1963 Cruiser Cheap

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1963 Cruiser Cheap

I have a 1963 Cruiser four door with a split bench and vanity that I bought for the engine (289 V8). I planned on dropping the motor into my Hawk, but then decided to keep the car as I thought it was to nice to pull the motor from. However, now I am kinda being forced to get rid of the car as I have no place to store it and my parents want it out of their driveway, so I am back to the original plan of removing the engine to place in my Hawk. Now I need to rid of the Cruiser, but dont want anyone to buy it for scrap so Im giving you guys first dibs. The motor is not out yet, but the car will have to be removed by August. I hope to have the engine removed sometime in the next couple weeks and I will keep everyone updated.
    The car: automatic, four wheel drums, rust in typical places on fenders, rusted floors, trunk floor is in very nice shape, interior needs some TLC but not really too bad, paint is bad. The car is titled and located in St. Cloud MN. I would only want $300 for it as I think its worth that, but am open to offers.
    Let me know if interested.

Also, I have pics, but am still trying to figure out how to post them...

Comment

How much would you want for it with the engine?
      sigpic
      In the middle of MinneSTUDEa.

Comment

I used to live in st cloud and I have some family nearby. If you decide to keep the car together and nobody else jumps, I'd really be interested in seeing it.
        '63 Lark Custom, 259 v8, auto, child seat

"Your friendly neighborhood Studebaker evangelist"

Comment

63 Cruiser

Milaca- I really need to keep the motor for my 59 Hawk.

JimC- Well the car isnt going anywhere anytime soon, but I really do need to keep the motor unless I can find another that runs well enough.

Thanks for inquiring

Comment

Is your 59 Hawk an automatic or manual? If it is automatic, it might be best to transplant the engine and tranny from the Cruiser as the Studebaker engine blocks are individually machined to fit each automatic transmission bellhousing concentrically.
            sigpic

Comment

The Hawk is a 3spd w/ overdrive. I heard that I might be able to fit the 3spd onto the 289 if metered? Not sure what they meant by that. Otherwise the Auto would go in the Hawk as well I suppose.

Comment

I think you would be okay to mate the Cruiser engine to your clutch without any issues (though I am no expert). Is your existing Hawk's engine in running condition or what is wrong with it? I know rebuilding is very expensive but maybe it is something minor that could be repaired?
                As for the Cruiser, I may be interested in it for parts.
                It's good to see another local Hawk getting ready for the road, good luck!
                sigpic

Comment

Thank you I am very excited to get the old Hawk back onto the road. The original motor (259 V8) ran when I bought the car but locked up one day while running. Not sure what happened, but I did pull the heads and found that the cylinders looked decent. Idk, maybe the camshaft seized? There was another cam in the trunk of the car when I brought it home and also the fuel pump wouldnt work because the cam lobe wouldnt push the pump arm. I tried to pull the timing gear cover off to see what was going on, but I do not have the right size wrench to pull the crank pulley off. Also, I noticed the engine was leaking anti freeze and suspect the block to be cracked. The car sat for years in a field in South Dakota and didnt have any antifreeze in the radiator when I brought it home. I think someone attempted to put a new cam in it at one point and messed something up. I am going to pull the motor sometime soon and see if the block is in fact cracked. If not, maybe Ill rebuild it, but for now I need to get the car running so I can move it out of the garage im renting and get it home. Ill keep you updated on the cruiser.

Comment

You will have to dial indicate the standard bellhousing to the block. Shop manual details how. You'll also have to remove the pan, remove the rear main bearing cap to replace the flywheel bolts that re on the crankshaft and replace them with the bolts(shorter) from the automatic. The longer bolt will not aloow the torque converter to bolt up.
                    Hope this helps,
                    Kim

Comment

Originally posted by Milaca View Post
                      How much would you want for it with the engine?
                      Brent,
                      control yourself! it's too tempting when they're close by aren't they?

Comment

Originally posted by gohdes View Post
                        Brent,
                        control yourself! it's too tempting when they're close by aren't they?
                        I need to keep a stock of parts on hand for when a Studebaker owner in Coon Rapids needs parts for his car.
                        sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Milaca View Post
                          I need to keep a stock of parts on hand for when a Studebaker owner in Coon Rapids needs parts for his car.
                          ouch!

(good one though)

Comment

There is a chassis with 289 and automatic in Mi. for sale.

Here's the thread:

http://forum.studebakerdriversclub.com/showthread.php?63251-62-63-CHASSIS-amp-289-For-Sale

Maybe someone could mate the proper type of engine and tranny back to this car?
                            Home of the famous Mr. Ed!
                            K.I.S.S. Keep It Simple Studebaker!
                            Ron Smith
                            Where the heck is Fawn Lodge, CA?

Comment

Originally posted by kamzack View Post
                              You will have to dial indicate the standard bellhousing to the block. Shop manual details how. You'll also have to remove the pan, remove the rear main bearing cap to replace the flywheel bolts that re on the crankshaft and replace them with the bolts(shorter) from the automatic. The longer bolt will not aloow the torque converter to bolt up.
                              Hope this helps,
                              Kim
                              Hey thanks for the info! Ill have to dig out the old shop manual to see the process.

Comment

Working...
                              X