Leaving For SB In The 56J Tomorrow From KY, Via Niagara Falls, NY

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Leaving For SB In The 56J Tomorrow From KY, Via Niagara Falls, NY

The wife, three kids and I plan to leave in the morning (Saturday) and drive to Cleveland; Sunday to Niagara Falls; Monday through Canada to someplace in Michigan, and then SB by Tuesday AM. Should be about 1,200 miles all total to SB. From SB, we'll head due south to home, only about 330 miles away.

Weather report looks good. Not worried about anything but hail. With the mega radiators I installed a few months in both the 56J and GT, heat is not a concern; neither car has gone past 180 degrees, even in the 100+ degree heat we have had. The AC is on just about anytime the engine is running in either car.

Joe

Wow, that's a round about way to get there, but it sounds like fun. Travel safe!
    Pat Dilling
    Olivehurst, CA
    Custom '53 Starlight aka STU COOL

LS1 Engine Swap Journal: http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/jour...ournalid=33611

Comment

And you do the same Pat. Will be sure to look you and your car up in SB.
      Joe

Comment

That sounds like a great family vacation. Good roads to you, the family, and both vehicles. Last year It was a long day to drive to the AOAI meet in Gettysburg from Chicago. This year, its only 90 miles to South Bend. Hope to see you after a trouble free trip.
        sigpic[SIGPIC]

Comment

Safe trip Joe, enjoy the Falls , its about 3 to 3.5 hours across Ontario to Sarnia/Port Huron border ( recommended route) , sorry we couldn't hook up for the trip but we'll make sure we look you up in SB.
          We did the same thing back a few years ago going to Omaha....we went by way of Texas to get there , had a blast and put 4500 miles on our truck that meet. Isn't that what makes it fun?
          Enjoy your trip and see you in SB.
          sigpic

Home of the Fried Green Tomato

"IF YOU WANT THE SMILES YOU NEED TO DO THE MILES "

1960 Champ , 1966 Daytona , 1965 Daytona Wagonaire

Comment

If you get jammed up while in the Niagara Falls area, give me a call (716) 517 1946. I'll be leaving for SB on Tuesday.
            Peter Bishop

Comment

Joe, don't worry about hail all that much. Those older cars had thicker, less ductile metal than new ones and can withstand a good deal more hail than new cars.

Our town of Brownsburg IN had a devastating hail strom in late May 1989. Everything was beat to smithereens. My insurance agent at the time had a nice driver 1950 Chevrolet sedan parked in front of his office; no protection whatsoever. But it was difficult to find hail damage on that car.

I got caught in a hail storm driving our 1956 Packard Clipper Super back from a meet in Datyton OH maybe 12 years ago. I can find two blemishes on the car that I would attribute to that pelting, but I'd have to show you where they are, they are so small.

You've got to really take a severe hail storm pounding in a '50s car to see any damage, whereas a late-model vehicle following you might be beat up by the same storm. That's one reason new cars generally weigh less, too.

(That's the body as to potential hail damage...now, as for large expanses of aluminum trim, that is another matter!) BP
              We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Comment

Originally posted by JoeHall View Post
                The wife, three kids and I plan to leave in the morning (Saturday) and drive to Cleveland; Sunday to Niagara Falls; Monday through Canada to someplace in Michigan, and then SB by Tuesday AM. Should be about 1,200 miles all total to SB. From SB, we'll head due south to home, only about 330 miles away.
                Hickory Corners (east of Kalamzoo) would be a great "somplace". The Gilmore Museum is an excellent stop along the way....

Craig

Comment

Joe, hope you got my PM about the wheels last night. Have a safe trip!
                  Proud NON-CASO

I do not prize the word "cheap." It is not a badge of honor...it is a symbol of despair. ~ William McKinley

If it is decreed that I should go down, then let me go down linked with the truth - let me die in the advocacy of what is just and right.- Lincoln

GOD BLESS AMERICA

Ephesians 6:10-17
                  Romans 15:13
                  Deuteronomy 31:6
                  Proverbs 28:1

Illegitimi non carborundum

Comment

Working...
                  X