Don't Blush...Bob Palma

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Don't Blush...Bob Palma

I just realized that Bob has posted over 10,000 times. Why...TO HELP! Bob is in Turning Wheels, and here, and available by phone and internet. Hey Bob I never met you but you are like the THE AUTHORITY on a lot of things. It is greatly appreciated that you never have shyed away from "a simple question" to a complex question. You have helped me very often and never knew it.

The don't blush comment comes from another good guy Jerry Forrester who posted one time "Oh now I'm blushing " when I publicly thanked him for a good job. Hey Bob I hope you are blushing, thanks for ALL THE HELP!!!

"Dittos" Bob!!!

and i'm sure you know what i mean...
    Kerry. SDC Member #A012596W. ENCSDC member.

'51 Champion Business Coupe - (Tom's Car). Purchased 11/2012.

'40 Champion. sold 10/11. '63 Avanti R-1384. sold 12/10.

Comment

Well, what can I say? Thanks, Jim; 'glad to help and your thoughts are appreciated.

Now that I've figured out my scanner, I hope to be able to add more interesting Studebaker things in the future.

The future looks remarkably bright, you know; it says so right here...or at least it did in early 1964 in The Indianapolis News:

BP
      We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

Ayn Rand:
      "You can avoid reality, but you cannot avoid the consequences of avoiding reality."

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Comment

OH BOY! as if Bobs head isn't BIG enough already! LOL Between Bob Palma, Ted Harbit, and my old shop teacher Ron "rusty with oil Johnson, they ARE a walking encyclopedia of not just Studebaker knowledge, but Automobiles in general!

Thanks guys

Jim
        "We can't all be Heroes, Some us just need to stand on the curb and clap as they go by" Will Rogers

We will provide the curb for you to stand on and clap!

Indy Honor Flight www.IndyHonorFlight.org

As of Veterans Day 2017, IHF has flown 2,450 WWII, Korean, and Vietnam Veterans to Washington DC at NO charge! to see
        their Memorials!

Comment

That's a lovely item Bob, just a shame the Board of Directors basically knew it was a lie and they wanted out ASAP. Still, for all that, we are fortunate to have the cars from Jan 1964 to the end which otherwise would not be. Like I said once before (at least I think it was me) Gordon Grundy, Stu Chapman and all of those in the Hamilton plant are to be congratulated on the excellence of their product, what a way to go out - with a bang not a whimper. Just a shame their advertisng is so difficult to find, small budget perhaps???

We all look forward to reading BP's 20,000th post soon LOL.
          John Clements
          Christchurch, New Zealand

Comment

I was actually writing a PM to Bob thanking him for his contribution to the Stude world a few moments ago. I've been going through all my grandpa's old Turning Wheels, and it's fun to see Bob's articles with my grandpa's scribbling and notes. He's been a blessing to generations of Studebaker lovers.

Thanks Bob
            '63 Lark Custom, 259 v8, auto, child seat

"Your friendly neighborhood Studebaker evangelist"

Comment

Thanks Bob, for all you do! I don’t know how else to say it.
              Dick

Dick
              Mountain Home, AR
              http://www.livingintheozarks.com/studebaker2.htm

Comment

We'll have to get a wax model made to keep in the museum for those who won't have the opportunity to access Bob's wisdom. I recall reading about a fellow Jeremy Bentham in England who was preserved after death and placed in a display cupboard at his university. I'll meet you at Jeremy Bentham was said, can't do that to BP. Kind of thought it was bizarre but Bentham wanted it done apparently. Takes all kinds.
                John Clements
                Christchurch, New Zealand

Comment

Wait! That name--"50StarLITE"??? Have you been told off for THAT one? Man, I used "Starlite" one time and had my head chewed off. Good luck!

John

Comment

And congrats to YOU, Bob. When do you have time to work on STUDEBAKERS when you spend all your time connected to that computer?

John

Comment

Originally posted by Johnnywiffer View Post
                      And congrats to YOU, Bob. When do you have time to work on STUDEBAKERS when you spend all your time connected to that computer?

John
                      Thanks...and that's a good question, Johnny.... BP
                      We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

Ayn Rand:
                      "You can avoid reality, but you cannot avoid the consequences of avoiding reality."

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Comment

To: Bob Palma,------ALSO.....Your article in the September 'Hemmings Classic Car' was well done....Good reading....And how does one apply to the Porter Carpet Sweeper Company???

Comment

Originally posted by SN-60 View Post
                          To: Bob Palma,------ALSO.....Your article in the September 'Hemmings Classic Car' was well done....Good reading....And how does one apply to the Porter Carpet Sweeper Company???
                          Thanks, Ed.

I dunno about the Porter Carpet Sweeper Company Application Procedure, but I hope the Retirement Plan is more securely funded than the Annual Bonus Plan!

Here's another photo of Shelbyville's East Washington Street the morning of March 31, 1951.

Note the Ford dealership far left...can you imagine that little place with a two-car showroom prepping 50-odd new cars for delivery all at once?

Well, they did!

Here is the same building today, 61 years later. Compare the second-story windows and brick treatment to verify it is the same place:

I was here at Blue River Printing in late May [2012], having copies of 1951 photos made from the originals. The originals had been loaned to me by the 69-year-old daughter of Ford dealer KR Graham discussed in the article.

Sadly, her father passed away in 1970, but she had happy memories of being in this building as a youngster when it had been her father and Uncle Kermit's Ford dealership in the 1950s and 1960s.

Hey, I can relate to that! BP

Ayn Rand:

Comment

Originally posted by avantilover View Post
                            That's a lovely item Bob, just a shame the Board of Directors basically knew it was a lie and they wanted out ASAP. Still, for all that, we are fortunate to have the cars from Jan 1964 to the end which otherwise would not be. Like I said once before (at least I think it was me) Gordon Grundy, Stu Chapman and all of those in the Hamilton plant are to be congratulated on the excellence of their product, what a way to go out - with a bang not a whimper. Just a shame their advertisng is so difficult to find, small budget perhaps???

We all look forward to reading BP's 20,000th post soon LOL.
                            Thanks for the compliments John. Yes we did have a stinkingly small budget! Also, let me add my congrats to Bob Palma for his never ending source of information.
                            Stu Chapman

Comment

Originally posted by JimC View Post
                              I was actually writing a PM to Bob thanking him for his contribution to the Stude world a few moments ago. I've been going through all my grandpa's old Turning Wheels, and it's fun to see Bob's articles with my grandpa's scribbling and notes. He's been a blessing to generations of Studebaker lovers. Thanks Bob
                              Thanks for the PM, Jim; much appreciated.

You and your Grandpa had a special relationship, one that speaks to Jim Richardson's excellent writing on the last page of the September 2012 Hemmings Classic Car...one that I hope everyone reads. BP

Ayn Rand:

Comment

Working...
                              X