Proud New Owner of a 1951 Champion 4 Door

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Proud New Owner of a 1951 Champion 4 Door

Well I did it ... I added another Studebaker into my fleet. She is the complete antithesis of my 1963 Studebaker Avanti but with both vehicles being similar crimson red (Roll Tide Roll) they will make I nice matching pair.

Here's the pictures ....

http://s429.photobucket.com/albums/q...on%204%20door/

It's a Champion with flathead six and three speed with OD. It was a very hot (near 100 degree day) drive home. I bought her from a co-worker who lives in Edmond, OK and drove her home to Mustang (34 miles) via the Kilpatrick Turnpike and managed to hit 65 MPH, I'm not sure she had much speed left in her. I need to repair/replace oil pressure, water temp, amp, and fuel guage sending units as they don't seem to be working. Speedometer bounces but the co-worker who followed me home verified my speed so its pretty close.

Now I've got a question for those on the forum who are really familiar with these cars. What model of Champion is my car? The body tag # is 10G-W5 12440 and Serial # is G1049971.
    sigpic
    John
    63R-2386
    Resto-Mod by Michael Myer

Very nice looking Car! yeah I get what you mean your Avanti will be one of the fastest Studes. and this one...well not so much!

It is a top of the line model, trim level 5. It has all of the trim except it is missing the Stainless Mouldings on the rear glass and possibly the front also.
    I don't have my Parts Catalog handy to tell you it's name but it may be Regal or Regal Deluxe.
    StudeRich
    Second Generation Stude Driver,
    Proud '54 Starliner Owner

Comment

Congratulations on aquiring the "one Studebaker is not enough" disease!...many of us have come down with this sickness, or could it be a defective gene?
      Lou Van Anne
      62 Champ
      64 R2 GT Hawk
      79 Avanti II

Comment

Congratulations on joining the ranks of bullet nose lovers!

You can put some oil in the speedometer cup, just above where the cable comes into it. You can also disconnect the cable, feed the inner cable out, and put some fine speedometer cable grease on it. That will cure the bouncing.
        RadioRoy, specializing in AM/FM conversions with auxiliary inputs for iPod/satellite/CD player. In the old car radio business since 1985.

17A-S2 - 50 Commander convertible
        10G-C1 - 51 Champion starlight coupe
        10G-Q4 - 51 Champion business coupe
        4H-K5 - 53 Commander starliner hardtop
        5H-D5 - 54 Commander Conestoga wagon
        56B-D4 - 56 Commander station wagon
        60V-L6 - 60 Lark convertible

Comment

I knew you were gonna go for it, John! Congrats!
          sigpic
          Dave Lester

Comment

Originally posted by Studedude View Post
            I knew you were gonna go for it, John! Congrats!
            My thoughts on the way home ..... "Do the young kids of today know why I'm sticking my hand out the window?"

Dave - I need some new brighter bulbs, it has no directional signals and I don't think brake lights work. I'm going to look into some brighter 6V bulbs if there is such a thing. Fuel, Temp, Amp and Oil Pressure need some work as well.
            sigpic
            John
            63R-2386

Comment

Originally posted by StudeRich View Post
              It is a top of the line model, trim level 5. It has all of the trim except it is missing the Stainless Mouldings on the rear glass and possibly the front also. I don't have my Parts Catalog handy to tell you it's name but it may be Regal or Regal Deluxe.

Can anyone else confirm what StudeRich states regarding the model trim level for me? Yes it's missing stainless trim around the windows. ..... I wonder if Mr. Burnette might be able to fix me up?
              sigpic
              John
              63R-2386

Comment

George Rorbach (Hi Speed Motors) should be able to assist you with your bulb needs. He sells 6V LED lights for Studebakers.
                Join me in removing narcissists, trolls, self annoited "experts" and general idiots via the Ignore button.

The official SDC Forum heel nipper ���

�Middle age is when your broad mind and narrow waist begin to change places.� E. Joseph Cossman

For every mile of road, there are 2 miles of ditch. ���

"All lies matter - fight the kleptocracy"

Comment

Congrats John. As you know I have a '51 Champion coupe that I take care of. They're great little cars as long as you aren't in a hurry.

I have the windshield stainless, but not the rear.

Comment

John,
                    My '51 is still 6-volt and the tail lights/brake lights are quite bright with the standard 1158 bulb. Make certain all connections are clean and tight. Paint the tail light backing fixture brite white. Physics tells us nothing reflects as well as the presence of a full spectrum. 65 with the overdrive is sustainable but not up hill. Lock out the overdrive before cresting a hill. Freewheeling the downside can take its toll on brakes that were not substantial for the weight of the car from its inception. This is not your Avanti but...lots of folks are going to get a kick out of this ride.
                    "All attempts to 'rise above the issue' are simply an excuse to avoid it profitably." --Dick Gregory

Brad Johnson, SDC since 1975, ASC since 1990
                    Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
                    sigpic'33 Rockne 10, '51 Commander Starlight, '53 Commander Starlight "Désirée"

Comment

I'll see you soon Matt in South Bend and would love to get your ideas on improvements for lights, turn signals, brakes or anything other pointers you might offer.
                      sigpic
                      John
                      63R-2386

Comment

Want me to bring you the windshield stainless? It's a royal PITA to install, but you may as well have it for the car anyway.

Yours for the cost of an adult beverage during a tailgating session.

Comment

You bet Matt .... I'll buy your adult beverages all week !!!
                          sigpic
                          John
                          63R-2386

Comment

OK folks the seller of the car had a shoe box with receipts and I have all owners names going back to 1951. I'm the 8th owner of the car. Inside the chassis parts catalog there's a key to serial nos. and body nos.

My car was built in South Bend during 1951. The 51 Champion serials nos. started at G-1000001 and mine is G-1049971 so I guess that means that my Champion was the 49,971 built that year. The W5 on the body tag means its a (W) 4-door Sedan (W) and (5) means its a Champion Regal.
                            sigpic
                            John
                            63R-2386

Comment

Originally posted by okc63avanti View Post
                              You bet Matt .... I'll buy your adult beverages all week !!!
                              I wanna go! :-(
                              sigpic
                              Dave Lester

Comment

Working...
                              X