3 Out Of Four Ain't Bad

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 3 Out Of Four Ain't Bad

Ellen and I visited the RAF base at Duxford in the UK last week. There were two B-17's one that was privately owned, and another owned by the Gov't. Although in "flying" condition, they are not allowed to fly them.

Just for the heck of it I checked the engines. Three of the four were Studebaker built.

The privately owned B-17 had covers over the nacells and there was no way I could get photos, plus there is no way I could post on this board the nose art.

The "Texas Raider", a B-17 that belongs to the Lone Star Flight Museum in Galveston, Texas has 3 Studebakers, and 1 Pratt and Whitney engine. They were starting them the other day, and the 3 Studes fired right up. The Pratt and Whitney cranked and cranked and finally sputtered to life. I made sure everyone there knew the Studes fired right up.

Comment

The "Texas Raider", a B-17 that belongs to the Lone Star Flight Museum in Galveston, Texas has 3 Studebakers, and 1 Pratt and Whitney engine. They were starting them the other day, and the 3 Studes fired right up. The Pratt and Whitney cranked and cranked and finally sputtered to life. I made sure everyone there knew the Studes fired right up.

Comment

quote:Originally posted by Chucks Stude

I'll bet the Studes leaked more oil than the Pratt [)]

Dick Steinkamp
        Bellingham, WA

Comment

I'll bet the Studes leaked more oil than the Pratt [)]

Dick Steinkamp
          Bellingham, WA

Comment

You only go for sure bets Dick.

Comment

You only go for sure bets Dick.

Comment

On the other hand, I took a ride in Sentimental Journey and the Studebaker engine took forever to fire up. At one point they thought they would have to cancel the flight.

BG

Comment

On the other hand, I took a ride in Sentimental Journey and the Studebaker engine took forever to fire up. At one point they thought they would have to cancel the flight.

BG

Comment

Sentimental Journey based in Mesa AZ. has 2 Stude and 2 Wright Cyclone engines and they all leaked about the same amount of oil
                    I got to crawl through that aircraft last February.

quote:Originally posted by bondobilly

BG
                    Frank van Doorn
                    Omaha, Ne.
                    1962 GT Hawk 289 4 speed
                    1941 Champion streetrod, R-2 Powered, GM 200-4R trans.
                    1952 V-8 232 Commander State "Starliner" hardtop OD

Comment

Sentimental Journey based in Mesa AZ. has 2 Stude and 2 Wright Cyclone engines and they all leaked about the same amount of oil
                      I got to crawl through that aircraft last February.

quote:Originally posted by bondobilly

BG
                      Frank van Doorn
                      Omaha, Ne.
                      1962 GT Hawk 289 4 speed
                      1941 Champion streetrod, R-2 Powered, GM 200-4R trans.
                      1952 V-8 232 Commander State "Starliner" hardtop OD

Comment

Sentimental Journey was here at the Visalia airport a few months ago (sort of an annual ocurrance). Several times duing it's tenure here, I witnessed it flying over our place. I swear, from the sound of them, I could discern which engines were Studebaker and which were SBCs.

Miscreant adrift in
                        the BerStuda Triangle

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
                        1960 Larkvertible V8
                        1958 Provincial wagon
                        1953 Commander coupe

No deceptive flags to prove I'm patriotic - no biblical BS to impress - just ME and Studebakers - as it should be.

Comment

Sentimental Journey was here at the Visalia airport a few months ago (sort of an annual ocurrance). Several times duing it's tenure here, I witnessed it flying over our place. I swear, from the sound of them, I could discern which engines were Studebaker and which were SBCs.

Miscreant adrift in
                          the BerStuda Triangle

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
                          1960 Larkvertible V8
                          1958 Provincial wagon
                          1953 Commander coupe

No deceptive flags to prove I'm patriotic - no biblical BS to impress - just ME and Studebakers - as it should be.

Comment

I was parked about 75 feet behind one of these things when they fired up the engines, and had to deal with a nice coating of oil all over the car.
                            My dad was a bombadier on a B-24. He told me that on long flights over the Pacific, that they would have to shut down engines because they ran out of oil. I think they had a 24 gallon oil tank per engine.
                            That was bad enough. The turbo/superchargers on the bottom of the engine would glow cherry red, and at night the japanese would see the superchargers, and shoot them down.

Comment

I was parked about 75 feet behind one of these things when they fired up the engines, and had to deal with a nice coating of oil all over the car.
                              My dad was a bombadier on a B-24. He told me that on long flights over the Pacific, that they would have to shut down engines because they ran out of oil. I think they had a 24 gallon oil tank per engine.
                              That was bad enough. The turbo/superchargers on the bottom of the engine would glow cherry red, and at night the japanese would see the superchargers, and shoot them down.

Comment

Working...
                              X