tail lights

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• tail lights

Hi, Does anybody out there know where I can get some new or NOS tail lights for my 61 Lark 6? Thanks. David

David G. Nittler
    David G. Nittler

They turn up now and then on ebay, but tend to be very expensive. I really don't know why someone hasn't reproduced them yet.

Skip Lackie
    Washington DC
    Skip Lackie

Comment

They turn up now and then on ebay, but tend to be very expensive. I really don't know why someone hasn't reproduced them yet.

Skip Lackie
      Washington DC
      Skip Lackie

Comment

I have one available N.O.S., contact me through my profile by e-mail for pricing if interested.
        Frank van Doorn
        Omaha, Ne.
        1962 GT Hawk 289 4 speed
        1941 Champion streetrod, R-2 Powered, GM 200-4R trans.
        1952 V-8 232 Commander State "Starliner" hardtop OD

Comment

I have one available N.O.S., contact me through my profile by e-mail for pricing if interested.
          Frank van Doorn
          Omaha, Ne.
          1962 GT Hawk 289 4 speed
          1941 Champion streetrod, R-2 Powered, GM 200-4R trans.
          1952 V-8 232 Commander State "Starliner" hardtop OD

Comment

quote:Originally posted by Skip Lackie

I talked to Chuck Collins at South Bend. Chuck has repoped the '62 and '63 tail light lenses (absolutely beautiful, BTW).

https://www.studebakerparts.com/stud...y.a6955*qM6Lxi

Chuck is a long way from recouping his tooling investment. Probably never will. All those Lark owners who cried for new lenses can't seem to pony up the $65 for one [V].

Chuck feels there are probably 25 or so true show quality '61's out there. Even if every one of those owners bought a set (unlikely), that wouldn't come close to justifying the tooling expense.

I doubt if you will ever see these repoped. Same with many other Stude parts. Those that have tried, have generally lost their shirts. Volumes weren't great on these cars and we are a (ahhhemmm) frugal lot.

Dick Steinkamp
            Bellingham, WA

Comment

quote:Originally posted by Skip Lackie

I talked to Chuck Collins at South Bend. Chuck has repoped the '62 and '63 tail light lenses (absolutely beautiful, BTW).

https://www.studebakerparts.com/stud...y.a6955*qM6Lxi

Chuck is a long way from recouping his tooling investment. Probably never will. All those Lark owners who cried for new lenses can't seem to pony up the $65 for one [V].

Chuck feels there are probably 25 or so true show quality '61's out there. Even if every one of those owners bought a set (unlikely), that wouldn't come close to justifying the tooling expense.

I doubt if you will ever see these repoped. Same with many other Stude parts. Those that have tried, have generally lost their shirts. Volumes weren't great on these cars and we are a (ahhhemmm) frugal lot.

Dick Steinkamp
              Bellingham, WA

Comment

I need both taillight lenses for my '63 Cruiser. It is just a matter of my wife allowing me more in my allowance[:I]. Maybe next month.[:0]

1963 Cruiser, 1962 Lark, 1952 Champion. Based in Oregon.

Comment

I need both taillight lenses for my '63 Cruiser. It is just a matter of my wife allowing me more in my allowance[:I]. Maybe next month.[:0]

1963 Cruiser, 1962 Lark, 1952 Champion. Based in Oregon.

Comment

Reproducing Lark parts is pretty much a losing deal on most parts. I know Phantom Auto and me deal with it every day. He knows that Studebaker owners won't spend 3K plus to do the interior on most Larks so he sends some to me, then I get the "XXX dollars ?", that's more then I paid for the car." comment

JDP/Maryland
                    64 Daytona HT/R2 clone
                    64 GT R2
                    63 GT R2
                    63 Lark 2 door
                    59 3E truck
                    58 Starlight
                    52 & 53 Starliner
                    51 Commander

JDP Maryland

Comment

Reproducing Lark parts is pretty much a losing deal on most parts. I know Phantom Auto and me deal with it every day. He knows that Studebaker owners won't spend 3K plus to do the interior on most Larks so he sends some to me, then I get the "XXX dollars ?", that's more then I paid for the car." comment

JDP/Maryland
                      64 Daytona HT/R2 clone
                      64 GT R2
                      63 GT R2
                      63 Lark 2 door
                      59 3E truck
                      58 Starlight
                      52 & 53 Starliner
                      51 Commander

JDP Maryland

Comment

You know, Studebaker made whole lot of '47 to '49 cars, which had tail lights in a chrome housing that wrapped around the corner of the car, very much like the '61 lens does. I see those units at the swaps all the time.

Maybe someone could fabricate an adaptor plate or shim to fit postwar-body tail lights onto '61 quarters. They'd look very nice on a lark, IMHO.

Now, to open a REAL can of worms. How about putting this, and a few other select and appropriate modifications on an SDC "approved" list, provided the car owner buys a certificate from SDC for a nominal sum (say $5.00). This certificate would annul authenticity points deductions for the specific modification, except in the case where the car is in contention for best of division or best of show. Maybe we could call such certificates "SDC Service Letters" and issue them on Studebaker letterhead, but clearly marked with the current date.

And no, I'm not proposing that SDC should start selling "indulgences" for people to install SBCs or Toyota bucket seats, merely a means to "legitimize" the replacement of a few unobtainium parts with a standardized substitute. It's something the factory would have done, had the need arisen while they were still doing business, after all.

Well, it's the kernel of an idea, anyway.

Gord Richmond, within Weasel range of the Alberta Badlands

Comment

You know, Studebaker made whole lot of '47 to '49 cars, which had tail lights in a chrome housing that wrapped around the corner of the car, very much like the '61 lens does. I see those units at the swaps all the time.

Maybe someone could fabricate an adaptor plate or shim to fit postwar-body tail lights onto '61 quarters. They'd look very nice on a lark, IMHO.

Now, to open a REAL can of worms. How about putting this, and a few other select and appropriate modifications on an SDC "approved" list, provided the car owner buys a certificate from SDC for a nominal sum (say $5.00). This certificate would annul authenticity points deductions for the specific modification, except in the case where the car is in contention for best of division or best of show. Maybe we could call such certificates "SDC Service Letters" and issue them on Studebaker letterhead, but clearly marked with the current date.

And no, I'm not proposing that SDC should start selling "indulgences" for people to install SBCs or Toyota bucket seats, merely a means to "legitimize" the replacement of a few unobtainium parts with a standardized substitute. It's something the factory would have done, had the need arisen while they were still doing business, after all.

Well, it's the kernel of an idea, anyway.

Comment

quote:Originally posted by gordr
                            And no, I'm not proposing that SDC should start selling "indulgences" for people to install SBCs
                            Darn it!

[)]

Dick Steinkamp
                            Bellingham, WA

Comment

quote:Originally posted by gordr
                              And no, I'm not proposing that SDC should start selling "indulgences" for people to install SBCs
                              Darn it!

[)]

Dick Steinkamp
                              Bellingham, WA

Comment

Working...
                              X