Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• kmac530
    replied
    Trust me Dave, the airplanes were nothing special to look at, Coach class on US Airways A321 airbus was WAY less comfortable than the Scania Tour busses we rode while down there. Those things were pure LUXURY. I would way rather ride in the new Mexican busses than the Boeing 757 from LAX to Charlotte.

I even wore my white T-shirt with the GIANT red dot Studebaker logo on it and not one person said anything.

Leave a comment:

• studegary
    replied
    But you should have been looking for Avantis, not Studebakers <G>. Avantis were built there as recently as 2007.

Leave a comment:

• StudeDave57
    replied
    Originally posted by aarrggh View Post
    What ! No pic of the tour bus . ?
    Or the airplanes?

Leave a comment:

• Lou Van Anne
    replied
    Originally posted by Chris_Dresbach View Post
    Yes, Studebaker did have an assembly plant in Mexico. It was limited and operated in a similar way to the Canadian plant. I have a pic of it somewhere.
    I was told that it was later used to build VWs.

Leave a comment:

• warrlaw1
    replied
    15 years of going to Acapulco and no Studes. I showed pictures of mine and few knew what it was. One fellow retored an old MG and the sea salt undid his work in a hurry. Maybe that's why?

Leave a comment:

• Chris_Dresbach
    replied
    Yes, Studebaker did have an assembly plant in Mexico. It was limited and operated in a similar way to the Canadian plant. I have a pic of it somewhere.

Leave a comment:

• Lou Van Anne
    replied
    Having made many trips (25+) to Mexico in the past, I do recall seeing Studebakers. Here are a few: a late forties Ragtop in D.F.; a GT Hawk in Ensenada, another GT Hawk in Lazaro Cardnes, 51 Starlight in Baja Sur, and a 52 four door in Morellia.
    While there, I also saw, on old TV movies, a Mexican Lark Taxi cab and a Mexican Police car chase a 59/60 Lark full of bad guys (and buy the way, the Lark out ran the cop car!...a 57 Ford as I recall...it was exciting...guess which one I cheered for!).
    I have also heard that Studebaker assembled cars in Puebla in the mid-fifties but have never verified that.

Leave a comment:

• plwindish
    replied
    You could have gone on a great adventure to find the shuttered Avanti factory. Of course with me living near Chicago, I could always go to the federal lock up to see the factory's owner, Mike Kelly.

Leave a comment:

• aarrggh
    replied
    What ! No pic of the tour bus . ?

Leave a comment:

• kmac530
    started a topic Studebaker free Cancun

Studebaker free Cancun

I spent ALL week looking for a Studebaker in Cancun Mexico last week and did not see a single one.

I looked ALL over the bottom of my hotel lagoon through my mask and snorkel, not one.

I looked through 3 different massage table face supports, no Studes on the floor there.

I looked ALL through the bottom of a number of beer glasses and cocktail glasses, none.

I looked up underneath a whole bunch of sunbrellas, and Pallapas, nothing.

I even looked out the window of alot of tour bus and city collectivos windows in Cancun, Playa del Carmen, and Riviera Maya all to no avail. Not a single Stude anywhere. I had a Stude free week and yet somehow, someway, managed to have tons of fun. Other than 4 long and uncomfortable flights on my neck I still managed to enjoy an all inclusive week that did NOT include any Studes! I guess it was NOT technically "ALL inclusive" was it?

Working...
X