Harold Churchill and family

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Harold Churchill and family

So we were over at my friend Murray's last night for a cookout on the south side of Indianapolis. Murray grew up in the LaPaz-Lakeville area, which is just south of South Bend. He's attending his 35th High School Reunion this coming weekend. Christine and I have known Murray and his wife for years. Anyway, Murray says he wonders if Cindy Churchill will attend the reunion. Stated she was one of several children of Harold Churchill. Turns out his father had done work for Mr. Churchill several times and the Churchills had even visited Murray's family at their home. Murray had also gone with his father to the Churchill home. He remembered them living somewhere in southern St. Joe county.The Churchills had adopted several children. One of Mr. Churchill's rules was that the children could only go in or out of the house three times a day! This prevented kids running in and out constantly! Bottom line is Murray remembered all the Churchills as great folks. Dan

To: ivorydan,------I guess Studebaker would have been 'all done' after '58 if it wasn't for that Guy.

Comment

The real estate agent that helped us buy this house in 1990 went to school with some of the Churchill children and knew the family well. She mentioned it when we met her out shopping and she saw my wife driving the Lark last year. Harold Churchill was a "gentleman farmer" and did have a farm in Northern Marshall County or Southern St. Joe County. He used his farm and also hunted and fished as an escape from his day job. It seems, he blended in well around here.

Comment

I visited Mr. Churchill at his farm back in the early 70s. Interviewed him on my old reel to reel recorder. There is a book in the works about him by Robert Ebert. I have supplied numerous photos. It should be very good as Mr. Ebert is meticulous about his research.

The 3 times a day rule must have been hell to enforce. Wonder if there was a sign in/sign out sheet next to each door?
        Richard Quinn
        Editor emeritus: Antique Studebaker Review

Comment

To: Studebaker Wheel,-------WHEN WILL THE BOOK BE PUBLISHED?.........AND WHERE DO I SEND MY CHECK? Thanks Q.

Comment

Originally posted by SN-60 View Post
            To: Studebaker Wheel,-------WHEN WILL THE BOOK BE PUBLISHED?.........AND WHERE DO I SEND MY CHECK? Thanks Q.
            I will check with Mr. Ebert and get back to you.
            Richard Quinn

Comment

I only spoke with "Church" a few times (mostly listened). He not only impressed me with what he did for Studebaker, but also what a nice gentleman he was.
              Gary L.
              Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
              Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

Originally posted by studegary View Post
                I only spoke with "Church" a few times (mostly listened). He not only impressed me with what he did for Studebaker, but also what a nice gentleman he was.
                How right you are Gary, he was a perfect gentleman. I had the distinct honour of participating with Harold Churchhill at a seminar at the 1978 International Meet in South Bend, something I will never forget.
                Stu Chapman

Comment

Yes, will concur re the positive comments about Mr. Churchill. I wonder if someone has a audio tape of that '78 seminar. I was there and I remember someone taping it.
                  Richard Quinn

Comment

Working...
                  X