Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Radios in 53, 54, 55's

Just got another 54 wagon.
    This ones gonna be a daily driver, so's I need to put a modern AM/FM radio in it somehow.

Anyone know of a make/brand of somewhat modern radio that will fit without cutting up the bezel ? I know back a few years a coupla companies used to make radios that you could move the knob spacing around a little.
    I don't know if they are still available...or if the knob spindles will spread far enough..!

Any thoughts ?

Thanks

Mike

Mike:
    I can put you in touch with a shop that can convert your radio to a "remote control" for a hidden radio that will do all the "modern stuff". Your radio remains where it is and looks untouched, but operates the hidden modern radio.
    Howard - Los Angeles chapter SDC
    '53 Commander Starliner (Finally running and driving, but still in process)
    '56 Golden Hawk (3 speed/overdrive, Power steering - Running, but not yet driving)
    '62 GT Hawk (4 speed, A/C, Power steering - running and DRIVING!)

Comment

Another option is to have a stock radio converted to AM/FM with auxiliary inputs for an MP3 device or a CD player or satellite and the dash will look stock.

Here's the company that makes the kits. The dealers are on the website, too.

http://www.radiosforoldcars.com/stereoF.htm
      RadioRoy, specializing in AM/FM conversions with auxiliary inputs for iPod/satellite/CD player. In the old car radio business since 1985.

17A-S2 - 50 Commander convertible
      10G-C1 - 51 Champion starlight coupe
      10G-Q4 - 51 Champion business coupe
      4H-K5 - 53 Commander starliner hardtop
      5H-D5 - 54 Commander Conestoga wagon
      56B-D4 - 56 Commander station wagon
      60V-L6 - 60 Lark convertible

Comment

Just FYI: I think I still have a new (1970s) aftermarket universal Sanyo AM/FM/cassette with adjustable shafts still in the box. I will have to check to see how far apart the knob shafts will adjust. I have an identical one in my Avanti II, and (before I found the correct AM/FM) had it in my 64 Daytona. It fit fine in both, but those cars took a smaller radio than the 53/55. And of course, as expected, it's 12v negative ground.
        Skip Lackie

Comment

How about a stock radio block off plate and a modern radio in the glove box with a hand held remote control? Not great if you want to change CD's all the time, but fine if you listen primarily to the radio and/or an MP3 device.
          Dick Steinkamp
          Bellingham, WA

Comment

Someone here posted this company a few months back:

http://www.retrosoundusa.com/products/details/id/165

This is intended to fit in a chevy pickup but apparently will fit behind the bezel on the '53-'55 stude radio too. I suspect the original stude knobs may fit the shafts too.

Jeff in ND

Comment

For the http://www.retrosoundusa.com/products/details/id/165 product, the bezel (it's plastic) needs to be cut to fit the Stude faceplate, but the original Stude knobs don't fit. The knobs they have, though, are a pretty good period-appearing set; if you didn't know what the Stude knobs looked like, you'd think these came with the car.

'53 Commander
              Art Morrison chassis
              LS6 ASA/4L60E

Comment

There's also Redi-Rad, available for 6 or 12 volt.

http://www.rediscoveradio.com/
                "All attempts to 'rise above the issue' are simply an excuse to avoid it profitably." --Dick Gregory

Brad Johnson, SDC since 1975, ASC since 1990
                Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
                sigpic'33 Rockne 10, '51 Commander Starlight, '53 Commander Starlight "Désirée"

Comment

Thanks for the choises all.

Mike

Comment

Working...
                  X