Interesting junkyard visit

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Interesting junkyard visit

Took wife to the airport this afternoon. I'm on my own til next week. On the way home I decided to take a look at a 57 sedan I was told about in an old junkyard, south of Fresno. Turners Auto Wrecking has been mentioned here before. He's got gobs of vintage tin, including a handfrul of Studes.

I tell Mr. Turner what I'm interested in, and despite my telling him which models would suffice, he has to go to the Hollanders manual to satisfy himself. Anyway, he summons one of his yard rovers and I'm soon being chauffered over dusty, rut-ravaged trails with fenders and tailgates and exhaust pipes whizzing by just inches from my right elbow! I decide to use the armrest - or what's left of it.

Turning left - turning right - bouncing all the way, we finally pull to a stop next to a hulk of a 55 Roadmaster. I can also see some early 50s Dodges and the rear end of a finned Hawk. We get out and my "guide" clears a path of parts and tumbleweeds as we climb over a tall berm to be confronted by a '57 Champion 4-dr. Still lots of parts on this car, but the right front fender is way less nice than a friend had told me from a visit he'd made awhile back. Rust is startin' to bust thru big time along the rear edge.
    I sorta groan and my guide allows as how I might like the green one better. Back into the yard vehicle (some sorta thrashed small SUV - but it ran ably). I few more twists and turns during which I catch a glimpse an orange Champ P1 longbed. Another hundred yards and we pull up alongside a 57 Commander 4-dr. FACTORY paint still GLEAMS as I let a door jamb see daylight in who knows how long! There's NO rust anywhere on the car - save for where the metal crumpled when the whole front end was mangled. While the right fender IS the one I need, I have to think about how much it might cost to straighten vs the one I'vfe already got. I stick my head underneath and am truly amazed at how clean it is in there. Half of what I see is that black primer that Stude used!

Still, the damage is significant, and so I decide to do a quick walkaround to see the rest of the car. WHOA! That deck lid is THE nicest one I've ever see. Truly blightless in any respect - and still locked. My guide surmizes that they'd have to go thru the back seat to get the truck loose if I wanted it - they didn't get any keys.
    I look at it for a moment - caressing it's perfectness like a valuable scupture - then think of Pete's key on my key ring. What's the chances? Probably not very good, I figure, But what the hay - I'm here, with the key...... I slip it in - jiggle it just a bit while turning the lock and "click!" - she pops open. Such a deal. I raise the lid - first time in who knows HOW long, and see the spare, some rags, and a close cardborad box. My guide says: "Wonder what's in that box?" while I'm already halfway into it. Well woulld'ja lookit that! It's a big box of new weather seals that never got used. There's an invoice from Newman & Alman dated 1990.

SO, I bought the decklid. Gonna get it next week. I might try to deal for the WS if I can get it at a price I fancy. Sure wish that front fender hadn't gotten crumpled. OH - the car had 55K on it when it was wrecked and had belonged to a doctror all it's road-running life. He musta been sick when it crashed.

The 5E Champ was tired but solid. It was sporting the T6 trim and had one of those late, late Champ grilles with "STUDEBAKER" on the lower lip. Was in pretty nice shape too!
    Last edited by Roscomacaw; 07-06-2012, 07:17 PM.
    No deceptive flags to prove I'm patriotic - no biblical BS to impress - just ME and Studebakers - as it should be.

Sounds like an exciting trip! You may as well buy that Champ grill while you are at it.
    sigpic
    In the middle of MinneSTUDEa.

Comment

Originally posted by Roscomacaw View Post
      Took wife to the airport this afternoon. I'm on my own til next week. On the way home I decided to take a look at a 57 sedan I was told about in an old junkyard, south of Fresno. Turners Auto Wrecking has been mentioned here before. He's got gobs of vintage tin, including a handfrul of Studes.

I tell Mr. Turner what I'm interested in, and despite my telling him which models would suffice, he has to go to the Hollanders manual to satisfy himself. Anyway, he summons one of his yard rovers and I'm soon being chauffered over dusty, rut-ravaged trails with fenders and tailgates and exhaust pipes whizzing by just inches from my right elbow! I decide to use the armrest - or what's left of it.

Turning left - turning right - bouncing all the way, we finally pull to a stop next to a hulk of a 55 Roadmaster. I can also see some early 50s Dodges and the rear end of a finned Hawk. We get out and my "guide" clears a path of parts and tumbleweeds as we climb over a tall berm to be confronted by a '57 Champion 4-dr. Still lots of parts on this car, but the right front fender is way less nice than a friend had told me from a visit he'd made awhile back. Rust is startin' to bust thru big time along the rear edge.
      I sorta groan and my guide allows as how I might like the green one better. Back into the yard vehicle (some sorta thrashed small SUV - but it ran ably). I few more twists and turns during which I catch a glimpse an orange Champ P1 longbed. Another hundred yards and we pull up alongside a 57 Commander 4-dr. FACTORY paint still GLEAMS as I let a door jamb see daylight in who knows how long! There's NO rust anywhere on the car - save for where the metal crumpled when the whole front end was mangled. While the right fender IS the one I need, I have to think about how much it might cost to straighten vs the one I'vfe already got. I stick my head underneath and am truly amazed at how clean it is in there. Half of what I see is that black primer that Stude used!

Still, the damage is significant, and so I decide to do a quick walkaround to see the rest of the car. WHOA! That deck lid is THE nicest one I've ever see. Truly blightless in any respect - and still locked. My guide surmizes that they'd have to go thru the back seat to get the truck loose if I wanted it - they didn't get any keys.
      I look at it for a moment - caressing it's perfectness like a valuable scupture - then think of Pete's key on my key ring. What's the chances? Probably not very good, I figure, But what the hay - I'm here, with the key...... I slip it in - jiggle it just a bit while turning the lock and "click!" - she pops open. Such a deal. I raise the lid - first time in who knows HOW long, and see the spare, some rags, and a close cardborad box. My guide says: "Wonder what's in that box?" while I'm already halfway into it. Well woulld'ja lookit that! It's a big box of new weather seals that never got used. There's an invoice from Newman & Alman dated 1990.

SO, I bought the decklid. Gonna get it next week. I might try to deal for the WS if I can get it at a price I fancy. Sure wish that front fender hadn't gotten crumpled. OH - the car had 55K on it when it was wrecked and had belonged to a doctror all it's road-running life. He musta been sick when it crashed.

The 5E Champ was tired but solid. It was sporting the T6 trim and had one of those late, late Champ grilles with "STUDEBAKER" on the lower lip. Was in pretty nice shape too!
      Could the Champ have been one of the California Highway Department trucks? I used to see them in yards around the Bay Area. They were orange, 259s and first-gear start a/t. In fact, I still have an orange wheel in my barn.
      Paul Johnson, Wild and Wonderful West Virginia.
      '64 Daytona Wagonaire, '64 Avanti R-1, Museum R-4 engine, '72 Gravely Model 430 with Onan engine

Comment

I don't know, Paul, but it likely was. It clearly had been orange all it's life. The body tag read 5E, so it was a '60.
        No deceptive flags to prove I'm patriotic - no biblical BS to impress - just ME and Studebakers - as it should be.

Comment

I have the engine from that car and a t-85 from the transtar (orange) at turners. He also has a number of stude engines and some packards in a barn that are most likely rebuildable

Comment

He aint parting with those cars until it's too late. (Gonna restore 'em) Although Jerry has been known to get a wild hare every few years.
            KURTRUK
            (read it backwards)

Nothing is politically right which is morally wrong. -A. Lincoln

Comment

stude 1964 - your mailbox is full, so I can't answer you.

Comment

bump - stude 1964, your mailbox is full and I can't answer your question.

Comment

Only a Studenut like you, and some others, would think: My wife is away, the first thing that I want to do is go to a junkyard. <G>
                  Gary L.
                  Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
                  Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

Close, Gary. I actually thought about it BEFORE she left. Of course, SHE wouldn't be surprized at all. <G> I'm lucky in that respect.

Comment

Bob, I'm almost afraid to ask... but did you see any 56's out there? Where is this place?
                      Home of the famous Mr. Ed!
                      K.I.S.S. Keep It Simple Studebaker!
                      Ron Smith
                      Where the heck is Fawn Lodge, CA?

Comment

No Ron - no 56s. It's just south of Fresno - on Golden State Hwy

Comment

how much do those Champ grills go for? `
                          1960 Lark VIII Regal Wagon

Comment

He wants $150 for that grille - I passed. Fifty bucks I could see (and I don't even HAVE a Champ). But $150??? I think he figures he's got a "hot one". He's wrong tho.

Comment

Working...
                            X