X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1962larksedan
    replied
    Originally posted by avantilover View Post
    I'd have no objection, but the cost would be horrendous. Sweden converted in the 80s I think but they're only a small country.

1967 for Sweden and their vehicles were mostly LHD even back then. The 1962 up Plymouth Valiant 4 door with the 225 Slant Six was assembled over there by SAAB and was quite popular with the local police. They were essentially the same as our USA models, LHD and all but were fitted with 3 point seatbelts, etc.

Leave a comment:

• avantilover
    replied
    I'd have no objection, but the cost would be horrendous. Sweden converted in the 80s I think but they're only a small country.

Leave a comment:

• JimC
    replied
    We have plenty of Asian vehicles as well as European. Not too many American due to the LHD issue.
    The easy fix is to quit driving on the left. You know, they call it the "right" side of the road for a reason

Leave a comment:

• avantilover
    replied
    We have plenty of Asian vehicles as well as European. Not too many American due to the LHD issue.

Leave a comment:

• Scott
    replied
    If you put her picture on SDC recruiting brochures we'll see our membership triple and it'll be a lot of young men, too!

Leave a comment:

• michelle
    replied
    WOW, she's super cutie! That's so awesome that she's getting a car like that as her first set of wheels. She's a lucky kid!

Leave a comment:

• 1962larksedan
    replied
    I think the Police could pull someone over and check their licence, then if a V8 trouble. The intent was due to the idiots hooning around in today's powerful V8's but - as in all such worthy attemps - they go too far. I can't imagine wanting a new driver to drive the 650 horsepower Mustang.

Here is the link to the rules applying here in South Australia.

http://mylicence.sa.gov.au/p1_plater

Weird. I looked at your link and I saw virtually no Hondas, Nissans or Toyotas but scads of Euro brand vehicles.

Leave a comment:

• hausdok
    replied
    Originally posted by packardHawk58 View Post
    Jim, we have the most policed country in the world, it sucks, its all about revenue. When I first drove over in the Us on your freeways i was sitting on the speedlimit on what we have to obey here (60mph) and I had old grannys passing me! I love coming over there and cranking up the renter to 70-80mph the traffic moves really well and you guys are far more forgiving drivers.
    Oh, maybe that explains it.

I've watched a few episodes of Worlds Greatest Trucker and the Aussie in the group was getting really irritated when he was paired up with drivers from the US who he said were "speeding" all the time and who would nag him to put his foot down when he was driving because he was driving too slow. (Of course, one of the US guys he was paired up with yapped non-stop, acted like a backwoods oak and would have driven me insane; I don't know how he got through those episodes without knocking the guy out from under his dentures.)

Leave a comment:

• packardHawk58
    replied
    Originally posted by JimC View Post
    Okay, I totally respect and love Australia. If I were ever exiled from the US, it's the first place I'd pick to move to. In addition, I do think that placing certain restrictions on young drivers keeps them (and those around them) safer.

That being said, a blanket "no V8's" rule is about the... least intelligent idea I've ever heard of. I mean, for starters, as has been said, there are piles of modern 4 and 6 cyl. cars that can match or outperform my V8 powered lark. On top of that, While yes, an engine is important, the rest of the drivetrain also needs to be considered. If you mated the V6 in my minivan to a decent transmission and a rear differential with a high enough gear ratio, you could get enough speed to the wheels to make it scary fast. Why not make the rule that you can't exceed a certain horsepower instead? Have the cars dyno'ed by a certified shop, and boom - you've got a standard number that measures the car's true performance. But as it sits, that law sorta discriminates against old steel.
    Jim, we have the most policed country in the world, it sucks, its all about revenue. When I first drove over in the Us on your freeways i was sitting on the speedlimit on what we have to obey here (60mph) and I had old grannys passing me! I love coming over there and cranking up the renter to 70-80mph the traffic moves really well and you guys are far more forgiving drivers.

Leave a comment:

• Aussie Hawk
    replied
    Originally posted by kmac530 View Post
    So I can put my 16 year old daughter in a 6 cylinder Turbo Carrera but not my Chevy 1/2 ton truck?

I get the concept of the law but the function seems to have missed something here.

BTW my 18 y/o daughter loves that Lark and your daughters style.
    Yeah I know guys it just doesn't make any sense, but really, when did governments make sense ???
    Here's another pic of my daughter Alexandra. She asked my buddy ,(the budding photographer), to take some pics with the Daytona, (Alley loves that car). When I saw them, as the father of a 15 yo, I was certainly taken aback, yeah she's beautiful, but looks 22 not 15..... And just loves the '40's - '50's style, I can't wait to see her in the Lark. (proud dad :-)

Leave a comment:

• avantilover
    replied
    I think the Police could pull someone over and check their licence, then if a V8 trouble. The intent was due to the idiots hooning around in today's powerful V8's but - as in all such worthy attemps - they go too far. I can't imagine wanting a new driver to drive the 650 horsepower Mustang.

Here is the link to the rules applying here in South Australia.

http://mylicence.sa.gov.au/p1_plater
    Last edited by avantilover; 07-25-2012, 11:44 PM.

Leave a comment:

• JimC
    replied
    I wonder how they police this? Is it based on vehicle registrations? I was at a cruise last week where someone had taken a little Mazda and transplanted a Corvette V8 into it. If the hood is shut, there's no way to know that its not the original 4 banger (or maybe a v6) under the hood. Like I said, there are way better metrics than number of cylinders. A horsepower to weight ratio would be a much better determining factor.

Leave a comment:

• 1962larksedan
    replied
    Originally posted by kmac530 View Post
    So I can put my 16 year old daughter in a 6 cylinder Turbo Carrera but not my Chevy 1/2 ton truck?

I get the concept of the law but the function seems to have missed something here.

Porsche 917 would be OK as well...............

Leave a comment:

• kmac530
    replied

Leave a comment:

• 1962larksedan
    replied
    Originally posted by JimC View Post
    Okay, I totally respect and love Australia. If I were ever exiled from the US, it's the first place I'd pick to move to. In addition, I do think that placing certain restrictions on young drivers keeps them (and those around them) safer.

That being said, a blanket "no V8's" rule is about the... least intelligent idea I've ever heard of. I mean, for starters, as has been said, there are piles of modern 4 and 6 cyl. cars that can match or outperform my V8 powered lark. On top of that, While yes, an engine is important, the rest of the drivetrain also needs to be considered. If you mated the V6 in my minivan to a decent transmission and a rear differential with a high enough gear ratio, you could get enough speed to the wheels to make it scary fast. Why not make the rule that you can't exceed a certain horsepower instead? Have the cars dyno'ed by a certified shop, and boom - you've got a standard number that measures the car's true performance. But as it sits, that law sorta discriminates against old steel.
    No joke there. Quite a few V6 powered modern cars can exceed 140 MPH.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X