No announcement yet.

Mpg's

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

No clue on the gearing, but the OD would definitely improve mileage on the highway. Not sure that stop and go city driving would be too affected.
    '63 Lark Custom, 259 v8, auto, child seat

"Your friendly neighborhood Studebaker evangelist"

Comment

Originally posted by JimC View Post
      No clue on the gearing, but the OD would definitely improve mileage on the highway. Not sure that stop and go city driving would be too affected.
      I do a lot of hwy driving... so I may look in to getting the overdrive. What would be a good gear ratio to run in your opinion?
      1960 Lark VIII Regal Wagon

Comment

My 53 has averaged about 20 mpg with a 55 259 and a 450 cfm 4bbl , driving about 70 mph most of the time. T86 with overdrive and a 3.42 rear end.

Comment

I have a 3.07 rear diff in the 63. It's acceptable from the start (moreso if I start in low), but the bonus is that even without overdrive I can zip along at 65 without the engine begging for mercy. I think a 307 with OD would be a gas miser on the highway.
          '63 Lark Custom, 259 v8, auto, child seat

"Your friendly neighborhood Studebaker evangelist"

Comment

Being an Obsessive Compulsive record keeper I kept track of every gallon I put in my '61 Cruiser (first Studebaker and first new car) from new until I Traded it in '64 with 65,000 miles. It was a 259, automatic with AC. For the entire 65,000 miles it averaged 18.63 mpg, some long trips, but a lot of local and city driving. One other time that I computed mileage was when I returned to Fairfax, VA from an International Meet at South Bend, my '64 Daytona Wagonaire, 259 with overdrive got 23 mpg. In 2003 on out Potomac Chapter Route 66 Trip my '64 Avanti R-2 Powershift got 16 mpg. When I bought the 1960 one-ton four-wheel drive wrecker that George Hamlin has now, I drove it from Burlington, VT to Fairfax, VA- got 8 mpg. Of course it was a 245 six, four speed with a 5.19 rear.
            Paul Johnson, Wild and Wonderful West Virginia.
            '64 Daytona Wagonaire, '64 Avanti R-1, Museum R-4 engine, '72 Gravely Model 430 with Onan engine

Comment

Originally posted by JimsLeadCommander View Post
              I bought one of those 'Tornados' for my car. (The device that looks something like a cookie cutter made of steel, circular with angled 'blades' inside the outer round piece). I can attest that it actually works! Improved the mileage on my 2008 Sonata by between 1.5 to 2 mpg! Goes inside the air tube from air filter toward the engine ---- swirls the air like a tornado creating better breathing or air flow into the cylinders.....or so the literature says. Whatever, the thing works for me.

Would it work twice as well if you put two of them on?

Comment

I really don't care what the 58 gets this weekend as we are headed towards South Bend, as long as the a/c works. 259 with 3:31 gears, Edelbrock 500. I'm guessing around 15mpg.
                Jamie McLeod
                Hope Mills, NC

1963 Lark "Ugly Betty"
                1958 Commander "Christine"
                1964 Wagonaire "Louise"
                1955 Commander Sedan
                1964 Champ
                1960 Lark

Comment

Originally posted by JimC View Post
                  I think a 307 with OD would be a gas miser on the highway.
                  I once bought a '63 Cruiser with a straight 3-speed. I never checked what the rear was. I replaced the trans with an overdrive unit. I never really paid any attention to fuel mileage except on one occasion.
                  On a Keystone Region Tour from central PA to DC and back, we were accompanied by a '56 Transtar with 170 and no overdrive. Obviously, we maintained no more than 55 mph. Pretty slow for my taste. At any rate, I got an honest 28 mpg with the 289 V-8. The rear must have been 3.07. I don't think they offered anything taller.

Now, I've transplanted a 289 in to a '53 coupe, with FOM trans and TT 3.07 rear. Looking forward to some experience with it.
                  "All attempts to 'rise above the issue' are simply an excuse to avoid it profitably." --Dick Gregory

Brad Johnson, SDC since 1975, ASC since 1990
                  Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
                  '33 Rockne 10,
                  '51 Commander Starlight,
                  '53 Commander Starlight "Désirée",
                  '56 Sky Hawk

Comment

I am enroute to SB on Route 66. Started today from Thousand Oaks (just north of LA) I have been driving my 64 Cruiser 289 auto, with AC and today got 18.9 on the freeway doing 70 mph. I am happy. BTW it has a two barrel.

Mark

Comment

I believe my dad used to get mid twenties in our 59 lark six with standard and od. Of course there was lead in the gas back then. With the usual ethanol laced junk we have today that would probalby translate to low twenties if lucky. Dad was no pillowfoot either, probably ran at least 65 to 70.
                      Diesel loving, autocrossing, Coupe express loving, Grandpa Architect.

Comment

Working...
                      X