Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Do you ever think about NOT having Airbags?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 63 R2 Hawk
    replied
    The age of the "nanny car" is upon us whether we like it or not. Maybe by the time I ought to be too old to drive, I'll be able to own a car that thinks for me and avoids all the hazards that driving formerly presented....
    http://editorial.autos.msn.com/blogs...cid=autos_3283

Leave a comment:

• kmac530
    replied
    I just verifyed in my 2009 Chevy Traverse, it does do it on both of the front seats. It did it on all of my last few Chevy trucks and it does it my daughters Scion Xb. Seems odd that a performance driving machine like BMW would not do that. Never know with car companies roday though.

Leave a comment:

Guest replied
    Mine does not do that. I have seen that on the rear of most newer cars so that child restraints can be cinched up. Not so on the front of mine but I will investigate further. It is a 2001 3 series and over the years I have not even thought that it was possible for the front, so, thanks for the tip kmac530. Maybe a good thing, otherwise I might spend more time going sideways when I should be going straight to work and home again. Len.

Leave a comment:

• kmac530
    replied
    Originally posted by Skybolt View Post
    Another thing that irks me is inertia reel seat belts. I don't know if there is a common name for them in the USA but I prefer the older style belts that one could tighten and they did not loosen up each time I moved. I have to sometimes hold my seat belt in my BMW so I don't move in the seat around corners. I guess the average user/driver treats their car/vehicle as a moving lounge room and wants as many comforts as possible and not have it impinge on their right to move about the cabin. This is where we differ. I want to be one with the car. I want to feel if the right front wheel if it comes off the ground and how much the rear wheels brake traction etc... and not get tossed around the cabin like a marionette. I would rather have total control than total freedom. Also, that way the belt is already pretensioned in case of an accident.
    Skybolt, on a more serious note, In many cars, I am not sure about your Beemer but definately in my Chevy DD, if you pull the seat belt all the way out to the max extention before buckleing it and then let it retract it goes into a clicking lock action and it does not have the slack movement in normal mode. You can really cinch (SP) it down and it will hold you in tightly. Give it a try and let me know if it works in the Beemer.

Leave a comment:

• kmac530
    replied
    Airbags are awesome if you want adjustable ride height....if you want just one ride height then airbags are unneccesary.

Leave a comment:

Guest replied
    Another thing that irks me is inertia reel seat belts. I don't know if there is a common name for them in the USA but I prefer the older style belts that one could tighten and they did not loosen up each time I moved. I have to sometimes hold my seat belt in my BMW so I don't move in the seat around corners. I guess the average user/driver treats their car/vehicle as a moving lounge room and wants as many comforts as possible and not have it impinge on their right to move about the cabin. This is where we differ. I want to be one with the car. I want to feel if the right front wheel if it comes off the ground and how much the rear wheels brake traction etc... and not get tossed around the cabin like a marionette. I would rather have total control than total freedom. Also, that way the belt is already pretensioned in case of an accident.

Leave a comment:

• Nelsen Motorsports
    replied
    Airbags: Total nonsense which weighs a car down. If they were so great then NASCAR would have them, then again I wouldn't want to wear a Hans device either. Anyhow, an airbag wouldn't do any good for me, if I lose a few teeth in the steering wheel so be it, but I will keep the lap belt on so I don't get tossed.

My current daily driver, a rusted out 89 Range Rover which I passionately named the CSS Alabama after the British built confederate warship, has no airbags; and, in fact, my mother was 9 months pregnant with me it was t-boned in an intersection when a man ran a red light. One smart fellew may say it explains my quirks, but I guarantee that if it was a common FWD car I may not be here...

Leave a comment:

• comatus
    replied
    Considering that it's us talking, it's a little surprising that everyone seems to agree on seat-belts. I can remember it being a hot topic for a while, in the mid-60's. The old F1 drivers (there were very few) used to say that being thrown clear was your only chance.

So, I was at the Indy 500 memorabilia show, and at one stand three people were talking about the exploits of Johnnie Parsons Senior. I said he'd saved my life several times -- because my high school had a "safety assembly" that he spoke at, showing some of those pictures we've now all seen of 50's sprint cars upside down in the air with no roll bar. He advised always wearing a seat belt, and I decided if it was good enough for Johnnie it was good enough for me. Turned out one of the people there was his daughter.

Buckling in is an action. In the racy days of sporty-cars, it might make you look like a more serious car guy. Putting on a helmet certainly sends a message -- I had to stop doing that on first dates, except for motorcycles. I stayed with the driving gloves, though. Kin-ky. I don't like the nomex as well as the old moroccan cabretta cut-outs, but that's just me. Me & Sir Stirling.

Things since then have been all passive. Baby seats will soon have RF signals to turn the passenger bag to the right setting.
    Last edited by comatus; 08-02-2012, 11:37 AM. Reason: Name spelled wrong on B-W trophy!

Leave a comment:

• Roscomacaw
    replied
    Originally posted by Jerry Forrester View Post
    I drive a very unsafe car. It's a 1955 Studebaker.
    It doesn't have;
    Air bags
    Anti-lock brakes
    Traction control
    Seat belts
    Outside rear view mirrors
    Disc brakes
    Dual master cylinder
    Crumple zones
    Collapsible steering column
    Or any other safety devices designed after 1955.
    I like driving an old car and living on the edge. <GGGG>
    I'm with you, Jerry! All the lost sleep over the lack of dual master cylinders, snap-worthy axles, and disc brakes - was not sleep that I lost.

When I guy pulled out in front of Pete in '95, I got tossed around the cab pretty good. IF this fella had hit me straight on - I can't imagine what the results would've been. But he hit me obliquely - from/on the right front quadrant. His Dodge PU climbed over my right front wheel and the right fender and the hood looked the worst of the damage - although it literally bent back the front axle on that side as well. Pete's ass end swung out to the left as a result and that momentum threw me to the left of the steering wheel's center. As I typically ride with at least the drivers window down, my elbow had been on the window ledge with my hand loosely resting against the back edge of the vent wing (which was swung part-ways open). In essence, I was pitched forward and to the left. It happened SO fast. And I was concious thru the whole thing - I well remember watching the horizon swing around in front of me as Pete spun and finally stopped with his front wheels against the curb. I also remember the adrenaline-fueled rage I felt as I watched the smushed Dodge drive away, leaking fluids profusely! I was screaming obscenities and throwing my prodigious bulk against a door that wouldn't budge ( I later realized that the whole ROOF of the cab had shifted and pinched the left door shut). What I didn't know was that a witness had taken the initiative to go follow the Dodge.
    Anyway, I was as high as a kite with adrenaline once I got out and assessed Pete and myself. My left hand was bleeding in several minor spots and I had a cut on my right knee where I'd banged a knob on the dash. Beyond that, I had buises and soreness in a number of places - including the left side of my head. It was that sideways impact that saved me from getting much more intimate with the steering wheel and windshield that day. "Dumb Luck" some might call it. I'm certain there are some that would concede it's the kinda luck I'm qualifed for.

Between MY experience - what I saw of Bobby Goodman's luck (and the luck of his three friends in a runaway '55 sedan) and the late Phil Brown's untimely demise - seat belts are too easy a concession to being old and stubborn. Two traits I would like to continue for a few more years. Of course, your choices and results may vary. I respect that.

Leave a comment:

Guest replied
    Having been involved in more than my fair share of auto accidents I have only had one car that had an airbag that deployed, actually the only car that had an airbag that was involved in an accident, and it went off in front of me and I never hit it. As I was wearing my seat belt it was, the airbag, that is, of no use.

There are virtues of having a solid car verses one with crumple zones. One of which is when hitting animals, as one does at some point in time if driving country roads for years on end, and as long as it does not weigh the same or more than the car its self the car comes out with minor damage. Even hitting smaller cars one's Studebaker can come off with minor damage in relation to the other vehicle.

The major fault with the older cars is the inability to absorb the inertia in drastic situations. This has become the domain of the newer cars and we can not hope to compete. Although Studebaker did the best they could, and better than most companies of the time, it is still a driver problem as opposed to a vehicle safety problem. I have never had a car pilot its self into my car. It always had an inattentive driver. So, we come to the fact that it's the drivers out there that are a danger to us and not so much our lack of

"Air bags
    Anti-lock brakes
    Traction control
    Seat belts
    Disc brakes
    Dual master cylinder
    Crumple zones
    Or any other safety devices designed after 1955." (Thanks Jerry)

And I guess the fun of driving older cars is the feeling of living on the edge, although I have been known to find the edge and skirt around it no matter what car I drive.

Leave a comment:

• Johnnywiffer
    replied
    Patrick Bedard, at the time a writer for Car and Driver, drove at Indy one year. Had an horrific wreck, the car literally flying to pieces. He stated that he felt his life was saved by his seatbelt and the design of the car.

Of course, racing seatbelts are different from ours. But the idea is the same: keep us out of the dash, windshield, instruments AND INSIDE the car.

My Silhouette has a driver’s airbag, the T&C has both and the Fiero has none. I never think about airbags because I always wear my seatbelt—even if just going around the corner to the mailbox.

The last accident I had was 30 years ago, in a Fiat Strada. Was T-boned at a stoplight by a pickup towing a trailer full of concrete blocks. He didn’t (or couldn’t) yield at my turn and buckled the whole passenger side of the Strada, leaving me with only minor cuts from a broken side window. I was wearing my seatbelt and of course, no airbags. Would they have made a difference? Quien sabe?

But I can tell you, I wouldn’t have been smiling later, if I hadn’t had the seatbelt on.

When I playfully tapped the brake pedal in my father’s Land Cruiser back in ‘52, Bill Sloan hit the windshield SLIGHTLY (although he did crack it). He wound up on the floor. Had he been wearing a seat belt, he wouldn’t have hit the windshield and I wouldn’t have had to lie to my father.

My point? Don’t worry about the airbag—ALWAYS WEAR A SEATBELT!

John

(...These Studebakers are KNOWN for terrible brakes!” Bill said. “My dad says they can’t stop unless you throw out the anchor.”

Oh yeah?”, I said and without warning, slammed on the brakes. He ended up on the floor but on the way, somehow his head had massaged and cracked the windshield. I’d told my father someone stopped suddenly in front of us and of course, Bill backed up my story...)
    Last edited by Johnnywiffer; 08-02-2012, 05:41 AM.

Leave a comment:

• Jerry Forrester
    replied
    I drive a very unsafe car. It's a 1955 Studebaker.
    It doesn't have;
    Air bags
    Anti-lock brakes
    Traction control
    Seat belts
    Disc brakes
    Dual master cylinder
    Crumple zones
    Or any other safety devices designed after 1955.
    I like driving an old car and living on the edge. <GGGG>

Leave a comment:

• Mrs K Corbin
    replied
    My 2 Cents:
    Any Safety Equipment must be used properly in order to be effective....
    Airbags should never be used without SeatBelts....
    Seatbelts should ALWAYS be worn... 30mph can put you into the windshield and your Nads in the Stickshift.... done it.... don't know what hurt worse.... lucky I didn't get cut up....
    ABS.... if you hit the brakes in a panic, they'll work even on ICE....... Pump them and they don't, especially on ICE... very light pumping is ok if you know what's in front of you....
    ANTI Skid/Traction Control.... works, unless you turn it off to do a burn-out.....
    Limited Slip Differential...... works very well........ Except on ICE, it'll actually cause you to skid sideways nearly off a bridge, rather than just spin one tire.... Poor Husband is stuck with a BMW 750, and wife has a new car, for that reason.

Leave a comment:

• crashnzuk
    replied
    I don't give them a second thought. I have been in a few car crashes, none of them involving an airbag, and have lived to tell about it. I drive everything from my wifes 05 Volvo (which EVERYONE asks if we got it because it's so safe, never gave it a second thought, just wanted a turbo and 6 speed ) to my 71 Dodge pick-up and drive them all the same. The only vehicles that really give me pause are the ones without seatbelts, I feel nekkid without one and feel they are the number one best safety device. Driving is dangerous and a person should really be in the moment when driving. Airbags give people too much security, car crashes seemingly have no consequences anymore unless they are REALLY bad or you are just really unlucky. People need to be better at what they do.
    Travis..

Leave a comment:

Guest replied
    As I wrote earlier "Stay safe out there. It's not usually your fault."

The times I have received any injuries in an auto accident, car or bike, it was someone who ran into me. The last time was someone who made a right turn from the left lane t-boning me in the drivers side A-pillar and door. It was a new Mini and they were going about 45mph then cut right when they realized the place they were looking for was on the other side of the road from where they were originally headed and indicated. They were still accelerating as they hit me. I was aware of all this but could not avoid it. If I was in my Lark I might not be here to write about it. It just comes down to "not being my time". I have driven that road in the Lark many times, it's even in the two videos of the Lark with the different six cylinder engines, and who knows when something like this is going to happen.

bezhawk, I appreciate your sarcasm and it helps me to realize I do drive a 50+ year old car because I enjoy it, not because it's safe, not that it isn't, but because it's fun.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X