• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• JimC
    replied
    Originally posted by avantilover View Post
    No V8's until age 25.
    Okay, I totally respect and love Australia. If I were ever exiled from the US, it's the first place I'd pick to move to. In addition, I do think that placing certain restrictions on young drivers keeps them (and those around them) safer.

That being said, a blanket "no V8's" rule is about the... least intelligent idea I've ever heard of. I mean, for starters, as has been said, there are piles of modern 4 and 6 cyl. cars that can match or outperform my V8 powered lark. On top of that, While yes, an engine is important, the rest of the drivetrain also needs to be considered. If you mated the V6 in my minivan to a decent transmission and a rear differential with a high enough gear ratio, you could get enough speed to the wheels to make it scary fast. Why not make the rule that you can't exceed a certain horsepower instead? Have the cars dyno'ed by a certified shop, and boom - you've got a standard number that measures the car's true performance. But as it sits, that law sorta discriminates against old steel.

Leave a comment:

• avantilover
    replied
    No V8's until age 25.

Leave a comment:

• Milaca
    replied
    That's a beautiful daughter you have there Matt and she looks like a natural in your Studebaker. Does she have any plans for customizing the Lark to personalize it? Maybe some purple flames on the front?

Leave a comment:

• 1962larksedan
    replied
    Originally posted by Aussie Hawk View Post
    The left hand drive thing was her mother's argument too, but Alley will be fine.

Bill: If the Daytona had been a 6 cyl I would have lost it to her, she loved it, but the rule here is no V8's for new drivers. Crazy when you see how much Hp guys get out of their 4 cyl rice burners.

No joke about the no V8 rule since a current model Toyota Camry V6 is capable of high 14 seconds in the quarter mile whereas a 259-2V Stude with 3:08 gears; mid 17's at best?

Leave a comment:

• Bob Andrews
    replied
    Very cool, Matt, and very pretty girl! Here they call that style of dress/makeup "pinup girl", after the pinup pictures of the 40s/50s. We have a lot of fun at car shows. Lovely!

Leave a comment:

• Aussie Hawk
    replied
    Originally posted by packardHawk58 View Post
    Better convert it over Matt, first driver on a lefthand drive car it could be ugly! Send it down here I can do it, 60 Larks are easy to do, pretty basic dash, firewall construction is almost symetrical. She can't be your daughter Matt, she is too good looking!
    The left hand drive thing was her mother's argument too, but Alley will be fine.

Bill: If the Daytona had been a 6 cyl I would have lost it to her, she loved it, but the rule here is no V8's for new drivers. Crazy when you see how much Hp guys get out of their 4 cyl rice burners.

Leave a comment:

• hausdok
    replied
    Originally posted by candbstudebakers View Post
    That picture looks like and 64 Studebaker ad.
    That's what I thought too.

Your daughter is a knockout, Matt. It looks like she did her hair, makeup and clothes in 60's style for a glamour shot with the car.

Leave a comment:

• Jeff T.
    replied
    My daughter, now six, told me two years ago that my Lark hardtop was, as she put it, " that's my car Daddy", and that was that

I figure that by the time she hits 16, she will be a good six foot tall and need a car the size of "my" Lark.

It's either the Lark or I'll find her a 2 ton diesel duelly with manual shift and geared so low that 60 mph will be a fantasy

Jeff T.

Leave a comment:

• candbstudebakers
    replied
    That picture looks like and 64 Studebaker ad.

Leave a comment:

• JimC
    replied
    Now that's awesome!

It's so cool to see the next generation wanting to drive Studebakers. Sorta gives you hope that they'll be on the road for a long time to come

I asked my two (almost three) year old what kind of car he wants to drive when he's a grownup. He said "I want a STUDEBAKER!" He also refers to the 60 sedan as "his Studebaker". I think he secretly knows that it will take until he's 16 to get it done

Leave a comment:

• Bill Pressler
    replied
    Originally posted by BobPalma View Post
    Matt, no one that looked like that ever sat behind the wheel of that '64 Daytona when I owned it!!
    Might we assume your wife and daughters don't access the SDC Forum, Bill? BP[/QUOTE]

I said, "Sat behind the wheel", Bob! My wife never drove it and my daughters rode in it, but were never behind the wheel! LOL
    Last edited by Bill Pressler; 07-26-2012, 02:42 AM.

Leave a comment:

• packardHawk58
    replied
    You might as well Leroy, I have more Studebakers in my workshop at the minute than Corvettes, join the line. I might need it down here to load up all of your brothers parts that I have to haul back from SB, I wish he would stop buying!

Leave a comment:

• BobPalma
    replied
    Originally posted by Bill Pressler View Post
    My (beautiful 15 yo) daughter in the '64 Daytona.
    Matt, no one that looked like that ever sat behind the wheel of that '64 Daytona when I owned it!! [/QUOTE]

Might we assume your wife and daughters don't access the SDC Forum, Bill? BP

Leave a comment:

• fatso
    replied
    damn wish i had that for my first car.nice....not quiet fast enough though.

Leave a comment:

• Bill Pressler
    replied
    My (beautiful 15 yo) daughter in the '64 Daytona.
    [/QUOTE]

Matt, no one that looked like that ever sat behind the wheel of that '64 Daytona when I owned it!!

Leave a comment:

Working...
X