Noob needs some camshaft help with 63 Hawk

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Noob needs some camshaft help with 63 Hawk

I'm posting this on behalf of my father-in-law. He's much better with a wrench than a computer.

He is restoring a 63 hawk, with the original 289 engine. The guy rebuilding his engine has told him the original camshaft is unusable as one of the lobes is extremely worn. Now he is searching for another. The builder said he doesn't wan't a re-ground cam. After searching the web along with this site and the studebaker racing site, It appears there isn't much out there for these engines. He is interested in keeping this car as original as possible so he dosen't want a lumpy cam.

What are his options as far as camshafts go? Is a reground the only way to go? Are there other studebaker engines he could get a cam from?

While I'm sometimes surprised at the NOS parts still extant, a new cam is no longer easy to find.

Ask your builder why he refuses to use a reground cam. They're installed in engines every where every day. Properly done, they're perfectly acceptable.

One possibility is he means he doesn't recommend regrinding your particular cam, as it is too worn.

Are there other studebaker engines he could get a cam from?
    Yes, all the standard V8 cams from '54-64 are pretty much the same.

Let me know if you decide to use a reground cam as I can provide one.

jack vines
    PackardV8

Comment

Originally posted by PackardV8 View Post
      Ask your builder why he refuses to use a reground cam. They're installed in engines every where every day. Properly done, they're perfectly acceptable.

One possibility is he means he doesn't recommend regrinding your particular cam, as it is too worn.
      This is all second-hand information, but it sounds like he doesn't even want to use a "new" re-ground cam. I'm not sure what his reasoning was, but I'd be a little worried about using this guy if he can't figure out how to make a re-ground cam work. I'll see if I can come up with some more information from my father-in-law.

Comment

To some extent I can see where your engine builder is coming from on the re-ground thing. If I had a choise I would always go new if possible. But sounds to me like thats about all you can get now on a 289. If the back side of the lobe gets ground to far down it can lead to pushrod length problems.

Comment

...none of us are standing behind the shop's reputation....guessing north of $4k on the rebuild (maybe) you can't blame the shop for shying away from this....or at least I can see the rationale...

Comment

A "new" Studebaker, cast iron, mechanical flat tappet cam...that would be like going to Las Vegas and winning at every table you sat down at....for the rest of your living days...!

Not to say there maybe isn't "one" out there somewhere...but how do you go about finding it...?

Nothing wrong with a good regrind....AND...a "PROPER" breakin procedure.

Mike

Comment

Originally posted by Mike Van Veghten View Post
              A "new" Studebaker, cast iron, mechanical flat tappet cam...that would be like going to Las Vegas and winning at every table you sat down at....for the rest of your living days...!
              LOL

Originally posted by Mike Van Veghten View Post
              Nothing wrong with a good regrind....AND...a "PROPER" breakin procedure.

Mike
              Any recommendations on where to find a "good regrind" if it comes down to that?

Comment

Don't forget that you will have to get the lifters resurfaced too.
                Bez Auto Alchemy
                573-318-8948
                http://bezautoalchemy.com

"Don't believe every internet quote" Abe Lincoln

Comment

Originally posted by woodarhdsd View Post
                  I'm posting this on behalf of my father-in-law. He's much better with a wrench than a computer.

He is restoring a 63 hawk, with the original 289 engine. The guy rebuilding his engine has told him the original camshaft is unusable as one of the lobes is extremely worn. Now he is searching for another. The builder said he doesn't wan't a re-ground cam. After searching the web along with this site and the studebaker racing site, It appears there isn't much out there for these engines. He is interested in keeping this car as original as possible so he dosen't want a lumpy cam.

What are his options as far as camshafts go? Is a reground the only way to go? Are there other studebaker engines he could get a cam from?
                  I have some NOS camshafts. Drop me a note at bomarkham@embarqmail.com
                  Bo

Comment

where in NC are you (or the car)?

several members of the state's 2 local Studebaker Drivers Club follow the forum and could probably help.
                    Kerry. SDC Member #A012596W. ENCSDC member.

'51 Champion Business Coupe - (Tom's Car). Purchased 11/2012.

'40 Champion. sold 10/11. '63 Avanti R-1384. sold 12/10.

Comment

We're both in (little) Washington. The car is at a shop down near Wilmington, I think.

Comment

PM sent...
                        Kerry. SDC Member #A012596W. ENCSDC member.

'51 Champion Business Coupe - (Tom's Car). Purchased 11/2012.

'40 Champion. sold 10/11. '63 Avanti R-1384. sold 12/10.

Comment

Mike,

If your engine builder is worried about the toughness of the surface on the reground cam have it nitrided. It would be a good idea even on a neew cam. Call Comp Cams. See below.
                          JK

Nitriding is $105.00. What type of cam is it. Do you know if it has any
                          type of treatment on it already. Let me know.

Thanks

Steve Siegel

Technical Sales & Support

COMP Performance Group™
                          3406 Democrat Rd.
                          Memphis, TN 38118

Toll Free: (800)999-0853
                          Fax: (901)366-1807
                          ssiegel@compcams.com
                          www.compperformancegroup.com

Comment

Working...