Room available at Host hotel - Doubletree

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Room available at Host hotel - Doubletree

I have one too many rooms at the Doubletree for the national meet.

Before I cancel it outright, I wondered if any forum member is interested and I can transfer it to you. You would still get the $115.00 Stude club rate that way. The room is reserved from Monday (check in day) to Saturday (check out day).

PM me with your phone number if interested and I will call you. Thanks jeff

Just bumping this up. I will probably cancel the room tonight.

Comment

STUDEFAN
      just sent PM for 2nd time if you dont get PLEASE call me JIM 972-989-6481
      THANKS
      JIM

Comment

Jim, only one PM just showed up. PMs are being finicky again I suppose. I'll call you shortly. Jeff

Comment

Originally posted by studefan View Post
          I have one too many rooms at the Doubletree for the national meet.

Before I cancel it outright, I wondered if any forum member is interested and I can transfer it to you. You would still get the $115.00 Stude club rate that way. The room is reserved from Monday (check in day) to Saturday (check out day).

PM me with your phone number if interested and I will call you. Thanks jeff
          Jeff, hope your dad didn't decide not to come. He OK?
          Paul Johnson, Wild and Wonderful West Virginia.
          '64 Daytona Wagonaire, '64 Avanti R-1, Museum R-4 engine, '72 Gravely Model 430 with Onan engine

Comment

Jim, the room is yours. Give em a call. They have your information.

Paul, dad, who is almost 88 years old, is still coming thankfully. I had 3 rooms and only need two.

I was reading Turning Wheels about the history of the studebaker club and reflecting on our families association. TW mentioned the first national meet in 1967 in East McKeesport, PA. We went there as a family and took the 1920 Chummy roadster and the 1930 Dictator sedan. The oldest car at that show was the 1914 SD4 touring. Shortly after that meet, mom and dad bought the 1914 too. So, they had the 3 oldest cars at the 1967 show for the next 40 years (they still have the 1914 and 1930. Sold the 1920 a few years ago). I was only 5 years old at that show and can still remember the location and walking up and down the rows of Studebaker. Since the meet in 67', their Stude collection, at its peak about 5 years ago, was about 70 cars (25 nice ones and about 45 parts cars). He had one of the best Stude collections on the east coast IMO and not many knew the extant of the collection as they tended to keep it to themselves. Dad hasn't felt well enough to attend many events in the last few years but I talked him into attending South Bend this year. This will likely be his last national meet, 45 years after his first. It has been a great ride.

Comment

Jeff - Just think, your 1920 car in 1967 was like a 1965 car in 2012.
              It is hard to relate to. In 1972, I drove my 1963 Daytona Wagonaire to South Bend. It was a nine year old car then. We don't own a car that new now.
              He probably "...had one of the best Stude collections on the east coast...", but I can think of a couple of others right off.
              Gary L.
              Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
              Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

Gary, I was also thinking that in 1967, a 1964 Stude was only 3 years old!

I know many people have many Studes and there are other nice collections out there. I said, "one" of the best collections. I can think of "others right off" too. Anyway, here's a few of the parents cars that come to mind (not a complete list):
                1914 touring
                1920 chummy roadster
                1925 duplex phaeton
                1928 dictator opera coupe
                1930 dictator sedan
                1931 president
                1932 st regis broughram
                1935 commander land cruiser
                1939 commander
                1941 president land cruiser
                1947 M Series fire truck (11K miles)
                1949 champion convertible
                1950 starlight coupe
                1953 champion coupe
                1953 Studillac
                1954 champion coupe (24k miles)
                1955 speedster
                1957 silver hawk (bought new and still has it)
                1958 factory 4x4 truck
                1960 lark (10K miles)
                1962 Hawk (bought new and still has it, 43K miles)
                1963 avanti
                1967 avanti
                Two studebaker powered midget dirt track racers
                and more.

My brother and I have the bug also and have another eight more fun studes between us. This stuff was bought over time in the 60s and 70s as we scraped up the pennies to acquire another. No Gatorade fortunes then and none now. Just somehow finding a way to bring one home, a car at a time.
                Last edited by studefan; 07-22-2012, 08:09 PM.

Comment

[QUOTE=studefan;664437] (25 nice ones and about 45 parts cars).

Hey Jeff, is my old former Senior 1st Award winning 63 Daytona Hardtop still among the latter?
                  Jim
                  I was STUDEBAKER, when STUDEBAKER wasn't "KOOL".

Comment

Jim, yes, that car is still with us. I didn't include it in the list above since that's in my pile and not the parents. Cosmetically it looks nothing like it did when you gave it a stunning restoration. But, it still runs pretty good and is solid as a rock. Wasn't that car one of your first restorations? You did a great job.

I have been wanting for some time to get a picture of the radiator that has a huge gash in it from the battery slipping down off the tray into the fan blade as the car was idling. My dad, in his 80s mind you, thought he was doing me a favor by dropping in a battery to start and exercise the car for a few minutes. You guessed it. NO BATTERY HOLDDOWN !!!!!!!!!!!! The radiator, fan blade, and battery are toast! Bob Palma and the forum jokes about this but I can tell you it happens and its not pretty.

Comment

Yep, that was my 1st attempt at restoration, a looooooong time ago. Would love to see a picture of it now if you ever get the chance. OUCH, too bad about the rad.
                      Jim
                      I was STUDEBAKER, when STUDEBAKER wasn't "KOOL".

Comment

Working...
                      X