No announcement yet.

Calling webmasters for local SDC chapters

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I still do some volunteer webmaster duties... for my chapter and the Studebaker National Foundation.

www.northstarwheel.com
    www.studebakernationalfoundation.org

My personal top 5 rules are:

1. Keep it current...daily updating if needed
    2. Make navigation clear and easy to follow
    3. Make is easily readable (avoid colored text on a black/dark background, please, and don't use every font on your computer...pick one or two and be consistent).
    4. Build it for chapter members BUT write it to attract and welcome new people that may buy a Studebaker (with your site's encouragement) and then become a chapter member.
    5. Promote the site every way you can...get the url added to chapter listings on car websites, etc.

A number of years back I created a "website 101" sheet for use at an IM editors session. If I can find that I will email it to you. No fabulous insights in it it but may be of some help.
    sigpic
    Bob Shaw
    Rush City, Minnesota
    1960 Hawk - www.northstarstudebakers.com
    "The farther I go, the behinder I get."

Comment

I have a problem with Facebook over a website. I personally do not have a Facebook account because I just do not want my business out for all to see. I just do not trust such social media sites. I do not think I am alone with this. Since there are many folks in this boat, putting a chapter's stuff only on Facebook seems to miss a good portion of members.
      Joe Roberts
      '61 R1 Champ
      '65 Cruiser
      Eastern North Carolina Chapter

Comment

Atlantic Canada Chapter Website

Hi
        I manage the website for our club.
        It is at www.kgworks.ca/acc

Graham
        www.kgworks.ca/studeparts

Comment

The Big 6 River Bend chapter has a website... www.big6sdc.com which I built and maintain. The cost involved was obtaining our URL (or address on the web) and I did that using GoDaddy.com. They hosted our old site (another charge) which I had set up with Microsoft FRONT PAGE (which Mr. Gates deemed not in the "scheme of things" and is no longer supported). I have now built our site on www.wix.com, which advertized "FREE websites". I guess it is free if you used their assigned URL which could be a loooong one and not really related to the SDC that I am aiming for. I had a little trouble getting it on line; but I can now up date it from any computer anywhere with my password and need no special softqware in my computer.
          So we now pay annual fees to GoDaddy and WIX to keep our site up. I believed it gained us a couple members over the years... BUT it has generated interest and when one of our members destroyed his GT Hawk (and he was in really bad shape [his Grandmother perished in the accident]) we had a record number of hits as I kept daily updates on his condition.
          Our chapter has a Facebook page as well; but I don't really know if it is helpful or not... another chapter member keeps that updated (I do not use Facebook myself).
          Our chapter emails monthly newsletters to members who want it & snail mail to the rest.
          I update our site monthly (at a minimum) and beileve that is one of my more important jobs in the chapter. As said before YOU HAVE TO KEEP IT UP-TO-DATE or it ends up being a detroment to the chapter.
          Another hint... Make sure there is someone else in the chapter with access to the password and can take over if something happens to you!
          Good Luck!

Comment

JIm
            I have sent a private message.
            This has been an intersting discussion thta ahs shown the different approach and problems of the chapter websites

Studebakerchile

Comment

I am the webmaster for:http://www.studebakerdrivers.net
              The website for the Wasatch mountain Chapter in Salt Lake City, Utah
              Fred

sigpic

Comment

While I do not have the tech ability to offer any assistance on websites there is certainly a variety of them available to view. Some clubs...not necessarily SDC chapters establish sites and leave them unattended. It is not good promotion for a club to have a website that has its last update in 2011! A stale website is not a positive promotion of a chapter. If a chapter is going to create one it is an excellent idea, but give it the followup and attention it needs to be a positive influence on prospective and current members. I think a chapter is better off without one if it isn't adequately maintained. As mentioned, it can be an economic method for the distribution of newsletters, also.
                "Growing old is mandatory, but growing up is optional." author unknown

Comment

Fred,

I have a short survey I'll send to you by PM. Any insight from your experience will be a big help.

Bob,

Thanks for the input. I want ideas from webmasters and average visitors alike, so it's a big help. I COMPLETELY agree that maintaining a website is hugely important. I used to get paid for doing website development, and that was the biggest part of the job. Of course, updating sites back then meant actually manually editing webpages, which was a lot of work, but we did it. With as easy as it is to update a site today, there's really no excuse for a website to sit outdated for months or years.
                  '63 Lark Custom, 259 v8, auto, child seat

"Your friendly neighborhood Studebaker evangelist"

Comment

Actually I'm not the SDC webmaster, just the admin for this Forum. I did put together the San Diego Chapter website, but have since handed it off to Doug Neilson. Let me know if you'd like to have his contact info.

Clark in San Diego | '63 Standard (F2) "Barney" | http://studeblogger.blogspot.com

Comment

Working...
                    X