Need driving tips from Ohio

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need driving tips from Ohio

Ok ,I know Iam a lot closer to South Bend than most, but wonder best route to take. My thought is to miss toll roads and most freeways so i can cruise easy and see the sights, but am I not thinking clear? I have already had my Studebaker damaged on freeway from flying rock off a dumptruck in the the faster lane. My truck will cruise at higher speeds, but is more fun at aslower pace. Is 27 a decent road?
    Randy Wilkin
    1946 M5 Streetrod
    Hillsboro,Ohio 45133

Randy,
    I did not take time to see where Hillsboro is, and I am sure you will get many opinions, but taking US 30 to 31 and north to SB is a good one, also if you can be patient with wide loads US 6 across is a good one too. Any State Road coming across Indiana is usually good, I have used them all. I 65 and 69 will probably have a piece of something hitting your vehicle. I have had that happen all too often. If you need specifics, please either post here or email me.

Bob H.

Comment

Hillsboro is 60 miles east of cincinnati, Thanks for info! I will learn as I go. I plan to swing past auburn on way and see the site and than move on to South Bend. I may be pulling a small trailer , haven't decided yet.
      Randy Wilkin
      1946 M5 Streetrod
      Hillsboro,Ohio 45133

Comment

Driving tip from John Clary...If you have Antique license plates...AVOID ROCKY RIVER!
        John Clary
        Greer, SC

SDC member since 1975

Comment

Rocky river doesn't bother me

If I go thru Rocky river it will be going to a meet and returning from a meet. No where in laws does it state I am not allowed to stop and get fuel or a sandwich. If he wants to write me up ,I will take it to the highest chain to fight it. This is a man that is jealous of our right to own a classic vehicle. Does he also follow fARMERS AROUND WITH FARM TAGS TO SEE IF THEY PUT GROCERYS IN THEIR FARM TRUCK?
          Randy Wilkin
          1946 M5 Streetrod
          Hillsboro,Ohio 45133

Comment

Gee, isn't it nice to know that the crime rate is so low in Rocky River, OH that the law can concentrate on the lesser crimes. Someone should let the mayor of Rocky River know what a thorough job Officer Fife is doing with those law breaking antique car owners. He definitely has our attention in two different threads.
            sigpic[SIGPIC]

Comment

Departing from Auburn, I would suggest SR8 (W) to SR3 (N) and then at Kendallville turn (W) on US6. Continue west to US31 (N) to South Bend. Kendallville has a windmill museum, as many of the windmills in the country were made by Flint & Walling and they have quite a variety and they are well-displayed. You will be near the Hostetler Hudson Museum in Shipshewana if you like Hudsons and you will also pass through Nappanee and Amish Acres. Not trying to plan your itinerary, but just giving you an idea of some possible places of interest. If it is near lunch time the St. James in Avilla is a good place to eat.
              "Growing old is mandatory, but growing up is optional." author unknown

Comment

The path of least resistance from where you are is to get to I-74 West, take it to I-465 North near Indy, take that to the IN431 (Carmel) exit on the north side of Indy, merge onto US31 North, and proceed to South Bend.

I have traveled US 33 and US 30 across Ohio. US30 is now 4 lane the entire way. US33 from Ft. Wayne to Columbus is still a little more "Traditional". Any other route should be planned to take in what's along the route, not to save time.

I used to travel to Sugarcreek, OH on business in the 1990's. US30 has vastly improved since then. I used to cut across Ohio on 30 to I-77 South. That was about a 5 hour drive, no matter what I did.

There's no direct route from South Bend to Cincinnati, so enjoy!

Comment

Thanks for the info! I am going to print above advice and try to get my GPS on the routes!!
                  Randy Wilkin
                  1946 M5 Streetrod
                  Hillsboro,Ohio 45133

Comment

Randy said he was visiting Auburn, so I started from that point.

Comment

Thanks Again

I printed off all info. Will combine the info to best use the routes I need .Thanks All.
                      Randy Wilkin
                      1946 M5 Streetrod
                      Hillsboro,Ohio 45133

Comment

If you do go to the ACD museum, go across the street to the NATMUS museum (Historical Truck Museum)..
                        Plan on spending a couple hours at each place minimum.
                        HTIH (Hope The Info Helps)

Jeff

Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

Note: SDC# 070190 (and earlier...)

Comment

Originally posted by DEEPNHOCK View Post
                          If you do go to the ACD museum, go across the street to the NATMUS museum (Historical Truck Museum)..
                          Plan on spending a couple hours at each place minimum.
                          Great idea! The restored Futurliner might be there for viewing if it isn't on tour.

Comment

Working...
                          X