Body color under top paint?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by SN-60 View Post
    To: studegary,----You could be right about this, I don't know, but I always thought the bumper bolts should be oval all the way around. By the way....I love the looks of this car, and would be proud to own it!
    Now you have me questioning my memory.
    Original 1953s that I disassembled in the 1960s, including one that I knew from new, had the round bolts at the end of the rear bumper.
    It is hard to tell in most factory pictures, but they look round to me, except for when the accessory bumper ends are installed, then rectangular bolts appear to be used.
    I don't have an original 1953 parts book handy. What does that specify?
    At least by the time that Hawks came out, rectangular head bolts were used for all positions. Maybe the round head bolts was a short lived thing in 1953, or only used for the 1953-1954 style bumpers.
    I would also be proud to own this car as it is.
    Gary L.
    Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
    Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

I was of the mind that the bumper bolts on 53-54 were oval all the way around, and when 55s came out the ends had the round?
      Bez Auto Alchemy
      573-318-8948
      http://bezautoalchemy.com

"Don't believe every internet quote" Abe Lincoln

Comment

To: bezhawk,----------I remember this question being kicked around over the last 40 years with no one really ever sure. By the way, I have 'round' head bumper bolts on the four corners of my '55 Speedster, and I've
        always thought they were 'incorrect' but just LOOK better! (To Me)

Comment

According to the May 1, 1954 Chassis Parts Catalog, the rear bumper calls for 4 bolts, number 524972.

So they should all be the same (whatever 524972 is. . .)
          Dave Nevin
          Corvallis, OR
          1953 Champion Deluxe Coupe
          Stud-e-venture blog

Comment

Originally posted by dnevin View Post
            According to the May 1, 1954 Chassis Parts Catalog, the rear bumper calls for 4 bolts, number 524972.

So they should all be the same (whatever 524972 is. . .)
            That sounds pretty definitive for late-1954 models. I still wonder what is in an early-1953 model year (1952) parts book.
            Gary L.
            Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
            Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

Originally posted by studegary View Post
              That sounds pretty definitive for late-1954 models. I still wonder what is in an early-1953 model year (1952) parts book.
              The May 1, 1954 Chassis Parts Catalog covers years 1951 through 1954. The bolt with the part number 524972 covers models 10G to 15G,H, 4H to 5H. Same bolt is called for on the front.

Could it be that the bolt changed and was supplemented by this one? I'd think there'd be a note if that were the case.
              Dave Nevin
              Corvallis, OR
              1953 Champion Deluxe Coupe
              Stud-e-venture blog

Comment

Working...
              X