Junk yard of greatness Part 2

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Junk yard of greatness Part 2

I spent the day hanging out with my friends at Windy Hill Auto salvage near Willmer MN. Happened upon a great 1950 Studebaker Land Cruiser filled with a ton of parts that I needed. Rear Bumper, New gauges, A clock for the dash, A proper radio for my car, a full set of great hubcaps, a jack and proper lug nut wrench, And soon 2 new fenders to replace the rotted out ones I have on my car! And the real cool thing I found was the Lighter for the car.

What a great find today!

By the way they just got a 1948 or 49 I beleave it to be commander Might be a Champion. New to the yard.
    If your looking I will be going back soon to get the fenders.

Here is a link for the yard http://www.windyhillautoparts.com/
    I have a 1950 4 door Commander a 51 land cruiser And a 52 Champion
    sigpic
    I'll Tattoo you anytime!
    And you can find me at....

New Shop Name Same tattoo shop
    Crazy Lady Ink
    Shakopee Mn.
    952-445-3281
    27 years in the tattooing biz

Did you happen to see any Hawks when you were there? French lake is looking pretty bare lately and I need parts.

Comment

The last time I was there, Windy Hill was being shut down and scrapped. At least that is how it looked. Glad there is still some good stuff there.

Edsel, how many push buttons does your new radio have? The even number (4 or 6) radios are built better than the radios with an odd number (5 or 7) of buttons. The odd number radios are early 50 and the even number radios are late 50, or 51-52, depending on the shape of the back. All will fit in a 50 and all are essentially correct for a 50.

French lake has always been my favorite in the Minneapolis area, as well as the one around Spooner, Wisconsin. I love those junk yards. There don't seem to be any left here in California.
      Last edited by RadioRoy; 07-31-2012, 10:37 AM.
      RadioRoy, specializing in AM/FM conversions with auxiliary inputs for iPod/satellite/CD player. In the old car radio business since 1985.

17A-S2 - 50 Commander convertible
      10G-C1 - 51 Champion starlight coupe
      10G-Q4 - 51 Champion business coupe
      4H-K5 - 53 Commander starliner hardtop
      5H-D5 - 54 Commander Conestoga wagon
      56B-D4 - 56 Commander station wagon
      60V-L6 - 60 Lark convertible

Comment

Good deal Edsel, sounds like you got some really great stuff!
        Paul
        Winston-Salem, NC
        Visit The Studebaker Skytop Registry website at: www.studebakerskytop.com

Comment

Originally posted by evilhawk View Post
          Did you happen to see any Hawks when you were there? French lake is looking pretty bare lately and I need parts.
          No not a hawk to be seen. any where.
          sigpic
          I'll Tattoo you anytime!

Crazy Lady Ink
          Shakopee Mn.
          952-445-3281

Comment

Originally posted by RadioRoy View Post
            The last time I was there, Windy Hill was being shut down and scrapped. At least that is how it looked. Glad there is still some good stuff there.

Edsel, how many push buttons does your new radio have? The even number (4 or 6) radios are built better than the radios with an odd number (5 or 7) of buttons. The odd number radios are early 50 and the even number radios are late 50, or 51-52, depending on the shape of the back. All will fit in a 50 and all are essentially correct for a 50.

French lake has always been my favorite in the Minneapolis area, as well as the one around Spooner, Wisconsin. I love those junk yards. There don't seem to be any left here in California.
            I got lucky there too I have 7 on the radio. I do need some buttons for it although. I was going to do a bench test one of these days to see if it works.

What is the name of the yard in spooner wis?
            sigpic
            I'll Tattoo you anytime!

Crazy Lady Ink
            Shakopee Mn.
            952-445-3281

Comment

Edsel, Even though you were lucky enough to find a 7 button radio, I strongly urge you to keep looking for one that has either 6 buttons, or 4 buttons, or no buttons.

Roy Valdez has them, and he posts on this forum regularly.

The 7 and 5 button radios were so bad that Studebaker discontinued them halfway through the model year. They even changed the accessories pamphlet in mid year to show six buttons instead of seven.

Even 30 years ago, the 7 and 5 button ones were tough to repair and keep running. The push button mechanism is extremely delicate and fussy. Add years of rust and corrosion and the inevitable heavy hand folks always seem to apply when something gets stuck, and you have recipe for disaster.

The late 50, and 51/52 radios will all fit your car and the 51/52 will look exactly stock when installed. Plus, there is a guy on eBay who makes reproduction button tips for them. The buttons and entire mechanism are different from 5/7 models to 4/6 models.

As to the junk yard question. I have not been there in years and it did not seem to be heavily advertised, or even advertised as a junkyard. the sign just said welding, or some such thing. I asked if he had any bullet nose Studebakers and he said, "over the hill and by the pine trees." And indeed, there were at least 9 of them there. I was in heaven. There were lots of other years of Studebakers, too. I discovered the place in 1972. My last trip there was around 1990 or so, but it hadn't changed a bit.

Anyway, here's how to find it. It's in Wisconsin, on highway 63, in the Spooner/Hayward/Cable stretch. As you head north on 63, the road goes past a place where the railroad track is right next to the road, on the right hand side. Somewhere in that stretch where the tracks are immediately adjacent to the road, on the right hand side of the road, sits a driveway to a Quonset hut, which sits just a little lower than the tracks, and is maybe 50-75 feet from the tracks. On the Quonset hut, or on a little shack across the driveway, there was a sign that said "Welding." It might have said something else, like auto parts, and there might have been some old cars around it too.

The actual junkyard is several yards off the road, behind the trees, and isn't visible from the road as I recall. But it is the only Quonset hit on that stretch.

I hope you guys go and look for it. It is not huge, but is a real treasure trove of Studebaker and other cars from the 40's, 50's, and some 60's.

If/when I get back there to visit, I'm going to make it a priority to find it again.

Good hunting, guys!
              Last edited by RadioRoy; 08-03-2012, 11:03 AM.
              RadioRoy, specializing in AM/FM conversions with auxiliary inputs for iPod/satellite/CD player. In the old car radio business since 1985.

17A-S2 - 50 Commander convertible
              10G-C1 - 51 Champion starlight coupe
              10G-Q4 - 51 Champion business coupe
              4H-K5 - 53 Commander starliner hardtop
              5H-D5 - 54 Commander Conestoga wagon
              56B-D4 - 56 Commander station wagon
              60V-L6 - 60 Lark convertible

Comment

Working...
              X