Possible Avanti R3 On Craiglist

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Possible Avanti R3 On Craiglist

Was surfing Craigslist and saw this posted. Don't know if its an actual R3 or a "clone". Maybe one of you out there may be close by or interested. Its in Cherry Tree, Pa according to ad,

It looks like an R2 with an R3 airbox. There's only the standard two air breathers...an R3/R4 has five. Plus for the purists...no battery hold down! Oh...the horror!

There are other things wrong to even bother listing.
    Poet...Mystic...Soldier of Fortune. As always...self-absorbed, adversarial, cocky and in general a malcontent.

Comment

It definitely needs work. Figured someone here may be interested and could also tell if it was an R3 or not.

Comment

The price..$15,900.00 may be a bit steep, but it does have potential, and it is an R2--4 speed!

Comment

Paint looks bad, exhaust pipe sticking out under the drivers door, but any Studebaker is worth saving. I'd take a look but unfortunately, the "boss" sez two Studes are the limit .

Comment

Looka like it takes the 3EE battery, but has a 64 front end on it. Missing the 2nd set of breathers on the valve covers. Also has some sort of proportioning valve near where the M/C should be.

Jim
            "We can't all be Heroes, Some us just need to stand on the curb and clap as they go by" Will Rogers

We will provide the curb for you to stand on and clap!

Indy Honor Flight www.IndyHonorFlight.org

As of Veterans Day 2017, IHF has flown 2,450 WWII, Korean, and Vietnam Veterans to Washington DC at NO charge! to see
            their Memorials!

Comment

Heres another R3 wannabe in Watertown Minnesota on Craigslist: http://minneapolis.craigslist.org/cs...086331157.html
              I like it but I am sure they want way more than I can afford at this time.
              sigpic
              In the middle of MinneSTUDEa.

Comment

Originally posted by Milaca View Post
                Heres another R3 wannabe in Watertown Minnesota on Craigslist: http://minneapolis.craigslist.org/cs...086331157.html
                That doesn't even appear to be an "R" engine with that oil filter mounted vertically on top of the engine. Not just an R3 wannabe, it's an "R" engine wannabe all the way around.
                Poet...Mystic...Soldier of Fortune. As always...self-absorbed, adversarial, cocky and in general a malcontent.

Comment

Originally posted by Gunslinger View Post
                  That doesn't even appear to be an "R" engine with that oil filter mounted vertically on top of the engine. Not just an R3 wannabe, it's an "R" engine wannabe all the way around.
                  maybe not even a full flow, maybe a 259 dressed up.
                  Candbstudebakers
                  Castro Valley,
                  California

Comment

Originally posted by Gunslinger View Post
                    Yeah, probably just an early Block bored to 326 c.i.d. no big deal!

Remember the early blocks have VERY thick cylinder walls.
                    StudeRich
                    Second Generation Stude Driver,
                    Proud '54 Starliner Owner
                    SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

I looked at the car. The engine number starts with the letter P. so its not an Avanti or JT block. It has all the external parts though and an R@ carb under the enclosure. It has drum brakes in the front with a porportioning valve in the lines. The left side rocker has some rust and the right side has a home made replacement. The frame in the back has a new bottom plate welded over the original plates and the rear crossmember was eliminated. The interior was redone and is very nice. The paint has some cracks but it is red. I didn't ask to hear it run as it would have taken some work to get started, the master cylinder was missing and I wasn't interested at the asking price.

Comment

Originally posted by Milaca View Post
                        What is the large, black, two door, with the big quarter windows, to the driver's side of the Avanti?
                        Gary L.
                        Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
                        Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

Originally posted by studegary View Post
                          What is the large, black, two door, with the big quarter windows, to the driver's side of the Avanti?
                          That's a '69 Chevrolet Caprice Coupe. The way I know it's a '69, and a Caprice, (as opposed to a '70 or an Impala Custom Coupe), is the seats..the only vinyl available on Caprices then was the optional bucket seats in the pattern this car has.
                          Bill Pressler
                          Kent, OH
                          (formerly Greenville, PA)
                          Currently owned: 1966 Cruiser, Timberline Turquoise, 26K miles
                          Formerly owned: 1963 Lark Daytona Skytop R1, Ermine White
                          1964 Daytona Hardtop, Strato Blue
                          1966 Daytona Sports Sedan, Niagara Blue Mist
                          All are in Australia now

Comment

The Avanti in Minnesota has a body tag of RQ-262. I'm working on the chassis #
                            64 GT Hawk (K7)
                            1970 Avanti (R3)

Comment

Working...
                            X