Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• okc63avanti
    replied
    I've been researching the records and invoices that came in a shoe box with my car and have identified its previous owners:

Monte Brown; San Antonio, TX 1951-1978
    Clarence K. Stout, Jr.; Universal City, TX 1978-1981
    Brinley; 1981-1982
    Wayne Nunnery; San Antonio, TX 1982-1983
    Rev. Ken Swearingen; Natchez, MS 1983-1997
    Chuck Bowman; Edmond, OK 1997-2005
    Charles Peterson; Edmond, OK 2005-2012

I've also figured out that its had some partial engine rebuilding done in past (ring job, turn crank) around 1999 and at that same time the car was painted and interior redone. The owner Chuck Bowman had a dues receipt for the Central OK Chapter of SDC. So at least one owner if not several were SDC members. If by any chance any previous owner is an active SDC forum member please contact me or if any of you remember any of these folks.

Thanks, John

Leave a comment:

• BRUCESTUDE
    replied
    My favorite year......

Leave a comment:

• okc63avanti
    replied
    Originally posted by Studedude View Post
    I wanna go! :-(
    Dave,

I'm flying to Akron-Canton, Ohio on July 26th. Will have a couple of days with Michael Myer to prep the avanti and then will caravan with Myer family to South Bend. I'll be there the whole week of the meet. Why don't you drive Sheba to South Bend and join us? After the meet I'm driving the avanti back to OKC so Sheba and Betty Jane could race all the way back to Oklahoma and with your Officer Dave Status you might be able to keep us out of trouble with any Smokies on the way back.
    Last edited by okc63avanti; 07-06-2012, 09:10 PM.

Leave a comment:

• clonelark
    replied
    Looks like a sweet car John, i'll be looking forward to seeing it.

Leave a comment:

• Studedude
    replied
    Originally posted by okc63avanti View Post
    You bet Matt .... I'll buy your adult beverages all week !!!
    I wanna go! :-(

Leave a comment:

• okc63avanti
    replied
    OK folks the seller of the car had a shoe box with receipts and I have all owners names going back to 1951. I'm the 8th owner of the car. Inside the chassis parts catalog there's a key to serial nos. and body nos.

My car was built in South Bend during 1951. The 51 Champion serials nos. started at G-1000001 and mine is G-1049971 so I guess that means that my Champion was the 49,971 built that year. The W5 on the body tag means its a (W) 4-door Sedan (W) and (5) means its a Champion Regal.

Leave a comment:

• okc63avanti
    replied
    You bet Matt .... I'll buy your adult beverages all week !!!

Leave a comment:

• mbstude
    replied
    Want me to bring you the windshield stainless? It's a royal PITA to install, but you may as well have it for the car anyway.

Yours for the cost of an adult beverage during a tailgating session.

Leave a comment:

• okc63avanti
    replied
    I'll see you soon Matt in South Bend and would love to get your ideas on improvements for lights, turn signals, brakes or anything other pointers you might offer.

Leave a comment:

• rockne10
    replied
    John,
    My '51 is still 6-volt and the tail lights/brake lights are quite bright with the standard 1158 bulb. Make certain all connections are clean and tight. Paint the tail light backing fixture brite white. Physics tells us nothing reflects as well as the presence of a full spectrum. 65 with the overdrive is sustainable but not up hill. Lock out the overdrive before cresting a hill. Freewheeling the downside can take its toll on brakes that were not substantial for the weight of the car from its inception. This is not your Avanti but...lots of folks are going to get a kick out of this ride.

Leave a comment:

• mbstude
    replied
    Congrats John. As you know I have a '51 Champion coupe that I take care of. They're great little cars as long as you aren't in a hurry.

I have the windshield stainless, but not the rear.

Leave a comment:

• Guido
    replied
    George Rorbach (Hi Speed Motors) should be able to assist you with your bulb needs. He sells 6V LED lights for Studebakers.

Leave a comment:

• okc63avanti
    replied
    Originally posted by StudeRich View Post
    It is a top of the line model, trim level 5. It has all of the trim except it is missing the Stainless Mouldings on the rear glass and possibly the front also. I don't have my Parts Catalog handy to tell you it's name but it may be Regal or Regal Deluxe.

Can anyone else confirm what StudeRich states regarding the model trim level for me? Yes it's missing stainless trim around the windows. ..... I wonder if Mr. Burnette might be able to fix me up?

Leave a comment:

• okc63avanti
    replied
    Originally posted by Studedude View Post
    I knew you were gonna go for it, John! Congrats!
    My thoughts on the way home ..... "Do the young kids of today know why I'm sticking my hand out the window?"

Dave - I need some new brighter bulbs, it has no directional signals and I don't think brake lights work. I'm going to look into some brighter 6V bulbs if there is such a thing. Fuel, Temp, Amp and Oil Pressure need some work as well.

Leave a comment:

• Studedude
    replied
    I knew you were gonna go for it, John! Congrats!

Leave a comment:

Working...
X