Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• doug
    replied
    In L.A. we have sink holes that swallow up whole cars when a water main breaks, seems like a monthly lottery.

Leave a comment:

• warrlaw1
    replied
    When water freezes it expands and breaks up asphalt and concrete. No ice in California, then no potholes.

Leave a comment:

• 2R5
    replied
    Bob , you just need to take a few leafs out of your springs in Michigan <g>

Leave a comment:

• Roscomacaw
    replied
    In all seriousness, when I drove Pete to SB/Michigan in '97, I was glad I now live in Ca. Man! The condition of the roads back there! I honestly don't know HOW you guys enjoy your cars back there. I live on a paved rural road and there's NO potholes or cracks to deal with. As much as we (the wife and I) think about moving back to the land of our roots, I don't know if I could stand it.

Leave a comment:

• johnod
    replied
    All right, 69 sounds like a winner, just have to figure a route to avoid 94/96 coming from Marine city, about 1/2 hour south of Port Huron.

Don't see much choice to get to 69 looks like 94 is a necessary evil.
    Last edited by johnod; 07-25-2012, 07:36 PM.

Leave a comment:

• Bob Bryant
    replied
    I-69 is good choice for a smooth ride. The suggestion of touring the Gilmore Museum is a great idea, too.

Leave a comment:

• sweetolbob
    replied
    Originally posted by johnod View Post
    Just looking for a good road, to run 60-70 mph, that i might enjoy the trip, and not be constantlon the look out for killer trucks and pot holes. Does 69 fit the bill?
    69 is your best bet as 94 and 96 are full of "killer trucks". It is in better condition than the others and, with the exception of the Lansing area, usually much lower in traffic. Your best bet is to follow it to the 80/90 turnpike at Angola and west to SB.

Don't take the route through Detroit which will take you to 94 or 96. If you do, Take 75 south to 80/90 and avoid 94/96 like a plague.

My choice to get out of the state on the western side is always to take 69. From Bay City, I'll be taking 75 to 69 at Flint and 80/90 at Angola and on to SB.

Bob
    Last edited by sweetolbob; 07-25-2012, 07:06 PM.

Leave a comment:

• johnod
    replied
    Originally posted by 2R5 View Post
    Well we go to SB alot and find that heading down 69 to the 80 toll road is about the best way to go unless you want to take a slower route .
    Just looking for a good road, to run 60-70 mph, that i might enjoy the trip, and not be constantlon the look out for killer trucks and pot holes. Does 69 fit the bill?

Leave a comment:

• sweetolbob
    replied
    John

I'll assume you are coming across at Port Huron. If so, you will be a little south of my comfort zone but let me suggest that you select a route that will take you south of Lansing if you want two lane roads to Hickory Corners, Mi. That is the home of the Gilmore Museum which is a must see. Allow a number of hours to build your Old Car Jones before you head south to SB.

Realistically you will have to pass through a number of small towns and slow traffic no matter which way you go so I'd just take I-69 to Charlotte ( two hours or so) get off to Hickory Corners and use the saved time to explore the museum. You can then get your fill of two lane to SB unless you want to make time and take the 131 expressway south. That area of Michigan is not bad for scenery but it gets pretty old after a few miles and towns with traffic.

Bob

Leave a comment:

• 2R5
    replied
    Well we go to SB alot and find that heading down 69 to the 80 toll road is about the best way to go unless you want to take a slower route .

Leave a comment:

• johnod
    replied
    Originally posted by 2R5 View Post
    Isn't that where the Ferry crossing to Canada is? We'll probably go home that way .
    Yep it is.

Leave a comment:

• Roscomacaw
    replied
    I could spell out how to get from Niles to South Bend.

Leave a comment:

• 2R5
    replied
    Isn't that where the Ferry crossing to Canada is? We'll probably go home that way .

Leave a comment:

• johnod
    started a topic Michigan to South Bend route?

Michigan to South Bend route?

Can anyone recommend a good, somewhat enjoyable, route, I'm coming from Marine City area , just south of Port Huron.
Working...
X