3.5 Million Sq. Ft. Packard Plant

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Chris_Dresbach View Post
    Thanks for the pics Bob. I've never been to the Packard plant, but still appreciate it. It's hard to imagine that the place used to turn out some of the finest automobiles on this side of the hemisphere. Do you have any "before" pictures for comparison? And what the heck happened in that lobby from 1989 to now?!
    Chris: I believe The Studebaker National Museum has publications from Packard Automobile Classics, the larger of the two Packard Clubs.

Their slick, color, glossy quarterly magazine is known as The Packard Cormorant. The Winter 2009 issue, cover below, is dedicated to the Detroit Packard factory:

That issue has dozens of then & now photos. 'Next time you are at The SNM, ask to see their copy and you can see all the "before & afters" you want.

The Lobby was obviously broken into and vandalized during the years since 1989. That's pretty much the story of the whole place, sad to say. Once windows are broken, entry is gained, and the place is open to the weather, especially harsh Detroit weather, it doesn't take long... BP
    Last edited by BobPalma; 07-23-2012, 07:44 PM. Reason: forgot to answer lobby question
    We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

Ayn Rand:
    "You can avoid reality, but you cannot avoid the consequences of avoiding reality."

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Comment

Originally posted by BobPalma View Post
      Before entering, yes, Gary...but while inside, you're best advised to wear it due to potentially-falling particles of who-knows-what!
      I would want more than just a ball cap if I was concerned about what may fall a person in there!!! And maybe a bulletproof vest too!

Craig

Comment

Originally posted by 8E45E View Post
        I would want more than just a ball cap if I was concerned about what may fall a person in there! And maybe a bulletproof vest too! Craig
        'Not a bad idea either way, Craig... BP
        We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

Ayn Rand:
        "You can avoid reality, but you cannot avoid the consequences of avoiding reality."

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Comment

This is a link to some great before and after pictures:

http://detroiturbex.com/content/indu...ard/index.html

Comment

Thanks, Michael, for posting that link. I'd seen it before but forgot where it was.

Good comparisons. BP

Ayn Rand:

Comment

I have had a keen interest in Packards ever since, as a kid, I brought home a library book entitled "OK FOR DRIVE AWAY", and read it cover to cover. So much so that I found it on e-bay & bought it. Now Bob has posted the winter 2009 issue of The Packard Cormorant that I had to have that too. It just arrived & is the best description of what the plant was & how it is today. It will take me awhile to digest all its info. Thanks again to Bob & all that have kept the interest here alive.
              59 Lark wagon, now V-8, H.D. auto!
              60 Lark convertible V-8 auto
              61 Champ 1/2 ton 4 speed
              62 Champ 3/4 ton 5 speed o/drive
              62 Champ 3/4 ton auto
              62 Daytona convertible V-8 4 speed & 62 Cruiser, auto.
              63 G.T. Hawk R-2,4 speed
              63 Avanti (2) R-1 auto
              64 Zip Van
              66 Daytona Sport Sedan(327)V-8 4 speed
              66 Cruiser V-8 auto

Comment

Originally posted by Warren Webb View Post
                I have had a keen interest in Packards ever since, as a kid, I brought home a library book entitled "OK FOR DRIVE AWAY", and read it cover to cover. So much so that I found it on e-bay & bought it. Now Bob has posted the winter 2009 issue of The Packard Cormorant that I had to have that too. It just arrived & is the best description of what the plant was & how it is today. It will take me awhile to digest all its info. Thanks again to Bob & all that have kept the interest here alive.
                You're welcome, Warren.

'Better have a box of Kleenex at the ready when you read John F. MacArthur's excellent article on Pages 28-34, Warren. Especially Page 34.

I still choke up reading it and it's been here almost three years. BP

Ayn Rand:

Comment

Does anyone know which entrance this was? I think the site said new employee training?

Did they saved more than one? Somebody wrote that this one went to the museum in Ohio. I think that's the one Bob was standing by.
                  Last edited by Bordeaux Daytona; 07-26-2012, 07:42 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Bordeaux Daytona View Post
                    Does anyone know which entrance this was? I think the site said new employee training?

Did they saved more than one? Somebody wrote that this one went to the museum in Ohio. I think that's the one Bob was standing by.
                    That is correct, John; there were two similar entrances "saved."

As you say, I believe the lower one, where I was photographed standing, went to The Packard Museum in Warren, Ohio.

The other one, the one with columns and identified as The Employee Entrance, went to the Packard Motor Car Foundation Packard Proving Ground preservation site at Shelby Township Michigan.

Here is the inside rear cover of the Winter 2009 Packard Cormorant, with the particulars:

BP

Ayn Rand:

Comment

Thanks you so much for posting all the pics. To those who have never been there , it is the world's largest abandoned Industrial site. While on vacation Lark VIII girl and I toured the Packard plant perimiter, She Still talks of me taking her there on her vacation!

Husband of Lark VIII girl.

Comment

Sad pictures of what was once a beautiful buildings. But we have heard that story before haven't we?
                        Joe Roberts
                        '61 R1 Champ
                        '65 Cruiser
                        Eastern North Carolina Chapter

Comment

I see Eastman listed as New York Distributer. Eastman was a very prominent name in NY in the late-1800s-early-1900s with things like Eastman-Kodak in Rochester and Eastman Business School in Poughkeepsie (brothers). I wonder if the NY Packard Eastman was related to these businessmen.
                          Gary L.
                          Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
                          Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

I can never figure out why Packard, with a facility of this magnitude, had to subcontract out their body production.

Comment

Thanks Bob, for sharing these fine photos of fallen history.
                              JimsLeadCommander

Comment

Originally posted by JimsLeadCommander View Post
                                Thanks Bob, for sharing these fine photos of fallen history.
                                You're welcome, Jim; 'glad you enjoyed them.

As I said, that day was the #1 item on my bucket list! BP

Ayn Rand:

Comment

Working...
                                X