1962 Lark $1,800

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Bob Andrews View Post
    Pierce, your most recent posts here seem a little snarky. That's not the case, is it? Because if it is, that would be disappointing. Some of us put a lot of effort trying to help you understand the situation and what best to do at this point. You don't seem to have taken one bit of the advice given you- for free- from experienced people. That includes the 'flat-bed' picture, which you claimed you were going to fix.

So you've listed a low-popularity, modified car, poorly presented, a few times now, with the same results repeated. People responded only because you said you were "perplexed as to why it won't sell". You got your answers from knowledgeable people. It appears you didn't like the reality check. You mentioned a '61 CL car. Do you think that example makes your price look more or less realistic? How about a link?

I hope you find the car a good home, at a price you will accept. I fear the all-too-common result we've seen in these situations- seller won't come down but won't continue with the car, instead letting it sink into a back lawn and rot away and get vandalized, eventually getting crushed.

Best to you, and that poor old Lark.
    Snarky post? If I came across that way, I apologize. Note when I post off my Android cell; I tend to be cut and dried because it's a PITA to type more than a sentence or two.

Re: deleting the 'flatbed' pic; for some reason eBay won't let me.

That 1961 Lark; no link handy anymore, it was on the Phx CraigsList for months at the same '$1850' price and even I took a look at it but decided to pass, this was about a year ago. Note it was a complete and running car but needed tires and some other work, brakes(?).

If the car won't sell, unsure what my next move will be to be honest.
    --------------------------------------

Sold my 1962; Studeless at the moment

Borrowed Bams50's sigline here:

"Do they all not, by mere virtue of having survived as relics of a bygone era, amass a level of respect perhaps not accorded to them when they were new?"

Comment

Pierce, the car will sell; everything is worth something.

As you've seen from "all the above," how much it sells for will largely depend on your committment to preparing and marketing it, per the many excellent, heartfelt suggestions that have been tendered.

So it's just a question of how much it will sell for. At today's scrap prices, it might bring $400, so it can be sold. You have control over how much more than scrap price you receive, based on how much time and effort (and precious little money) you're willing to invest in the project. BP
      We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

Ayn Rand:
      "You can avoid reality, but you cannot avoid the consequences of avoiding reality."

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Comment

Originally posted by 1962larksedan View Post
        Snarky post? If I came across that way, I apologize. Note when I post off my Android cell; I tend to be cut and dried because it's a PITA to type more than a sentence or two.
        Great, no problem. Good luck!
        Proud NON-CASO

I do not prize the word "cheap." It is not a badge of honor...it is a symbol of despair. ~ William McKinley

If it is decreed that I should go down, then let me go down linked with the truth - let me die in the advocacy of what is just and right.- Lincoln

GOD BLESS AMERICA

Ephesians 6:10-17
        Romans 15:13
        Deuteronomy 31:6
        Proverbs 28:1

Illegitimi non carborundum

Comment

Paint the wheels so that they dont look like cheap junk yard throw aways. That will improve the look of the car Ten-Fold. That is just my $0.02. If the car was closer and I had the coin, I would put in the garage (oh and if my wife was cool with it lol)
          Last edited by cultural infidel; 07-19-2012, 07:11 AM.
          1960 Lark VIII Regal Wagon

Comment

Clean her up a bit and drive it around , park it here and there and some yuppie will see it and go "ooooooo" i must have this " how much " .
            And you yell " SOLD " . . .

Comment

dude... just bite the bullet, end the auction and relist with a proper presentation. I wouldn't even give you as much as the current bid with that auction. Not trying to be mean, just honest.
              Home of the famous Mr. Ed!
              K.I.S.S. Keep It Simple Studebaker!
              Ron Smith
              Where the heck is Fawn Lodge, CA?

Comment

I notice that there are only two bidders (seven bids) on it.
                Gary L.
                Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
                Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

How can I say this tactfully: I'm really starting to see the 'CASO' attitude that Stude fans are known for and not just here on the Forum.
                  --------------------------------------

Sold my 1962; Studeless at the moment

Borrowed Bams50's sigline here:

"Do they all not, by mere virtue of having survived as relics of a bygone era, amass a level of respect perhaps not accorded to them when they were new?"

Comment

Pierce, I haven't responded yet so please allow me to share my independent recommendation. You would do MUCH better with your ebay auction if you clean out the trunk, take the tube, rags, and boxes out of the interior, wash and vacuum the car, then take new pictures in a grassy area. Everything I described should take you about an hour and the car would be much more appealing to a potential buyer.

Comment

Originally posted by 1962larksedan View Post
                      How can I say this tactfully: I'm really starting to see the 'CASO' attitude that Stude fans are known for and not just here on the Forum.
                      I'm not a CASO, so Why is my tongue bleeding?
                      sigpic
                      Dave Lester

Comment

Originally posted by Studedude View Post
                        I'm not a CASO, so Why is my tongue bleeding?
                        Mine's bleeding too! Maybe because we're biting down so hard?

How can I say this tactfully: It isn't anyone's fault but your own for your car not bringing more than parts car money. We all tried to help you, and you didn't use any of our advice, or even say thanks. I don't think you have the right to insult us, when we all tried to help you make more money, with nothing to gain for ourselves.

Sell the car for the high bid as you present it, clean it up and watch it sell for more, or keep it and enjoy it. Just don't blame us for your own lack of motivation. We tried to help. It isn't our fault that you don't want to help yourself.

Comment

Pierce,

First off, I hope nothing I've said (or will say) has offended you. I really want the best for you and this sale. Hopefully nothing I've said came across as anything but trying to help you get what this car is worth.

At the same time, I'm scratching my head. It seems like you haven't heard the recommendations of everyone here. Could you maybe rephrase what you think we've all been advising you to do? Maybe there's just a simple miscommunication.

Let me see if I can put what I'm saying into pictures. For example, look at this one:

If you were looking to hire an investment banker and these guys were your options, would you hire the man on the left or the one on the right? Maybe you have different standards than I, and maybe I'm just being superficial, but I don't care if that guy on the right went to Harvard and had the diploma in his shopping cart to prove it, I wouldn't hire him. Why? Because he looks like a homeless person.

The interesting thing is that those two people are the same person. One is how he looks cleaned up, and the other is how he looks dressed as a homeless person.

The point that I'm getting at is how you present yourself (or your car) matters!

I don't want to sound rude here, and I sincerely hope this only comes across as constructive, but the photos of your car make it look like crap. Absolute crap. It looks like it either just came from a scrapyard, or it's on it's way there. If I were to ask 100 passerby's if that car ran, based on the pictures, I would bet you that almost every one of them would say that they didn't think it did. It's not a matter of your skills as a photographer, or the type of camera. The reason the car looks like crap is because it's filthy, full of garbage, and chained to the kind of vehicle that takes dead cars to the graveyard. Everything about the car just looks like crap. Plain and simple.

The thing is this: what you know, and what those of us on this forum know, is that you have a diamond in the rough there. With a little bit of cleaning, a few minor updates, you could very easily make close to or maybe more than the $3000 you initially were asking. At the least, you should hit your $1800 without a problem. For some reason, you are ignoring our suggestions to do just this, and I am very confused why.

Here's the bottom line. If you want the car to sell, follow these instructions:

1. End your current ebay listing, and take down any craigslist ads that are running.

2. Take EVERYTHING that isn't attached to the car out of the car. Empty the seats. Empty the trunk. There should be nothing in the car, but the car.

3. CLEAN the car thoroughly. Scrub the interior. wash out the trunk. Go to one of those coin op carwashes that has an engine cleaning setting, and clean the grease and dirt from the engine compartment. If you have carpets/cloth interior parts borrow or rent a portable carpet cleaner (I rented one once for $20). Clean everything until you can't get it cleaner.

4. Do some refreshing work. Rattle can paint your wheels so they don't look like their last journey was through a junkyard. (If you want to appeal to the modified/rod market, black or red are popular wheel colors.) If you can find a color of paint from a rattle can that matches your car semi-closely (even if it's a few shades off), buy the paint and repaint at least the sunburnt tops of your fenders/hood. Otherwise, buff & wax the car, to make it look as good as you can. Polish anything you can. Find something to cover up the radio delete space, even if it's a piece of steel that you grind/cut to fit.

5. Clean up any parts that may come with the vehicle. If there are spare parts, clean them up so they look nice. This goes for that original gauge you had to replace.

6. STAGING.
                          a. Staging the parts - Lay out all the spare parts on the concrete so they look presentable. Make them look good. THEY SHOULD NOT BE IN THE CAR!!!
                          b. Staging the car - For the car, drive it someplace cool. Examples: near a bridge over water, by a mural on the side of a building, in front of a landmark, an old diner or someplace that fits the car's era, etc...

7. Take NEW pictures. (Start by deleting those old ones forever!)
                          a. Pics of the parts - Get some shots of all the parts together. Then get close ups of the most important things you have (especially parts that are harder to find, if you have any.)
                          b. Pics of the car - don't be afraid to spend an hour photographing. The best time for outdoor shots is either the first hour and change after sunrise, or the last hour or so before sunset, so plan accordingly. Don't take "flat" pics of just one side of the car. standing at the corner of the front bumper, walk diagonally from the car. When you can get the whole car in frame, shoot. Get lots and lots of pictures. Get close ups of important things. Try using low angles (from close to the ground) to make the car look mean and larger than life, or hold the camera as high as you can to get elegant overhead shots. Focus on the positive stuff with your camera. DON'T BE AFRAID OF CLOSE-UPS. You can take these pics with any camera, even a crappy disposable or a cell phone.
                          c. VIDEO. Get video of the car running, racing down the street, peeling out. Whatever. Make it clear with video that this car not only runs, but it runs AWESOMELY. I don't think I could drive your car from where you are to my home in Nebraska. If it can, prove it to me, with video.

8. Write a better ad. Ad's are brief and compelling, and make you want to see more. A list of features is nice, but nobody cares. If they want to know a page of bullet points, they can ask you. Talk positively about the car. Don't be afraid to throw an exclamation point in there somewhere! (But don't overuse it! If you do, you look crazy! Nobody buys cars from a crazy person!)

9. Post your ads. DO NOT "relist" your old ad. That ad DOES NOT WORK! You've tried it 3 times with the same result. There's a name for people who do the same thing over and over again, expecting the same results. I can't remember it right now... Use the new photos and videos. If you haven't already, delete all those old pics and deny they ever existed if you're asked.

10. Enjoy selling your car!

If you follow those steps, you car WILL sell. I'd just about guarantee it. If you talk up the Chevy motor and some of the perks (like "Never experience vapor lock, thanks to the electronic fuel injection!) it's going to sell easily. The point is, if you really want to sell the car for the maximum possible price, make it look like something that someone would want to buy.

Another point, forget about all the naysaying. Who cares if it's a Chevy Motor, really? Who cares if it's the 62 with the "greenhouse" door trim? Who cares about the fact that it's four doors? Listen to this very closely: My '63, which I love more than you know, is not as nice a car as what you have. It has a flashy paint job, but under the surface, it's got issues. There's not one part of this car that doesn't at least need something addressed. It leaks everywhere, and it's just itching to leave me on the side of the road one of these hot days. If you drive it more than 40 minutes, it starves for fuel and you walk. If you run the brights, they flash on and off. It's even a 4 door. But I bought it, and I paid significantly more than you're asking for your '62. Why? Because it looked nice. If you parked your car as it is in those photos next to my car, and you listed them at the same price, my leaky basket case would sell every time while yours sat there, because mine looks nice and has a fresh layer of wax. That's really what it comes down to. Make the car look appealing, and someone will buy it.

That's all I can really say on this topic. Follow my steps above. You will sell the car for more than you hoped. I used those basic steps myself once to sell an old Plymouth reliant. I wound up selling the car for twice what I paid for it two years prior. It was almost like getting paid to have a car.

Best of luck. I am happy to expand on what I'm saying if you need help. If you decide to completely disregard what I've said, I hope you at least make something from it. I wish I had the cash, I'd gladly take it off your hands and flip it for a fast profit.

Best of luck.
                          Last edited by JimC; 07-20-2012, 06:24 PM. Reason: Forgot a small part.
                          '63 Lark Custom, 259 v8, auto, child seat

"Your friendly neighborhood Studebaker evangelist"

Comment

I can only agree with the above. My car cost me $3000 and I took about 6 hours at Dad's home to wash, dry, polish, and vacuum the interior adding vinyl cleaner/protector. Our cars are identical apart from the rusty fenders. It will make a nice car for someone, likely not too much to do - but this demonstrates that you don't care as you have done nothing to maximize your investment. Were I in the US, I'd likely buy it - whether for parts or restotration who could say, but I'd not pay much considering the crap I'd have to remove before being able to clean it up. take note of what the guys are saying, they know what they're about.

I feel you're likely to have a lot of resentment once she's sold - you bought her, made your changes then sold her cheaply, what a shame - plenty of folks in similar circumstances I read of in Hemmings and other mags - "I put the car in the shed due to marriage,kids,work etc and 20 or so years later I began the restoration.

We wish you all the best for the future and I'm sure someone will have the right car for you when things are better.

Was talking to a refugee from Eritrea (Northern Ethiopia) last night and he said he was in a camp waiting to go to any country he could. "Australia is a good country" he said.

Point is, we all have issues but none of us can imagine living in a camp waiting to go to a safe country and begin with nothing, you'll be fine the US is a good place and the bad economic times won't last forever.
                            John Clements
                            Christchurch, New Zealand

Comment

Originally posted by mbstude View Post
                              Mine's bleeding too! Maybe because we're biting down so hard?

How can I say this tactfully: It isn't anyone's fault but your own for your car not bringing more than parts car money. We all tried to help you, and you didn't use any of our advice, or even say thanks. I don't think you have the right to insult us, when we all tried to help you make more money, with nothing to gain for ourselves.

Sell the car for the high bid as you present it, clean it up and watch it sell for more, or keep it and enjoy it. Just don't blame us for your own lack of motivation. We tried to help. It isn't our fault that you don't want to help yourself.
                              Agree. I just don't get what's REALLY going on here
                              Proud NON-CASO

I do not prize the word "cheap." It is not a badge of honor...it is a symbol of despair. ~ William McKinley

If it is decreed that I should go down, then let me go down linked with the truth - let me die in the advocacy of what is just and right.- Lincoln

GOD BLESS AMERICA

Ephesians 6:10-17
                              Romans 15:13
                              Deuteronomy 31:6
                              Proverbs 28:1

Illegitimi non carborundum

Comment

He's not a CASO, but a LAGWaSFS!

Comment

Working...
                                X