Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Approx. cost of frame-off resto on 57 GH???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Approx. cost of frame-off resto on 57 GH???

Hello can anyone give me an idea on what a frame-off resto on JUST THE BODY and FRAME would cost?? The motor, tranny and interior are out of the car and I've got NOS fenders and doors,.....Any help would be GREATLY appreciated.... A HIGH and a LOW estimate along with potential people to do this would help.....Thanks!!

On my Speedster, And I started with the best sheet metel I could find. I still ended up with $9000 in the body to get it right with paint on it.
    Klif
    55 Speedster/Street Machine
    63 Avanti R2
    64 Convertible R1

Comment

I don't know how much work you are going to do. You do it yourself mostly I would guess 20 to 30K, if you have it done in a shop 50K to 70K, good luck

Comment

Originally posted by vmania View Post
        Hello can anyone give me an idea on what a frame-off resto on JUST THE BODY and FRAME would cost?? The motor, tranny and interior are out of the car and I've got NOS fenders and doors,.....Any help would be GREATLY appreciated.... A HIGH and a LOW estimate along with potential people to do this would help.....Thanks!!
        There is no set price approximation. Some pay more for services than others. Lots of variables, condition of your car- competency and quality of work of the shop. Best to have someone knowledgeable to oversee your project sorta acting as your agent to oversee your checkbook. not affiliated with the people working on your car. One thing that I'll bank on. You can buy a turn-key beautiful specimine for less than a restoration in most cases. Pay the price with a loan or if you have the bucks, I have seen many 57 Golden Hawks and comparable nice specimines go for 25,000 and much more less. If you decide on having a shop doing a resto, you are sometimes at their mercy once into the project. Not only that, it may be quite a while before you drive your dream car if you go the resto route. Others will chime in. cheers jimmijim
        sigpicAnything worth doing deserves your best shot. Do it right the first time. When you're done you will know it. { I'm just the guy who thinks he knows everything, my buddy is the guy who knows everything.} cheers jimmijim*****SDC***** member

Comment

Get a few estimates on parts and labor cost. Add it ALL up, and then double it.

Comment

Originally posted by vmania View Post
            More money then the thing will ever be worth. At that, you will have to continue pooring money into it just to maintain it's restored condition. If your not concerned with such and the car is never going to be considered an investment, go for it. If it's an investment, let someone else worry with it.

Love em, leave em, your still going to pay for em!
            Bo

Comment

A lot depends on the condition of your car and how many hours to complete the job. All restoration shops charge by the hour myself included. labor rates vary by location and rep of shop. Send me some pictures of the car showing any bad areas and just a general veiw of the car and I will tell you what I would charge to do it. Not saying you would what to ship it to mn. but will give you a good idea of what you should pay. Most restored cars can be bought cheaper than you can restore one. With the market where it is now even more so. Steve

Comment

Only you know how far you want to go but I did a 61 Hawk and here are some thoughts: Do you just want it running and painted or do you want a 400 point show car? If you want 400 point car consider this- Wheel covers, tires, and labor to sandblast and paint the rims $1500.00 right there. All the chrome (grills too) redone- probably $ 5000.00 or higher. The entire brake system (drums etc.) as opposed to just wheel cylinders $2500.00. Gas tank restored-$800.00. You just spent $10,000.00 and the body isn't even touched or talked about. See my point is painting a car is one thing, really restoring it is something completely different. Somewhere around 1,100 manhours to get it pretty right. Are you paying for those hours or are they your hours of "FREE" time?

Comment

Low: Just running and quick paint:$15,000.00.

High: Restored 400 point car $55,000.00 and this assumes you can do a lot of work. If you can't turn a wrench $80,000.00

Comment

This day and time......it's cheaper to buy one already done.....save yourself a lot of headaches.

Dan Miller
                    Auburn, GA.

Comment

Yup. All of the above. Mine cost $50,000 to build, it appraised in at $30,000 and I'll drive it 'til I die, then someone can have it for $20,000. No regrets. I built the car I wanted, learned so much in the process and expensed most of it through the business...now there's a money saving tip!
                      Dave Warren (Perry Mason by day, Perry Como by night)

Comment

Put the following in the Advanced Search Box at the top of the page: "Present Day Studebaker Shops". This thread lists a whole bunch or shops for restoration and repair. I have said enough.

Comment

Low estimate: Arm and a leg. High estimate: Low estimate, plus your firstborn child.

I was quoted a ballpark figure of 15,000 just to have the body work (and I think that might even have been sans painting) done on the Lark by a restoration shop. That didn't include mechanical, interior, or anything outside of the steel repair.
                          '63 Lark Custom, 259 v8, auto, child seat

"Your friendly neighborhood Studebaker evangelist"

Comment

The high costs of hiring ANYONE to do any work for you is what is slowly slaughtering the antique car hobby. As owners age, restrictions mount on home work; spraying, parts cars..., we find ourselves at the point where the car is forced to "sit". It's sad. Those 80K figures you guys toss around....yeah hahaha that's just not in the world of Studebakers or Studebaker owners. Thanks for telling us that.... That's what makes cars "sit".

Comment

Jimc. I would think Omaha would be cheaper than that. What where the labor rates they where hitting you with? I'am a semi retired body guy with a small shop out back. I try to get my labor rate to fall in at around $35. plus supplies and parts at cost. Needless to say I stay pretty busy. Not sure how to post pictures on here or I would put up some of my work.

Comment

Working...
                              X