Body color under top paint?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Body color under top paint?

This is a curiosity more than anything else--I tried a search and wasn't successful, so here goes...

I took a razor blade scraper to the top of the 53 C yesterday and noticed there were 3 distinct colors of paint on it: the wrong color of maui blue (actually a sky blue,) a layer or two of the correct tint of maui blue, then, right above the primer, a layer of ivory mist, which is the body color.

So my question is, did the factory paint the two tone cars body color first, over the entire body, then shoot the top color over that? Seems like a waste of paint if they did, but then again, it might be cheap enough to do. Or am I looking at different paint jobs over the years by previous owners, with someone having decided to paint it a solid color (ivory mist) at some point in time?

No build sheet was available for the car, so I have no idea what it was originally; it did have a paint code card behind the glove box indicating ivory mist/maui blue but that could have been placed there at a later time.

Thanks in advance. Again, this doesn't really matter--I'm just curious.
    Dave Nevin
    Corvallis, OR
    1953 Champion Deluxe Coupe
    Stud-e-venture blog

Could it be that all cars were painted the main body color, then some were two toned?
    Don Wilson, Centralia, WA

40 Champion 4 door*
    50 Champion 2 door*
    53 Commander K Auto*
    53 Commander K overdrive*
    55 President Speedster
    62 GT 4Speed*
    63 Avanti R1*
    64 Champ 1/2 ton

* Formerly owned

Comment

My '53 K had original paint when I restored it. There were some ripples/dents in the roof (after popping out a big one) requiring me to strip it down to the bare steel. Under the lombard (dark) green was a layer of the chippewa (light) green and then the grey primer. I dunno if the thickness of the primary color matched the rest of the car or it was more a "overspray" since it was going to get painted over or not.

Jeff in ND

Comment

It would make sence for the factory to do that only have to mask the car one time that way.

Comment

Yes that is right, I have seen quite a few two tones that the roof faded, wore through, to the lower body color.
          StudeRich
          Second Generation Stude Driver,
          Proud '54 Starliner Owner

Comment

Thanks all--that makes sense.
            Dave Nevin
            Corvallis, OR
            Stud-e-venture blog

Comment

I agree with the above statements, but also, many cars of that era were built/shipped in monotone and two-toned at the dealership.

I am not sure about what you refer to as "a paint code card behind the glove box". The factory color label for that model would have been paper, not card stock, and glued to the bottom of the glove box. It sounds like something that was put there after initial build.
              Gary L.
              Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
              Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

Gary,

Here's what I found taped to the bottom/back of the glovebox.

Click image for larger version

Name:	photo-4.JPG
Views:	1
Size:	22.5 KB
ID:	1674870

The tape was old. Without the build sheet (which wasn't available) I'll never know for sure if it is the correct one or a fake.
                Dave Nevin
                Corvallis, OR
                Stud-e-venture blog

Comment

Originally posted by dnevin View Post
                  Gary,

Here's what I found taped to the bottom/back of the glovebox. The tape was old. Without the build sheet (which wasn't available) I'll never know for sure if it is the correct one or a fake.
                  That tag DOES answer your question, as it would have been applied at the factory.

Craig

Comment

Gary,

Here's what I found taped to the bottom/back of the glovebox.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]16376[/ATTACH]

The tape was old. Without the build sheet (which wasn't available) I'll never know for sure if it is the correct one or a fake.
                    That does look like the original paint code label that had been reattached at some point. If we assume that that label was originally on your car (probably was), then your car was a factory two-tone.

Was your car built in Vernon (LA)? They did some things different from SB during that period. If you don't know, post, at least the first few digits of, your Serial Number and we will tell you where it was built.
                    Gary L.
                    Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968

Comment

It was a Vernon car. G925919

Thanks Gary, Craig.
                      Dave Nevin
                      Corvallis, OR
                      Stud-e-venture blog

Comment

It was a Vernon car. G925919

Thanks Gary, Craig.
                        I agree, it is a Vernon built 1953 Champion. One difference is that all 1953 Starliners built in Vernon had the C-pillar script (paint line), but only two-tone Starliners built in South Bend had this trim. Another difference is that Vernon cars continued to use tri-star emblems to the end of the model year, long after South Bend discontinued them.
                        Gary L.
                        Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968

Comment

Thanks Gary. I knew about the tri-star emblems (which my car has) but didn't know that even the solid color Starliners had the C-pillar script.
                          Dave Nevin
                          Corvallis, OR
                          Stud-e-venture blog

Comment

Originally posted by 8E45E View Post
                            That tag DOES answer your question, as it would have been applied at the factory.

Craig
                            Craig, where was that photo taken? That '53 is one of Steve Cade's cars. I'd almost bet that the Lemon Lime Speedster is his too.

Comment

To hijack my own thread, I've seen all sort of different shades of "maui blue" on a 53. Is the photo Craig posted a good representation of the color of that year?
                              Dave Nevin
                              Corvallis, OR
                              Stud-e-venture blog

Comment

Working...
                              X