International Meet Agenda

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• International Meet Agenda

As I read the "SDC President" thread, I see a lot of outrage for the recent actions of our Board of Directors at their Monday morning Meeting (8:00 am - 5:00 pm). Then as I review the agenda for the IM, I see that on Tuesday there is a "Chapter Presidents, Zone Coordinators & Regional Managers" meeting from 2:30 pm - 4:00 pm. This is followed by a "SDC General Membership" meeting from 7:00 pm - 8:30 pm.

If the membership is to be truly heard, why not schedule their meeting first, then the Chapter Presidents, etc. meeting second and finally the Board meeting.

That way the Board could get a real feel for what the membership is thinking and act accordingly.
    Peter Bishop
    Director,
    Northeast Zone

That makes a lot of sense! Wonder why it's not done that way.

Mark

Comment

Mostly because of logistics. The smaller meetings are held in meeting rooms during the day, when there are also tours, seminars, and other events going on. The general membership meeting is normally held in the evening in a big ballroom facility when there are no conflicts with other events, so it will attract the highest attendance. There are usually bar services and it is usually followed by a lot of mingling in a quasi-party atmosphere.
      Skip Lackie

Comment

Originally posted by Skip Lackie View Post
        Mostly because of logistics. The smaller meetings are held in meeting rooms during the day, when there are also tours, seminars, and other events going on. The general membership meeting is normally held in the evening in a big ballroom facility when there are no conflicts with other events, so it will attract the highest attendance. There are usually bar services and it is usually followed by a lot of mingling in a quasi-party atmosphere.
        Understandable. So, why not have the general membership meeting Monday night, Presidents/coordinators, etc. meeting Tuesday morning followed by BOD meeting Tuesday afternoon, or Wed. morning?

I ask this question at least 10 years ago and still haven't gotton an answer that makes any sense.
        Bo

Comment

The General Membership Meeting provides a summary of the actions taken all day at the Board of Directors' Meeting. I don't see how they can be the other way around. The membership should be letting their Directors know their position on items during the year, not at the annual meet. The BOD Mtg. is open to the general membership. I spent all day Monday there, but very few do.
          Gary L.
          Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
          Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

Concur with Gary -- I shoulda included that in my response. At one time, there was some discussion of conducting the general membership meeting on Monday evening, right after the board meeting. The trouble is, the board meetings sometimes run late -- they used to go till 2 or 3 in the morning. All that being said, there probably are some things that could be done to the meet schedule to make the meets more accessible for more people. The Intl Meet Committee would be the place to make suggestions.
            Skip Lackie

Comment

"The General Membership Meeting provides a summary of the actions taken all day at the Board of Directors' Meeting."

I was at the general membership meeting and the above was not part of that meeting.
              The election of Ed Reynolds was touched on and was not really explained. There was no agenda presented like the BOD agenda that is printed in Turning Wheels a month or so before the International. There was no discussion of SDC issues and directions that had been voted on the day before. There was no discussion of the direction the Board wanted to take the SDC.
              The General Mambership meeting turned into a general discussion of the survivor division, why the IM's are held in the summer time, judging divisions breakdown and a call for judges.
              Gary Sanders
              Nixa, MO

Comment

I was not at this year's IM, but the general membership meeting is SUPPOSED TO provide those in attendance with a summary of the health/status of the club, and the actions of the board since the last IM and membership meeting (including both the actions taken by mail/email during the intervening 11 months AND the board meeting). The individual who was president over the past 12 months normally makes the presentation, calling as necessary upon the treasurer, publisher, etc for additional details. That said, the agenda can get diverted by questions from the floor, and also could be steered in a particular direction by the way the president discusses the year's events.
                Skip Lackie

Comment

Originally posted by Skip Lackie View Post
                  I was not at this year's IM, but the general membership meeting is SUPPOSED TO provide those in attendance with a summary of the health/status of the club, and the actions of the board since the last IM and membership meeting (including both the actions taken by mail/email during the intervening 11 months AND the board meeting). The individual who was president over the past 12 months normally makes the presentation, calling as necessary upon the treasurer, publisher, etc for additional details. That said, the agenda can get diverted by questions from the floor, and also could be steered in a particular direction by the way the president discusses the year's events.
                  Skip,

There is something wrong with this. Every general membership meeting I've ever attended for any organization I've ever belonged to does three things. 1. It reviews everything of importance that occured during the last year, the significance of these events and their effects upon the organization. 2. Provides the executive leadership the opportunity to communicate their thoughts, concerns, future plans, direction they want to take the organization, etc. with the membership, and 3. Provides the general membership the opportunity to ask questions, share their concerns and wishes with the leadership. Addionally, to select and elect new board members and officers.

Every SDC membership meeting I've ever attended does very little of this, if any at all. That being said, I will say that I haven't attended one since Colin Fort was last elected to the Presidency and things may have changed since that time, but I tend to doubt it. I see no reason that this organization couldn't set up the thing such that it follows this scenario. As it stands now, the board does what it wants, does it's thing and then tells the membership? One word comes to mind, bassackwards. "Good ole boy Southern word".
                  Bo

Comment

Originally posted by studegary View Post
                    The General Membership Meeting provides a summary of the actions taken all day at the Board of Directors' Meeting. I don't see how they can be the other way around. The membership should be letting their Directors know their position on items during the year, not at the annual meet. The BOD Mtg. is open to the general membership. I spent all day Monday there, but very few do.
                    Gary,

Here's the problem with the above. How is the membership supposed to let the directors know their position on items during the year when most of what goes on in the board is done in secret and without benefit of any kind of prior disclosure, or discussion with the general membership. I've been in this club since 1980 and (with one exception) I've never had a director in any of the zones I've ever lived in hold any kind of meeting, or send out any notes, emails, or anything thing else to the general membership about any issues being discussed by the board as they occur during the year. I've been living here in Florida for 7 years now and have attended club meetings around the state and have yet to hear anything other then things concerning the local clubs outings, finances, membership, pictures, cars and perhaps the state meet, or possibly even the zone meet. Very little if anything from the National level. The only times I've ever seen, or even heard from the zone director was at the state meet when he bought some parts from me and we chatted briefly about club events. Don't get me wrong, I like Ed Burris a whole bunch and think he's done a pretty good job so far. I've never met Wayne Lee, the zone coordinator.

The one exception I refer to is when I worked with BB Holland, in the South Central Zone. Between the two of us, we made the rounds between all the clubs and BB would send out a flyer when something important came up. BB as Director, and I as Zone Coordinator where able to present and discuss issues with the general membership and keep them informed of what was going on. I'm in agreement with others who have said that the general membership is in the dark most of the time and only hear of something after the fact and generally through TW many months after what ever it is has ocurred.
                    Last edited by Bo Markham; 08-03-2012, 06:32 PM.
                    Bo

Comment

Originally posted by bomarkham View Post
                      Skip,

There is something wrong with this. Every general membership meeting I've ever attended for any organization I've ever belonged to does three things. 1. It reviews everything of importance that occured during the last year, the significance of these events and their effects upon the organization. 2. Provides the executive leadership the opportunity to communicate their thoughts, concerns, future plans, direction they want to take the organization, etc. with the membership, and 3. Provides the general membership the opportunity to ask questions, share their concerns and wishes with the leadership. Addionally, to select and elect new board members and officers.

Every SDC membership meeting I've ever attended does very little of this, if any at all. That being said, I will say that I haven't attended one since Colin Fort was last elected to the Presidency and things may have changed since that time, but I tend to doubt it. I see no reason that this organization couldn't set up the thing such that it follows this scenario. As it stands now, the board does what it wants, does it's thing and then tells the membership? One word comes to mind, bassackwards. "Good ole boy Southern word".
                      Bo-
                      I’m not gonna argue with your characterization, because (1) I’m sure there’s a lot of truth in what you said, and (2) It probably depends at least to some extent on your/my own perceptions and expectations. Since I wasn’t there, I will assume that Gary1953 characterized the meeting correctly. I don’t know how much time the board itself spent on the survivor class or the timing of the IM, but I do know that those have always been hot topics for debate/complaints from the membership. The problem with the former is deciding “how much maintenance/repair/replacement is too much for consideration as a survivor?” As discussed in a couple of Mimi’s letters to the membership from about year ago, there is no agreement on how to answer that question. And as has been discussed here many, many times, there is no perfect time for an IM that will satisfy everyone. There is always a minority of people for whom a particular schedule is inconvenient. In addition, the IM committee must work with the sponsoring chapter(s) on what is possible and affordable from their perspective. I bring this up because it is possible that the membership meeting got shunted off on those issues by impassioned questions and debate from the floor.

As noted above, the contents of the briefing to the membership pretty much falls to the president to prepare and present. I have seen both good ones and perfunctory ones. All I can offer is that members should communicate to their board member their unhappiness with the shallowness of the membership meeting, if that is what they think.
                      Skip Lackie

Comment

As noted above, the contents of the briefing to the membership pretty much falls to the president to prepare and present. I have seen both good ones and perfunctory ones. All I can offer is that members should communicate to their board member their unhappiness with the shallowness of the membership meeting, if that is what they think.[/QUOTE]

Skip,

I like your style and way of actually discussing things. You have hit the nail squarely on the head here. I think that this is exactly what is going on in the here and now, in light of Mondays events. Bravo!
                        Bo

Comment

Working...
                        X