Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Corvanti View Post
    info about Rocky River P.D. - http://www.rrcity.com/police.html

i wouldn't be surprised if "Barney Fife" is an "auxiliary" (reserve) officer getting his ya-ya's out with a power trip.

either way, he apparently missed the class in their training academy regarding enforcing the "spirit" of the law, not the "letter" of the law - also "officer discretion".

as said above, a few calls to his chief or patrol commander should knock him down.

if going to court, i'd get a well known attorney in traffic matters. any testimony about the officer being at the car show earlier or following cars out of the car show site, should get the case thrown out.

my $0.02...
    I have contacted Chief Kelly James Stillman, unfortunately I have had to leave a message on his voice mail and asked him to return my call. The duty officer assured me that it is not the department's policy to target "historical pated" vehicles but does admit that there are one or two over zealous officers. Hopefully by tomorrow I will have something to report. The chief must leave his office before 5 p.m. as I called him at 4:50 p.m.
    Last edited by 2moredoors; 07-05-2012, 03:32 PM.
    sigpic
    55 President Deluxe
    64 Commander
    66 Cruiser

37 Oldsmobile F37 4 Door

Comment

Now thats a zone director going beyond the call of duty....way to go Cliff !
      sigpic

Home of the Fried Green Tomato

"IF YOU WANT THE SMILES YOU NEED TO DO THE MILES "

1960 Champ , 1966 Daytona , 1965 Daytona Wagonaire

Comment

Different states have different regulations. If Barney hassles someone with out of state plates, be polite; then deposit the citation in the next available trash bin.
        "All attempts to 'rise above the issue' are simply an excuse to avoid it profitably." --Dick Gregory

Brad Johnson, SDC since 1975, ASC since 1990
        Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
        '33 Rockne 10,
        '51 Commander Starlight,
        '53 Commander Starlight "Désirée",
        '56 Sky Hawk

Comment

Originally posted by rockne10 View Post
          Different states have different regulations. If Barney hassles someone with out of state plates, be polite; then deposit the citation in the next available trash bin.
          and in most states now, don't go back to that state and get pulled over. if there's a court date and you don't appear, a judicial warrant will be issued and may be entered into the state's wants/warrant system...

"your state may vary"!!!
          Kerry. SDC Member #A012596W. ENCSDC member.

'51 Champion Business Coupe - (Tom's Car). Purchased 11/2012.

'40 Champion. sold 10/11. '63 Avanti R-1384. sold 12/10.

Comment

Dont give up or back down in your use of historical or classic auto plates if you can find in the rules/regulations that you indeed have not broken any laws. Fight this until justice prevails! If that doesnt work, post the officers name here so that we can all harrass him.
            sigpic
            In the middle of MinneSTUDEa.

Comment

Originally posted by 52 Ragtop View Post
              First off, get a printed copy of the law, and keep it in the glove box.
              I endorse this. If an officer is going to be challenged, you best have valid munitions. An officer is still a fallible human being; the law is the law.
              "All attempts to 'rise above the issue' are simply an excuse to avoid it profitably." --Dick Gregory

Brad Johnson, SDC since 1975, ASC since 1990
              Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
              '33 Rockne 10,
              '51 Commander Starlight,
              '53 Commander Starlight "Désirée",
              '56 Sky Hawk

Comment

I have just spoken to Chief "Kelly James Stillman" of the Rocky River Police Department. He assures me that he will look into the matter. He says that there is no vendetta against Historical Plates and wishes to be quoted as saying "anyone and everyone with historical plates is welcome in Rocky River, Ohio" he went on further to say that if you have a problem you may contact him personally telephone 440 331-1234.
                There are always two sides to each story but he will check things out on his end. He is supportive of the "Old Car Hobby".
                I personally hope that the chief does get to the bottom of this and has his "officer" show some discretion. One comment he did make was for those who have been ticketed "take it to court".
                He was very friendly and co-operative and I thanked him for his time.

I did have to explain what a cruise was but he was OK with that. He told me that they are concerned with people using their cars to go back and forth to work and daily shopping trips and he said he did not consider stopping on the way home from a cruise to buy gas or going to a drug store as "shopping". Nothing was mentioned about driving after dark.
                Last edited by 2moredoors; 07-06-2012, 07:56 AM.
                sigpic
                55 President Deluxe
                64 Commander
                66 Cruiser

37 Oldsmobile F37 4 Door

Comment

THANK You !! for going the extra mile, even thou i will never go thru Rock River , it still gives Ohio a bad name. I hope the Chief can make Rocky River a positive, instead of a negative.
                  Randy Wilkin
                  1946 M5 Streetrod
                  Hillsboro,Ohio 45133

Comment

The annual price for historic plates makes it very tempting here in Kentucky. But in reading the rules, I have decided against them, since they are very restrictive. I see cars here on the road often with historic plates, but with my luck, I'd be "busted" in no time.

Best situation I can recall was when living in California, where I was allowed to run original, 1956 California on the 56J. They were allowed with a regular registration, and so did not restrict use of the car at all. So I was a happy camper there. Too bad I cannot recall much else positive about living 12 years in Cali

Comment

Correction: Original, 1956 California PLATES on the 56J in California.

Comment

As I have said before the advantage of Historic or Antique plates in North Carolina is that having those the maximum taxable value of your car is $500. I think taxes is around $!! per year for each of my Studebakers. If it were not for that savings i would not pay the extra for the plates. No matter what kind of plate you have you can display a YOM plate as long as the current plate is in the car.
                        Joe Roberts
                        '61 R1 Champ
                        '65 Cruiser
                        Eastern North Carolina Chapter

Comment

Working...
                        X