabbed these when I had the chance....

Leave a comment:

• studegary
    replied
    I remember that large quantities of truck sheet metal were scrapped (thrown out of upper floor windows).
    In the early 1970s, I remember C/K rear quarters at $20-$30 each, left and right sides, NOS in the box (including the gas door and springs) from N&A/SS. .
    In the early 1970s, I was already using fiberglass C/K front fenders, due to the cost/availability equation.
    Last edited by studegary; 08-06-2012, 04:08 PM.

Leave a comment:

• 62champ
    replied
    I seem to remember seeing an older photo that showed complete P2 pickup beds sitting outside the old N&A building.

As others, I have heard the 'stock out the window to be scrapped' story as well - but in this case it was before Studebaker closed up shop in SB and the product was excess Packard sheet metal. Who knows if it was true. Does make you wonder what happened to all the stock at the Detroit Packard facility when they shut it down.

Leave a comment:

• Milaca
    replied
    Originally posted by Dan White View Post
    Thanks Milaca! Are you the one with the green convert. Lark? That also was quite nice. How did you do in the judging?
    The red 1964 convert is mine. The green 1960 Lark belongs to Eric Gohdes, and I havent heard how many points it achieved in judging but I agree, it is a very nice car.

Leave a comment:

• Dan White
    replied
    Thanks Milaca! Are you the one with the green convert. Lark? That also was quite nice. How did you do in the judging?

Leave a comment:

• Milaca
    replied
    Hi Dan White, sorry I didnt get to meet you but I did meet your brother and spoke to him a while at the hotel and I got a good look at your '64 Hawk. It's a great car!
    As for fenders at Newman & Altman, I have a '64 Hawk that had the front left fender replaced back around 1973 from Newman & Altman stock. The right fender would have been replaced too but they no longer had any.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X