Bully in Rocky River Ohio

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bully in Rocky River Ohio

As I posted before, there is a policeman in RR Ohio that has a thing about historical plates. He is on a one man campagine to make sure that you toe the line. Last week, a buddy of mine was coming home from a cruise. He stopped at a drug store on the way home, this guy followed him and gave him a ticket for misuse of plate. The guy said he was at a cruise, this bully stated, "you have to drive straight home after a cruise and get home before dark." Another guy was on his way home, stopped for gas, this same cop pulled in after him and gave him a ticket, same thing. The bully goes to car shows and cruises, parks his Vic, and walks around the cars, full cop drag, sunglasses, leather gloves and boots. He never says hello, he just looks the cars over and follows them as they leave. I am ready to turn my plates in and get regular plates over this moron. The mayor of RR is having a car cruise to raise funds for the city. It is on the 15th, I sure as hell am not going.

First off, get a printed copy of the law, and keep it in the glove box. Then as everyone gets stopped and or issued a ticket, GO TO COURT! also be sure that the mayor is aware of this, and that "his" car show will not be as succesful due to the "bully'
    I would also call the police departmentand get "their" interpertation of the law!

Jim
    "We can't all be Heroes, Some us just need to stand on the curb and clap as they go by" Will Rogers

We will provide the curb for you to stand on and clap!

Indy Honor Flight www.IndyHonorFlight.org

As of Veterans Day 2017, IHF has flown 2,450 WWII, Korean, and Vietnam Veterans to Washington DC at NO charge! to see
    their Memorials!

Comment

Barney Fife was a real hoot on the TV show. However, it is never funny when you run into one of these turds in "real life!"
      John Clary
      Greer, SC

SDC member since 1975

Comment

Originally posted by 52 Ragtop View Post
        First off, get a printed copy of the law, and keep it in the glove box. Then as everyone gets stopped and or issued a ticket, GO TO COURT! also be sure that the mayor is aware of this, and that "his" car show will not be as succesful due to the "bully'
        I would also call the police departmentand get "their" interpertation of the law!

Jim
        Many years ago I received a ticket from an officer who interpreted the law differently than me. I contacted his commanding officer explained the situation and the officer withdrew the ticket. I would suggest however that if this officer is the "bully" you say he will not withdraw it, but attention will be brought to his superiors about his "Barney Fife" behaviour.
        sigpic
        55 President Deluxe
        64 Commander
        66 Cruiser

37 Oldsmobile F37 4 Door

Comment

One of my motto's has always been:
          "A cop can do anything he wants, It's up to the judge to let you go"...

That being said, many communities have such tough budget problems, they look to obscure nuances in the law to use for revenue generation.
          They figure it is better to collect monies from the non-resident traveler, than from the locals.
          Couple that with the discretionary nature of the collector car hobby, and the mental justification for the action becomes easy for the police officer.
          Perhaps a meeting with the town board might help.
          Tell them that they are losing revenue from people stopping to shop at the local stores because of this officer's strict interpretation of the antique vehicle law.
          (Wouldn't it be a hoot to point out at the meeting that two of the board members have antique cars)
          Anyways, learning the mindset of the city board might tell a lot about the police actions being taken.

Originally posted by 52 Ragtop View Post

Jim
          HTIH (Hope The Info Helps)

Jeff

Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

Note: SDC# 070190 (and earlier...)

Comment

Where did he get you have to be home by dark? Lots of cruises last to dark and are 1 or 2 hours away. I have never been harassed by the police, state patrol or sheriff. It does state on the laws you can drive to club functions. if club wants to meet at walmart, so be it. I agree with above posts, this guy needs addressed.
            Randy Wilkin
            1946 M5 Streetrod
            Hillsboro,Ohio 45133

Comment

This is exactly why I did not get antique plates in IL. The state's Secretary of State's website states the plates and vehicle can be driven to and from an event and I believe there also was something about to and from a repair shop. If the conditions under which the vehicles can be driven and where they can be driven are posted, a driver doesn't really have an excuse for traveling outside those parameters. Believe me, I'm not standing up for Barney Fife, I just try to keep myself in the position that Barney can't hassle me for enjoying my car and driving it where and when I want to.
              sigpic[SIGPIC]

Comment

Contact the Sheriff or Cheif of Police that he would answer to and issue a formal complaint there. If he is scouting these cars at shows document that, entrapment is still unlawful. Steve
                sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by S_Ferrell View Post
                  The mayor of RR is having a car cruise to raise funds for the city. It is on the 15th, I sure as hell am not going.
                  Send your mayor an e-mail about this idiot, along with the link(s) to this forum and any others you have posted this on. It is certainly NOT good P.R. for your city.

Craig

Comment

IIRC, Rocky River was known years ago as having a revenue generating speed limit trap.
                    Gary L.
                    Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
                    Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

Well, I won't be touristing in Rocky River with my antique plated vehicles anytime soon if they're gonna get this picky, or with my regular plated Lark either for that matter. I'm all stocked up with these guys up here as it is, and in about 99 percent of the cases, no matter if it's wrong, the judge ends up siding with them .
                      1964 Studebaker Commander R2 clone
                      1963 Studebaker Daytona Hardtop with no engine or transmission
                      1950 Studebaker 2R5 w/170 six cylinder and 3spd OD
                      1955 Studebaker Commander Hardtop w/289 and 3spd OD and Megasquirt port fuel injection(among other things)

Comment

I think that contacting the mayor who plans to put on a Cruise is a great idea. He needs to know about this problem BEFORE the scheduled date of his event. You might drop the name of the officer who is the Barney Fife in this story as well.

All of this said, some of us from SE North Carolina are planning to caravan through Ohio, most of us have YOM tags on our cars. Will that be a problem? We all carry the regular plate we were issued as per NC DMV.
                        Last edited by JRoberts; 07-05-2012, 02:57 PM.
                        Joe Roberts
                        '61 R1 Champ
                        '65 Cruiser
                        Eastern North Carolina Chapter

Comment

I am in southwest ohio , so not near rocky river. I have 1 1946 plate on rear of my truck that is registered with state. I carry paperwork with my historical tags behind seat. To this date I have never been questioned about the 1 1946 plate, so I think as long as you avoid Rocky River, you will be fine in Ohio.
                          Randy Wilkin
                          1946 M5 Streetrod
                          Hillsboro,Ohio 45133

Comment

IIRC, matters of vehicle registration are a State matter, and Bully Boy must abide by the those regs.
                            The "after dark" curfew is a flat out lie. As mentioned above A petition or letter signed by as many participants as possible to the mayor's office prior to the cruise is a great idea.

We have YOM plates front/back on our '62 Hawk in Ohio, and have never had any issue.
                            In all of its use, a couple officers have verified presence of the modern plates "linked" to the YOMs kept in the trunk, but no harassment.

Bully Boy goose-stepping back an forth intimidating drivers sounds more like a one man "Village People" cruise, if you get my meaning..
                            Andy
                            62 GT

Comment

info about Rocky River P.D. - http://www.rrcity.com/police.html

i wouldn't be surprised if "Barney Fife" is an "auxiliary" (reserve) officer getting his ya-ya's out with a power trip.

either way, he apparently missed the class in their training academy regarding enforcing the "spirit" of the law, not the "letter" of the law - also "officer discretion".

as said above, a few calls to his chief or patrol commander should knock him down.

if going to court, i'd get a well known attorney in traffic matters. any testimony about the officer being at the car show earlier or following cars out of the car show site, should get the case thrown out.

my $0.02...
                              Kerry. SDC Member #A012596W. ENCSDC member.

'51 Champion Business Coupe - (Tom's Car). Purchased 11/2012.

'40 Champion. sold 10/11. '63 Avanti R-1384. sold 12/10.

Comment

Working...
                              X