Avanti in limbo

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Avanti in limbo

As I sit tapping this out, less than a half mile from me sits an R1 Avanti - all in pieces. The body work's been done (or maybe "was done" is more correct), it was nicely painted - body off frame - a rich red color. It's been sitting like that for at least 15 years now - body on saw horses, frame on the floor - parts laid out on tables. At least that's how I remember it when I last saw it a decade ago. Certainly a shame, and even tho the guy's a handy sort (a farmer), he's gonna be lost if and when he ever tries to put that big puzzle back together. I happened to talk to one of his daughters just a couple days ago and she confirmed that it's still sitting where I last saw it.

What made me think of this is the thread here with the Avanti owner looking for headlite rims. In the early 90s, I sold him 2 or 3 NOS rims still in the wrappers. I'm sure they're still sitting there with all the other stuff. I'm not going to pester him about them cause every time I've mentioned the car in the past, there's just no question about him parting with it. Goofy, but it is his to let languish!
    No deceptive flags to prove I'm patriotic - no biblical BS to impress - just ME and Studebakers - as it should be.

'Sounds like it is inside, Bob?

If so and it's off the floor so's the critters can't get to it, I'd say it's in a good place until he decides (or it is decided for him) that it has to go. BP
    We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

Ayn Rand:
    "You can avoid reality, but you cannot avoid the consequences of avoiding reality."

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Comment

Correct Bob. It is protected (although, how hard could it be to put a car cover over it?). I'm betting it eventually is offered for sale in kit form.
      No deceptive flags to prove I'm patriotic - no biblical BS to impress - just ME and Studebakers - as it should be.

Comment

Keep talking to the daughter; she will probably be the one selling it some day.
        TDITS The Dude In The Stude

Comment

Actually Randy, the daughters (there's two) have teased their dad about letting them have it. What they'd do with it, I sure don't know. I think they're just having fun poking ol' dad about his classic car that goes nowhere.

I actually know the prior owner. He bought the Avanti at a Stude meet in the 70s, IIRC.

Comment

Working...
          X